I am with Sprint, on a corporate discount. This corporate discount stems from a job my cousin had four years ago. They've never asked me ever ever for ANY kind of verification for this discount I'm not supposed to have. 20% is pretty good and I want to ride it out as long as possible.

Turns out I just got a new job that gives me 20% off of Verizon. I want to switch because I want a cool new blackberry and Verizon is about to get the Tour. Until that comes out I am going to use the Storm. If I switch.

My question is: Does Verizon have the same "don't ask, don't tell" policy that Sprint has in regards to corporate discounts? Could I ride it out forever or should I just stick with the deal I have now and suck it up with Sprint's poor phone offerings?

Any advice is much appreciated!!

In case you're wondering I've taken blackberry all the way up the line with Sprint and just switched from Pearl to the new Palm Pre on Saturday and I WANT THE BB BACK. There is really no substitute, not even close.
    06-08-09 06:38 PM
    You have to have a copy of our latest pay stub. At the store, the rep will take an image of the stub, which will be attached to your profile. Once on there though, I don't think you have to "renew" or anything...
    06-08-09 06:44 PM
    Forever ever?
    06-08-09 06:46 PM
    If you don't tell them & the discount isn't discontinued, the discount remains indefinitely. You don't need to recertify or anything.

Now if you change accounts, you will need to recertify.

I kept a corporate discount for years after I left the qualifying company - it only went away when a better discount was applied. My discount at the time was a Bell System courtesy discount - because of my work for AT&T.

Imagine that - getting a VZW discount for being an AT&T employee. It was real and it was nice to have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 06:55 PM
    I've had a 20% discount with Verizon for 6 years. I've added phones, upgraded services, changed plans.. never been asked to re-validate the discount.
    06-08-09 07:05 PM
    I've had a 20% discount with Verizon for 6 years. I've added phones, upgraded services, changed plans.. never been asked to re-validate the discount.
    Same for me
    06-08-09 07:32 PM
    The ONLY reason that your corporate discount would go away is if the company you worked for canceled the corporate contract with Verizon. Then anyone who has that discount would be de-enrolled from it because the discount for that company wouldn't exist anymore basically. But that's the only reason I can think of.
    06-08-09 07:54 PM
    my friend had it then quit the job. he then walked into verizon and told him he quit the job..

the reps response was

"once its on there we don't take it off"
    06-09-09 05:49 AM
    I kept a corporate discount for years after I left the qualifying company - it only went away when a better discount was applied. My discount at the time was a Bell System courtesy discount - because of my work for AT&T.

Imagine that - getting a VZW discount for being an AT&T employee. It was real and it was nice to have.

That is absolutely absurd! But hey, if they wanted to give you the discount then more power to you!
    06-09-09 09:33 AM
    Forever ever?
    Yep, forever ever. I hear stories like the ones posted all the time. My wife was even able to get our lines of service a 20% discount because of where she worked and the Verizon account isnt even in her name. She hasnt worked there in over a year and we have since moved out of state, not a single question has been asked about the discount and if we still work for them or not, etc.
    06-09-09 09:38 AM
    i've been on a corporate discount for the past 8+ years now, but the company no longer exists for the past 2 years.
    06-09-09 09:40 AM
    Same here, I still have a Corp discount with Verizon from a job I was laid off from 3 years ago.
    06-09-09 09:49 AM
    Even when I buy something for my blackberry, I use my mom's account (she lives in a different state) and get her discount, because the vzw rep told me too...
    06-09-09 11:24 AM
    my friend had it then quit the job. he then walked into verizon and told him he quit the job..

the reps response was

"once its on there we don't take it off"
    Lol...its cool that the reps don't care...but why the heck would your friend do that? If I quit my job you can bet i'm not going to be trying to get rid of my discount...and mine's only 8% (unless I get a job that happens to have a higher discount...)
    06-09-09 12:36 PM
    it's up to the employer to update your discount info. so if you quit, they report it, not you.

also, ask when the corporate discount contract ends. it might change without you knowing. and the rep adding the discount can look up the ELEU profile and see how long this current discount can/will last. after that date no promises you'll get the same. you might get less, or nothing at all. it all depends.
    06-09-09 02:47 PM
    I am with Sprint, on a corporate discount. This corporate discount stems from a job my cousin had four years ago. They've never asked me ever ever for ANY kind of verification for this discount I'm not supposed to have. 20% is pretty good and I want to ride it out as long as possible.

Turns out I just got a new job that gives me 20% off of Verizon. I want to switch because I want a cool new blackberry and Verizon is about to get the Tour. Until that comes out I am going to use the Storm. If I switch.

My question is: Does Verizon have the same "don't ask, don't tell" policy that Sprint has in regards to corporate discounts? Could I ride it out forever or should I just stick with the deal I have now and suck it up with Sprint's poor phone offerings?

Any advice is much appreciated!!

In case you're wondering I've taken blackberry all the way up the line with Sprint and just switched from Pearl to the new Palm Pre on Saturday and I WANT THE BB BACK. There is really no substitute, not even close.
    LOL,, you sound like me. I have a 20% discount on my Sprint account too,, I haven't been employed by that company for 4 years now. Now with vZW, they will require you to either fax in proof of your employment with this company or bring the information into a local store. Sorry, I don't know that fax number by heart,, call VZW customer service and anyone can provide it. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointments with the Palm Pre. I thought that would've helped with things on Sprint's end. VZW is moving towards discontinuing sales of any Palm devices.
    06-11-09 04:02 AM
    damn I only get a 15% discount for being employed by the Air Force for Verizon.
    06-11-09 01:48 PM
    get a better job, n00b!
    06-11-09 01:52 PM
    get a better job, n00b!
    Hey now. You can leave him alone!

Picking on a member of the armed forces that way. . .

06-11-09 06:36 PM
    damn I only get a 15% discount for being employed by the Air Force for Verizon.
    Better than 14% and whole lot better than some others get
    Last edited by lastraid; 06-11-09 at 09:20 PM.
    06-11-09 06:47 PM
    Sprint customers really do need help.

06-11-09 06:57 PM
    Sprint customers really do need help.

Prepare to get flamed by some of the Sprint people that like to lurk around these parts.
    06-11-09 06:58 PM
    I get a 50% discount with my employer.
    06-11-09 09:18 PM
    Similar situation happened to me...

My previous job gave us a 15% corporate discount which we were able to sign up for online. I got laid off last April and when I upgraded to the curve last May I spoke to a CS rep over the phone and told them that I no longer work for that company. I even suggested that they remove the discount from my plan (which sounds crazy but I thought maybe I could get in trouble for keeping it). The Rep said that she would, but never did. So over a year later I still have the discount.

Certainly not complaining about it!

It's my impression that the company or corporation pays one flat fee to offer their employees the discount, so it doesn't effect them if someone who no longer works there takes advantage of it. They're not paying for each individual discount so whatever. I'll just hold onto it until it goes away on it's own.
    06-11-09 11:22 PM
    Hey now. You can leave him alone!

Picking on a member of the armed forces that way. . .

10char
    06-12-09 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD