04-11-10 02:47 PM
64 123
tools
    Long story short the businesses are out to satisfy the consumer not the other way around. You are providing service to us that we pay a great deal for stand behind it and do what's right by the customer. All you so called "reps" out there put yourself in the customers shoes when they are on their 4th or 5th device within a few short months think of how they are feeling and why you may receive a little hostility at times especially if we feel as though nothing is being done to resolve the issue. You are called "customer service" for a reason you don't like it get out of that line of work!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    See, I understand this. Really I do. And I really am always trying to put myself in the customer's shoes. I'm probably a little too easy on credits and such, and I give my work-email out without even blinking, despite the usual fear by most employees that the customer will never leave you alone. In fact, there's a lady poking me for some quick help with her HP-mini right now. I'm cool with that.

But one thing I've never figured out is how people go through all this equipment, and on top of that, have been rather, well, ungrateful when we *are* doing more than should be expected.

Case in point: I've had samsungs, nokias, LGs, dozens of oldschool pre-cellular palms... I've never once had one break a charging port, completely freak out on me, break a touchscreen to the point of not being able to calibrate it anymore, etc. One phone would reset if I closed the flip too hard. (Because that jostles the battery.) And let it be known, I'm VERY tough on devices. I'm a clutz beyond clutziness. When I do break it, I sigh, dig into my savings, and pay up if I need it that badly. Simple.

And yet, that all said, the only electronic device I've ever had with a recurring issue was an Xbox 360, and that wasn't anyone's fault but me and my cats. (Chewing the wires...darn cats...) And even when it was my own darn fault, Microsoft has given me FREE refurbs without being asked. I take what I can get and gratefully so!

Many of the electronics we currently enjoy aren't built to be sturdy. They're built to be thin and pretty, because that's what people keep asking for. But people don't take that into consideration when they jam at the screen with the stylus, absolutely mash the buttons, stick it in their pocket and sit on it, yank the charger out of the phone, etc... there's only so much that little phone can take! Many of the replacements we've given out as warranty have merely suffered wear and tear from the utter abuse people put them through. Hey, I recognize the cats chewing the wires was my own darn fault...

That's not even getting into the vast number of pure software issues we run into on a daily basis. Things that are fixable. And every one of these I get, I *sit* with that customer and I make sure they have the education they need to maintenance their devices alone so they *don't* feel helpless and *don't* have to call in.

I'm definitely willing to go above and beyond for any customer, as other customer service professionals have done for me. But this is a 2-way street. I do ask they stay civil with me, and also realize sometimes we, as VZW, *have* gone over and above what *should* be asked, often ten times over. And even if there's no apparent solution immediately, I ask that people only listen to my solutions and think practically and realistically. That means no throwing fits like 3 year olds, no throwing accusations at the rep who's just trying to help you, no tossing blame around, no begging for free phones off contract... just let the rep do their job, follow their instructions, and if you need a second opinion, well, sometimes that is necessary. But give us a chance to do our job first and understand there's a human on the other end of the phone who probably *does* take it personally. Because no matter how many times you tell them not to, you're still screaming their ears off.

The customer is not always right. If they were, we wouldn't need tech support to weed out the real issues with their phone lines or equipment.

Okay, I've had my say on this. Bash away.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 04-01-10 at 08:07 PM.
    04-01-10 07:59 PM
    One final follow-up response from me...

Yesterday, my 4th 9550 arrived. I used DM to transfer everything AGAIN, and called VZW to activate it.

First, the new phone. It's a 3-17-2010 model. New screen is MILES ahead of the old one. It sits perfectly flush in the phone, and it clicks cleanly and accurately all over the touch screen. So far... nothing but kudos to RIM for that fix. I truly WANT to love this device. I do. And, based on what they've done, I may finally be able to do so.

Now... as for VZW. I called the activation number, and ended up on the phone with a lady named Lita. Without asking me a single question about my recurring issues with this device, she noticed how many replacements I had received, and immediately texted me her name and personal extension, and said that, if I had another problem, I should call HER, and SHE would see to it that I receive a comparable device at no additional charge. I DID NOT ASK FOR THAT! She studied my account history on her own and offered that to me based on the trouble I have had with this (and ONLY this) phone. We then discussed the experience I had the other day, which is included in my first post in this thread. Long story short, she offered possible solutions to every concern I had. She didn't capitulate to me, and she didn't even tell me how inappropriate the other employees responses were. She simply apologized for the experience I had with HER company, and went about finding possible solutions. Bottom line is this... Lita, on her own, restored some faith in VZW CS. There are great, hard-working reps out there. And she did it on her own. Thanks to her for that.

Now... as soon as my phone was activated, a voicemail came through to me. I listened to it, and found a message from a gentleman from the VZW CEO's office. As of this message, I am still playing phone-tag with him. We have yet to speak directly. BUT, we have tried to reach each other twice by phone, and I have received an email response from him as well. I am hoping to speak to him today, and I will most certainly tell him about the terrific service I received from Lita.

I'm not going to leave Verizon now. And the efforts made by these two people are the reason why. Guys... I certainly don't advocate complaining for the sake of complaining, or when things simply don't go your way. But, their reactions to my legitimate problems have been more than I needed to stay with them as a service provider. It can, and DOES, happen.
    04-02-10 10:06 AM
    Good for you. I'm glad you got some resolution to your issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 10:10 AM
    Nobody said we were entitled to anything except what we pay for nor do we deserve brownie points. I pay my money to them on time every month and that's what they expect of me. I expect good service and products in return. Its simple and logical and completely fair

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    We are talking about electronic devices. Thats what a phone is, correct? Some have flaws as they are mass produced, they arent handmade in a factory somewhere. When RIM ships 50,000 units to Verizon to distribute amongst our stores they are presumably in perfect working condition.....in a perfect world. Well guess what? This isnt a perfect world and sh*t happens. Some people have great luck with phones, some just seem to always get the defective ones.....oddly enough the people that get the defective ones are the same people that feel that are entitled to everything and are generally a pain in the you know what.

When your DVD player breaks what do you do? You buy a new one. I understand you dont have a contract on your DVD player but at the same time its your responsibility to read T&Cs before you sign them. If you signed your contract without knowing what it said....not our fault. Basically what im saying is....there are options that get exercised daily. Insurance, CLN replacements, our new phone replacement program. To feel that you should get whatever you want is crazy talk.
    Last edited by itsthemusic; 04-02-10 at 10:35 AM.
    04-02-10 10:25 AM
    Glad the problem got resolved to your satisfaction.
    04-02-10 10:36 AM
    This has been an interesting conversation and one that will be fun to follow as others think hard and serious about just what "customer service" really means (or should mean); keeping in mind that it's from the perspective of a megalith corporation.

10SE, it appears you're finally getting the service/treatment you wanted, even more than you wanted and that's terrific, glad to hear...um, read it! Please do let us know how it goes with the management office conversation.

Polychrome, I think you're right on target, but I'd like to add a little to it. The fact of the matter is, any corporation can make a "customer service policy" heck, a manual, and school their reps on how to interpret that model and implement it. Sort of like the US Constitution, it's a set of rules AND guidelines that are subject to interpretation. You can have either "strict" interpretation or a loose one and ultimately, it winds up being up to the rep to make that decision. We've all heard the "this call may be recorded for quality control purposes" announcement when we call in. How often that's done and how often those recordings are scrutinized is unknown, but it does at least appear that there is some QC going on. You can't have a bazillion people out there representing you without some good, QC.

To the customer calling in, the rep they get on the phone IS Verizon (or whomever) they are what is known as the "gate keeper" and as such, they can make or break the customer's view of the corporation. As I've said before, I am not certain it is a job I could do. Handling complaints all day long has got to be challenging. That is why I ALWAYS try and be friendly and cordial to whatever rep I get, regardless of what I'm feeling about the corporation, the problem, the item about which I'm calling for help with. I realize the rep got up, made some coffee, got the kids or whatever, settled and then shot off to fight traffic and make it to work on time. They're just like most everyone else. They sit down at their desk, put their headset on and hit the button for their first call. The tone of that call may well dictate how the rest of the day is going to go, but in the end, it was never their fault to begin with that whatever problem is occurring, ever even happened. You (both the customer and the CS rep) can get much further being nice than being an *** but that does all have to take place within the rules/guidelines. I highly doubt that I could have personally been the one who, working at WalMart (see my post above) would take back the Sears hammer, but kudos to the person who did. The whole proposition of being a CS is one of give and take (in most cases) and they have to balance those who abuse vs. those who have legitimate issues.
    04-02-10 01:11 PM
    This has been an interesting conversation and one that will be fun to follow as others think hard and serious about just what "customer service" really means (or should mean); keeping in mind that it's from the perspective of a megalith corporation.

10SE, it appears you're finally getting the service/treatment you wanted, even more than you wanted and that's terrific, glad to hear...um, read it! Please do let us know how it goes with the management office conversation.

Polychrome, I think you're right on target, but I'd like to add a little to it. The fact of the matter is, any corporation can make a "customer service policy" heck, a manual, and school their reps on how to interpret that model and implement it. Sort of like the US Constitution, it's a set of rules AND guidelines that are subject to interpretation. You can have either "strict" interpretation or a loose one and ultimately, it winds up being up to the rep to make that decision. We've all heard the "this call may be recorded for quality control purposes" announcement when we call in. How often that's done and how often those recordings are scrutinized is unknown, but it does at least appear that there is some QC going on. You can't have a bazillion people out there representing you without some good, QC.

To the customer calling in, the rep they get on the phone IS Verizon (or whomever) they are what is known as the "gate keeper" and as such, they can make or break the customer's view of the corporation. As I've said before, I am not certain it is a job I could do. Handling complaints all day long has got to be challenging. That is why I ALWAYS try and be friendly and cordial to whatever rep I get, regardless of what I'm feeling about the corporation, the problem, the item about which I'm calling for help with. I realize the rep got up, made some coffee, got the kids or whatever, settled and then shot off to fight traffic and make it to work on time. They're just like most everyone else. They sit down at their desk, put their headset on and hit the button for their first call. The tone of that call may well dictate how the rest of the day is going to go, but in the end, it was never their fault to begin with that whatever problem is occurring, ever even happened. You (both the customer and the CS rep) can get much further being nice than being an *** but that does all have to take place within the rules/guidelines. I highly doubt that I could have personally been the one who, working at WalMart (see my post above) would take back the Sears hammer, but kudos to the person who did. The whole proposition of being a CS is one of give and take (in most cases) and they have to balance those who abuse vs. those who have legitimate issues.
    I agree with what you say, but a lot of people it would seem are annoyed with VZW because they want to protect themselves against people who abuse the system while providing good service to people who do not.

- Increase in ETF fees resulted from people abusing the system.
    - No more multi-FRU resulted from people abusing the system.
    - BOGO with restrictions resulted from people abusing the system.
    - Mandatory use of insurance to replace damaged phones resulted from people abusing the system.
    - Increase in Asurion fees for smartphones I can only guess resulted from customer abuse.

Sometimes you get exceptional customer service when you don't deserve it, eg the manager of the store replaces your phone even though it was water damaged.

A lot of customer service revolves around account and billing questions, and it's true these have to be handled case by case. But the policies around phone replacements should be standard.
    04-03-10 10:43 PM
    So what we learned from this whole ordeal is....
    Keep crying you will eventually get a phone that works and of u call vzw and act nice they will work with u... Kind of common sense treat others with respect and you will be treated with respect. The fact that the phone is faulty isn't the reps fault and the equipment charge is easily reversed if it in fact needs to be.

04-04-10 11:13 AM
    We are talking about electronic devices. Thats what a phone is, correct? Some have flaws as they are mass produced, they arent handmade in a factory somewhere. When RIM ships 50,000 units to Verizon to distribute amongst our stores they are presumably in perfect working condition.....in a perfect world. Well guess what? This isnt a perfect world and sh*t happens. Some people have great luck with phones, some just seem to always get the defective ones.....oddly enough the people that get the defective ones are the same people that feel that are entitled to everything and are generally a pain in the you know what.

When your DVD player breaks what do you do? You buy a new one. I understand you dont have a contract on your DVD player but at the same time its your responsibility to read T&Cs before you sign them. If you signed your contract without knowing what it said....not our fault. Basically what im saying is....there are options that get exercised daily. Insurance, CLN replacements, our new phone replacement program. To feel that you should get whatever you want is crazy talk.
    See thats what none of you are getting, nobody ever said once that they are entitled to everything if they have problems with their phones. Verizon is the one using RIM's phones for their customers. If they can't stand behind the product when they turn into junk "electronic" or not then they are not a good business and not someone I would wanna continue to work with. Simple fact yes they are electronics and will have problems, so help your customers when this happens and do everything possible to make them happy. Electronic or not anything I buy that does not work right or breaks for no reason or is flawed from the factory, I'm either calling customer service or returning. I'm using my money to buy something I expect to get what I pay for. Ever heard of that saying?
    04-05-10 04:30 AM
    See thats what none of you are getting, nobody ever said once that they are entitled to everything if they have problems with their phones. Verizon is the one using RIM's phones for their customers. If they can't stand behind the product when they turn into junk "electronic" or not then they are not a good business and not someone I would wanna continue to work with. Simple fact yes they are electronics and will have problems, so help your customers when this happens and do everything possible to make them happy. Electronic or not anything I buy that does not work right or breaks for no reason or is flawed from the factory, I'm either calling customer service or returning. I'm using my money to buy something I expect to get what I pay for. Ever heard of that saying?
    I agree if a phone is defective, Verizon should and usually does take it back. They even take it back when there is evidence of user error. So I think VZW attempts to provide good customer service to the best it can.

Phones are warrantied for a year for a reason.
    04-05-10 10:10 AM
    I've had verizon for about ten years and their customer service has always been hit or miss for me, either its really good or really bad, but the reps that are really good always seem to be there year after year, the ones that were rude didn't last very long and I've never seen them more then once

04-05-10 12:33 PM

I'm not going to leave Verizon now. And the efforts made by these two people are the reason why. Guys... I certainly don't advocate complaining for the sake of complaining, or when things simply don't go your way. But, their reactions to my legitimate problems have been more than I needed to stay with them as a service provider. It can, and DOES, happen.
    The experience you have described from these two people is what every rep is SUPPOSED to provide. It's part of our first call resolution and going above and beyond the customer's needs and expectations. I'm glad you found a resolution and someone who showed these qualities.

The customer is not always right, but it is never right to ignore the customer's concerns.
    04-10-10 05:54 PM
    I agree with the spirit and intent of your response, I'd like to add a caveat. "The Customer Is Always Right...............in their own mind!" Unless the customer is intentionally trying to abuse the system, which I'm sure is not at all a rare occurrence, no matter how silly/mundane/irrelevant the issue is, to the customer, they're "right." Where I'm sure I'd fail as a customer service rep, would be walking that fine line of KNOWING the customer is NOT right, but also keeping in mind that they don't know this and how to find middle ground!

My own experience with VZW CS has been nothing short of exemplary with only the occasional frustration of dealing with them feeling compelled to have me do stuff that A. I had told them I had already done the recommendation a million times (i.e., battery pull) or, B. their resorting to the easy-out solution of either telling me to do a wipe/re-install or, offering to send me a replacement. I realize it's a matter of scale, my problem is but one of hundreds they'll have to deal with that day, but still, it frustrates me. I harken back to the early days of Windows where the standard response was "Reinstall Windows." Arrrrrghhhhh! Oh yeah, and let's not forget the standard "Really? Gee, we've not heard of that before."

The experience you have described from these two people is what every rep is SUPPOSED to provide. It's part of our first call resolution and going above and beyond the customer's needs and expectations. I'm glad you found a resolution and someone who showed these qualities.

The customer is not always right, but it is never right to ignore the customer's concerns.
    04-10-10 06:17 PM
    My own experience with VZW CS has been nothing short of exemplary with only the occasional frustration of dealing with them feeling compelled to have me do stuff that A. I had told them I had already done the recommendation a million times (i.e., battery pull) or, B. their resorting to the easy-out solution of either telling me to do a wipe/re-install or, offering to send me a replacement. I realize it's a matter of scale, my problem is but one of hundreds they'll have to deal with that day, but still, it frustrates me. I harken back to the early days of Windows where the standard response was "Reinstall Windows." Arrrrrghhhhh! Oh yeah, and let's not forget the standard "Really? Gee, we've not heard of that before."
    Heh. Sorry about the battery pull thing. A lot of care reps forget to do it and it's kinda scary how many random glitches it fixes for most customers.

And the world hasn't gotten completely away from "reinstall windows" yet. I know because every once in awhile, we get one of those laptops in which the customer or their software has corrupted something in the OS, making it impossible to dial out. The fix often involves registry editing, which we're not allowed to walk people through. I cringe at the thought of transferring them to their respective manufacturers, because I know they're gonna toss that regedit fix out the window and tell them to get out their windows disks. :P
    04-11-10 02:47 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD