I'm kind of sick of my Storm1 and as of today, it won't charge with either the wall charger or USB.

I'm on a family plan. Can my dad cancel my line ($175) and then open a new line with a Droid with a 2-year contract price ($200)? Or is that against Verizon policy somehow? I'd get the Droid for $375 instead of paying almost $600 retail.
    12-28-09 12:20 PM
    Is your line not eligible for an upgrade? If not, you can cancel your line,pay the ETF, get a new line with the Droid but you will lose your number though.
    12-28-09 12:23 PM
    No, it's not. I actually got my upgrade in May of this year but I'm just so over the Storm lol It's really getting on my nerves lately and I'm just ready to get a phone that's not a POS.
    12-28-09 12:25 PM
    Is your line not eligible for an upgrade? If not, you can cancel your line,pay the ETF, get a new line with the Droid but you will lose your number though.
    Yeah, as long as you pay the ETF you can do what you want. Only problem is that you do indeed lose your original number. If there is anyone else on your plan see if they are eligible for upgrades and see if you can use theirs, that's what I've done hahaha.
    12-28-09 12:28 PM
    You should be able to just cancle the line and then add a line again to get the Droid. Have you tried the 5.0 OS on your storm yet? I've heard it does wonders for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 12:30 PM
    I've had 5.0 since it came out. It did improve it quite a bit but eh. I really miss having a physical keyboard and the Droid has both so it's a win-win
    12-28-09 12:34 PM
    Verizon has like a 6 month waiting period unless he is starting the new line with a different number

12-28-09 12:50 PM
    Oh well then good luck getting the Droid

12-28-09 12:51 PM
    I've had 5.0 since it came out. It did improve it quite a bit but eh. I really miss having a physical keyboard and the Droid has both so it's a win-win
    Only problem with the Droid's physical keyboard is that the keys are flush with no gaps. Clunky! If you have large thumbs, you're going to have a harsh learning curve getting used to that keyboard.

Personally, I'm hoping for later this year that either the next-gen iPhone or Storm 3 will have a slider keyboard. My 755p is getting very long in the tooth.

I prefer a physical keyboard, and am hoping that with the Droid's success that Apple and/or RIM will come up with a similar form factor. I just have a hard time going with Motorola, due to their recent quality issues. Not to belabor the point, but as mentioned above, the physical keyboard on the Droid is just clunky. To me it looks like something that was tacked on in the last stages of development.
    12-28-09 12:58 PM
    Whoa, the ETF isn't $175, it's like $350 for a smart phones ughhh
    12-28-09 01:10 PM
    My local Walmart seems to have the Droid for $500.00 without contract. I know its a bit more than the $375.00 you were looking at, but its still less expensive than $350.00 + $200.00. And! you get to keep your NE2 from the date you got your Storm! Just my $.02
    12-28-09 02:17 PM
    Double check, you may be grandfathered at the old ETF.
    12-28-09 03:33 PM
    I would suggest taking your storm1 into a store WITH tech support and tell them that it will not charge (call and ask if they have tech support). I had a storm 1 with the same problem. They will replace your phone for free (w/ another storm1). Next step is to find something else wrong (has to be manufacturers defect) with the next one and the one after that. After 3 or 4 they will let you change phones for free. I had problems with my click screen and tethering. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck Carl
    12-28-09 04:11 PM
    Is anyone else on your family plan able to upgrade and they don't want to use it? The primary line can get a new phone every year for like a$20 fee. I have done this before. It's called an alternate upgrade. My phone wasn't available for upgrade until 6 months later, and my dad's phone was able to upgrade. he only has a non camera dumb phone and won't be getting a new phone anytime soon. I was able to go to the store and they used his line for the upgrade but activated it on my line. It was very easy to do.
    12-28-09 04:31 PM
    Is anyone else on your family plan able to upgrade and they don't want to use it? The primary line can get a new phone every year for like a$20 fee. I have done this before. It's called an alternate upgrade. My phone wasn't available for upgrade until 6 months later, and my dad's phone was able to upgrade. he only has a non camera dumb phone and won't be getting a new phone anytime soon. I was able to go to the store and they used his line for the upgrade but activated it on my line. It was very easy to do.
    This is a possibility but in my experience, good luck getting them to let you do this. I think the manager of the store can do this if they want but they don't have to. If you try this option you will probably need the primary account holder there with you and just be really nice.
    12-28-09 05:19 PM
    I believe that is only for new contracts signed on or after 11/15/09 or somewhere around there.
    12-28-09 05:49 PM
    This is a possibility but in my experience, good luck getting them to let you do this. I think the manager of the store can do this if they want but they don't have to. If you try this option you will probably need the primary account holder there with you and just be really nice.
    Actually it shouldn't be a problem at all. It's called an alternate upgrade, I believe, where one device's eligible upgrade is used in place of the device that isn't eligible. Much easier than losing your number, and you save the $175 ETF (yes, the increase only applies if you signed a contract after 11/14/09.)

@OP: Another thought: add another line on the account. Again, it's cheaper than paying the ETF and you won't lose your number.
    12-28-09 06:05 PM
    I got my Droid yayyy

My dad called CS and they said they could give me the 1 year contract price without having to cancel my line. I got the droid for like $360 or something like that. Wooo.
    12-28-09 08:37 PM
    I would say that your best bet is to buy the Droid for the alleged $500.00 price at Wal-Mart, or just try to get a replacement storm that will charge and wait until you can upgrade.
    12-30-09 12:35 AM
    I would say that your best bet is to buy the Droid for the alleged $500.00 price at Wal-Mart, or just try to get a replacement storm that will charge and wait until you can upgrade.
    Umm he already got one, for cheaper......
    12-30-09 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD