I've been eligible for upgrade since july 09. had a 8830 world edition. That phone had major issues and a mere 64 megs of memory. The phone was constantly freezing, and if it werent for quick pull free to alert me when the phone memory goes <10megs I would have threw it under a steam roller!

I cannot handle a touch screen. My hands are way too huge. Not to mention I live in chicago and the majority of the time I'm outside with gloves on.

The curve 2 8520 was my first choice. However I really could not get past 2.0MP camera. Why would verizon release a new device like that when the industry standard is 3-5??? Long story short that was a deal breaker for me, so naturally I went with the Tour. Since we have 5 lines and this one is not the primary line, I was not going to get a $50 discount like the primary line would, or so I thought. I asked what I would pay, and the gentleman says $199 and then a $100 Mail in rebate debit card. Then out of nowhere he says I could get that phone for $49. I would just have to go into the store, have $199 plus tax billed to my account, then he would apply the $50 credit to my account.

I am glad I waited as long as I did. The tour on display was horrible...all the known issues were very obvious. I asked for a new tour. Wow. Battery door not too loose, trackball is flawless, no screen ripple. Didn't heat up too bad.

Well then I decide to put 5.0 on it from MTS mobility. WOW. Threaded sms, media player works better, phone runs even faster. Have tons of apps installed yet phone boots over 100megs. Amazing! Basically runs like a storm 2 but has a keyboard. PERFECT. Only complaint (which applies to all blackberrys) where in the **** is Flash support?! I think the actual speed of browsing is much improved (in comparison of 8830 to 9630). One question, why is it that I can tether my blackberry and browse at nearly 1.5mbps, but if I try to view the same videos and/or pages on my phone its a third as fast? Or if I want to download a 1 megabyte file on the phone it takes 1 minute, vs 10 seconds when tethering?

The previous 4.xx version of VZ nav was really beginning to tick me off. 10 dollars a month for this crap? Delayed like bloody **** and constantly locks up. Then to my surprise, verizon releases a new version of vz Nav. I can speak to it and tell it where i want to go, its home screen shows nearby gas prices, movie showtimes, weather, etc. I can also alert my friends on facebook of my gps location which is cool too for when I am on the train back home to west central IL.

Now that I have my beautiful tour, who wants to bet how long the factory screen guard will stay on??? So far so good! Who else grabbed their phone when House was on the other night???
    02-10-10 11:03 AM
    One question, why is it that I can tether my blackberry and browse at nearly 1.5mbps, but if I try to view the same videos and/or pages on my phone its a third as fast? Or if I want to download a 1 megabyte file on the phone it takes 1 minute, vs 10 seconds when tethering?
    When you're using data on any BB, data is routed through RIM's servers in Canada. Their servers encrypt the data and also does compression on it. This causes a higher response time and slower download speeds.

Where you're using the BB as a passive data modem (tethered through VZAccess Manager) you're bypassing RIM's servers altogether and going straight through Verizon ISP and therefore higher data throughput.
    02-10-10 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD