04-11-10 02:47 PM
64 123
tools
    I recently posted this in yet another thread that was debating the various merits of customer “service” and it seems appropriate here.

Years ago, I was reading a book on customer service. In the book, the author recounted a story about Sam Walton, CEO and co-founder of WalMart (let’s not get off on a tangent about the various issues regarding WalMart, for this purpose; I’m confining it to strictly customer service). During a very high level meeting one day, with Sam scheduled to be the keynote speaker, there was one fellow in the audience who was confounded about why he had even been invited. He was a store manager and the rest of the room was filled with regional VPs and other muckety mucks.

Soon, Sam was called to the podium and a hushed silence fell across the room. Sam took a sip of water and then reached down under the podium and held high, a Sears Craftsman hammer. “This was returned to Store #XXXX, I’d like to know who, ultimately, was responsible for this return?” The fellow who felt like he didn’t belong realized this was why he was here, for he was the manager for the store in question. He hesitantly raised his hand and said “That would be me, Sir” fully expecting to be reamed out, since WalMart does NOT carry Craftsman products. Sam looked at him and said “Would you please come up to the podium…” (That was not a question) and the guy thought for sure, he was going to be made a fool of at best, and fired or demoted at worse. He came up to the podium where Sam reached out, shook his hand and gave him back the hammer. “Folks,” he said, “This is what customer service is really all about. Our friend here accepted this return, knowing full well that the hammer was never purchased at WalMart, yet he gave the customer a refund anyway. Why? Because he knew that the customer, who seemed certain the hammer was purchased at WalMart, would take the money we gave him and go spend it in our store and they would return, again and again and again.” With that, the room erupted into applause.

Personally, I do not shop at WalMart stores, for a variety of reasons, but the gist of the story is remarkable. WalMart, and other stores like it, are famous for their return policy (back in the 70’s in college, I had a friend who bought a pair of shoes at Kmart. For YEARS, every six months, he’d return the shoes to Kmart and exchange them for a new pair. He bragged to me how he hadn’t paid for a new pair of shoes in 3 years) and as a result, their customer base is, by and large, hugely loyal and it appears to have worked. People buy there knowing they are buying from a “satisfaction guaranteed” store and will get what they want or they’ll get a refund. Too bad other companies don’t learn from this!
    03-30-10 01:50 PM
    I believe you are completely wrong. A store owner would want customers to let them know their product tastes like crap and if I get a cold slice of pizza you can bet I'm walking right back in there and getting a fresh one or if its hot but something tastes completely foul and I've had pizza there numerous times before you can also bet I'm going to say something. Same concept if your at burger king or mcdonalds or anywhere you get cold fries you can't honestly say your not going back up to get fresh ones. Your arguing just for the sake of arguing now you make no valid point whatsoever.

All you people who are against us so called "whiny" customers need to see the bigger picture here. You make the product or sell the product we buy it. Customer service is key in any business and any smart person would know that. If your service is not up to par against other companies your not going to get the business plain and simple people want a good product with good support behind it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    That's why I stated it was fresh out of the oven, hot. The customer complained anyway for the sake of complaining. This type of person will never be satisified.

Unfortunately ranting on the internet comes off as whining. If you want to "whine" people will react a certain way, if you want to state the facts and request help people will react a certain way. And if you start of by saying I've been with VZW for xx years and spent yy dollars with them and I'm entitled to.... Entitlements are a thing of the past.

I know in your post you are talking about the generic business have a generic customer service issue, but that is not the case with VZW. OP should get the same phone and get on with it.

Hey, I've had four tours and had to reload the dang thing four times. I'm not complaining about it, it is what it is.
    03-30-10 02:17 PM
    ===== QUOTE yamaha4eva ====

I believe you are completely wrong. A store owner would want customers to let them know their product tastes like crap and if I get a cold slice of pizza you can bet I'm walking right back in there and getting a fresh one or if its hot but something tastes completely foul and I've had pizza there numerous times before you can also bet I'm going to say something. Same concept if your at burger king or mcdonalds or anywhere you get cold fries you can't honestly say your not going back up to get fresh ones. Your arguing just for the sake of arguing now you make no valid point whatsoever.

All you people who are against us so called "whiny" customers need to see the bigger picture here. You make the product or sell the product we buy it. Customer service is key in any business and any smart person would know that. If your service is not up to par against other companies your not going to get the business plain and simple people want a good product with good support behind it.

===== /QUOTE ====

That's why I stated it was fresh out of the oven, hot. The customer complained anyway for the sake of complaining. This type of person will never be satisified.

Unfortunately ranting on the internet comes off as whining. If you want to "whine" people will react a certain way, if you want to state the facts and request help people will react a certain way. And if you start of by saying I've been with VZW for xx years and spent yy dollars with them and I'm entitled to.... Entitlements are a thing of the past.

I know in your post you are talking about the generic business have a generic customer service issue, but that is not the case with VZW. OP should get the same phone and get on with it.

Hey, I've had four tours and had to reload the dang thing four times. I'm not complaining about it, it is what it is.
    Right and I know so many people who return pizza or any food just for the sake of complaining fact is you get a crappy product or customer service or both your gonna complain about it.

You are correct however nobody is entitled to anything. If I just start at verizon and you had been with them for 5 yrs I should get the same service as you.

That being said customer service these days no matter where you go has a tendancy to suck. Cs reps don't want to deal with upset customers and a lot of times don't care it seems like and that's not right at all. As I've said before we are the customers the reps and businesses in itself are there to serve us not the other way around plain and simple. Do your job and do it right.

03-30-10 03:00 PM
    In the OP's situation I can understand the fustration. Unfornuately, the MultiFru program, designed for this situation, was removed due to abuse. So because there are actual customers that like to abuse the system so they can get a new free phone, people with actual problems have to suffer. We were told that some 79% (give or take) of the phones returned last year under warranty had no issues at all. Then the new policy went into effect because of this. So to the OP, I can understand that receiving the same phone is frustrating, but you are receiving the exact same option someone else would receive. So whether you've been a customer for 10 years or 10 months, this is the option everyone is offered. I hope it works out for you because on a case by case basis, exceptions are made. I hope it works out in your favor.
    03-30-10 03:21 PM
    Personally, I've learned to NEVER return food at any restaurant. I always envision the cook in the back going "Oh yeah? You don't like this?" as he slams the food on the floor or spits on it. Nope, last time I had to return something (item delivered was not the same as the item pictured/described on the menu) and the waiter asked if I'd like to have it redone, I simply said "no thank you, I'll just drink my coffee" and let it go. Unfortunately, that's not so easy when you're dealing with a product like your cell phone.
    03-30-10 04:04 PM
    Personally, I've learned to NEVER return food at any restaurant. I always envision the cook in the back going "Oh yeah? You don't like this?" as he slams the food on the floor or spits on it. Nope, last time I had to return something (item delivered was not the same as the item pictured/described on the menu) and the waiter asked if I'd like to have it redone, I simply said "no thank you, I'll just drink my coffee" and let it go. Unfortunately, that's not so easy when you're dealing with a product like your cell phone.
    Have you ever seen the movie "Waiting"...that's what I envision...*shudder*
    03-30-10 04:07 PM
    Last time I looked, the code of conducts is always, "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" I have had my issues with Sprint, gotten on them bigger than SNOT numerous time, even got them to CANCEL the two year contract on a device I bought just in January and never got charged an ETF, and they opened a NEW LINE for me without having to buy a new phone, so YES I am qualified for a NEW Phone right now, but I am waiting for the Bold to come out to purchase that.
    So yeah Verizon, can kiss my BUTTOX too, they they are trying to get me to pay them for a phone I had with AirTouch Celluar a line I had lost over 15 years ago, and they allowed me to open an account with them 5 years ago and they never said ANYTHING about that bill.
    VERIZON SUCKS!!!
    JOIN THE SPRINT FAMILY they care, plus they are also the ONLY 4G network, let Verizon gobble up all these other companies, people are really sick of how Verizon locks their phones so you hafta use their services where on other carriers will let you do as you please with their phones.
    Are you serious, can you get a me a copy of that code of conduct? Your the type of customer that reps would love to run into when they are out of work.
    Get a grip!
    03-30-10 04:19 PM
    I have no doubt that being a CS rep for any company is a constantly challenging job. Personally, I don't think I have the fortitude to swallow my pride and take the sort of things I see posted here. That being said though, your response is exactly why I don't think I'd be good at the job (as is the post by the person you were responding to). I don't want a job where I'm tempted to KO my customer! The phrase "You get more with sweets than with sours" is a two-way street and when CS reps are antagonistic and show attitude, I'd sooner hang up and get a new rep, than play therpist with the person on the other end of the line.

I have ALWAYS found that being polite, even humorous, and employing a "hey, we're all in this boat together" attitude, gets me MUCH further than being a **** to the CS rep. While they are limited by what the company says they can--and cannot--do, I also know that they have the power to either a. make my experience a good one or, b. make me even more miserable than I was when I called with my problem.

Are you serious, can you get a me a copy of that code of conduct? Your the type of customer that reps would love to run into when they are out of work.
    Get a grip!
    03-30-10 04:23 PM
    10se,

im pretty sure they will miss you out of millions of customers..hehehehe
    03-30-10 05:23 PM
    The first seemed to be a great device until one day, about three months in, when the screen suddenly went haywire and appeared digitized, or "static-y".

The second one arrived, I sent the first one back, and all seemed well again, until 2 days later, when I tried to take a picture. Camera and videocamera corrupted beyond repair.

Third 9550 gets shipped to me. Again, I return the defective one. This time, the phone is never really "right" from the get-go. I've had it for about a month now, and the green send key issue has progressively gotten worse, to the point that the key currently does one of two things... doesn't click at all, or clicks multiple times with each press. On top of that, the dreaded earpiece crackle appeared a few days ago.
    Blows my mind hearing stories like these. I mean, really, *FOUR* devices? For *ONE* person?

I've had the same 9530 since the day the Storm was introduced on Verizon and haven't had a single hardware issue.

Weird.
    03-30-10 06:28 PM
    ===== QUOTE 10SE ====

The first seemed to be a great device until one day, about three months in, when the screen suddenly went haywire and appeared digitized, or "static-y".

The second one arrived, I sent the first one back, and all seemed well again, until 2 days later, when I tried to take a picture. Camera and videocamera corrupted beyond repair.

Third 9550 gets shipped to me. Again, I return the defective one. This time, the phone is never really "right" from the get-go. I've had it for about a month now, and the green send key issue has progressively gotten worse, to the point that the key currently does one of two things... doesn't click at all, or clicks multiple times with each press. On top of that, the dreaded earpiece crackle appeared a few days ago.

===== /QUOTE ====

Blows my mind hearing stories like these. I mean, really, *FOUR* devices? For *ONE* person?

I've had the same 9530 since the day the Storm was introduced on Verizon and haven't had a single hardware issue.

Weird.
    I had 3 9550s before I got rid of mine and traded to a tour and that was in about 40 days so its not that far fetched just cause you had great luck with your phone doesn't mean all others will have the same luck!

03-30-10 07:56 PM
    Ahh.. I'm so glad I no longer have to listen to these types of cases each day anymore... Almost EVERYONE asked for a different model of phone no matter what the issue is.
    03-30-10 08:46 PM
    the op's best bet would be to sell the phone on ebay and just buy another device. Sadly, this my be the best option if you want to stay with verizon.
    03-30-10 08:55 PM
    One interesting statistic, would be to find out what RIM devices have the highest return rates. There's absolutely no way we can judge that from these forums, but it would be interesting to know for certain.
    03-30-10 09:55 PM
    Wow. This blew up, didn't it?

For the record... and despite what some folks in here automatically assume... I never once raised my voice, cursed, became argumentative, or otherwise did anything to upset anyone I spoke to about the issues I am having. I'm also not AT ALL a subscriber to the "customer is always right" attitude. I am, however, a devout believer in doing everything you can do to help a person who, through no (NONE!!!) fault of their own, is in a situation like the one... actually two... I described.

An example of a possible solution to the extra $54.23 in taxes on my bill... a simple one-time $54.23 credit on another, easier-to-access portion of my current bill. Maybe another "VZW rep" will jump in here and tell me what kind of ***** I am for thinking that something like that is even possible. Maybe even then go on to berate me for not reading every bit of fine print on my bill from 8 months ago, where VZW changed the policy on issuing one-time credits. Maybe.

I realize we're "only" talking cell phones here, and I don't want this to be misconstrued as a slight to anyone in customer service in any capacity... but, here's the deal: as a firefighter, if I were to take the same attitude toward the people I serve as the reps I spoke to yesterday took with me, someone's home would burn down. Or, they'd remain trapped in their wrecked vehicle. Or, the heart attack they were beginning to have would go only partially-treated. You see, in MY particular line of work, I HAVE to see the situation through to a reasonable resolution, or problems quickly multiply. On a comparatively minute level, I generally expect the same out of the people I give money to for service of any kind.

FWIW... I was not aware of the new FRU policy. Never had to even consider using it before (and, in my defense, none of the reps explained it to me when we spoke). This is the first VZW device I've ever experienced trouble of this kind with, which is perhaps why it is so utterly frustrating. I'm not trying to take advantage of VZW by returning "good" devices out of some ridiculous need to simply have something different. But, to use another firefighting analogy... if I try an axe four times, and it doesn't work, I'll grab a chainsaw. VZW would apparently have me continue taking fruitless whacks with the axe. As I said in the original post, I NEVER asked for a Droid, or anything else when I spoke to them. That post was typed out after a few hours of reflection, and the mention of the Droid was simply another possible solution I thought could have pretty quickly and easily made me, once again, a happy little 10SE.

I'm sure some will find something to bash in this reply, too. But, the simple fact of the matter is, I didn't do anything wrong... yet, every rep I spoke to at VZW, both in the store and on the phone, instantly took a defensive stance, as if I had. That's unacceptable, period. I know VZW can't just go around handing out new/ different devices every time someone complains or becomes unhappy that something bigger and better has been released. But, one glance at my history as a customer should show them that I am doing neither of those things.

So, bash away, internet warriors! I'm still waiting for that 4th 9550 to arrive. And, I'm still deciding whether to load it up and give it a chance, sell it and buy another VZW phone, or to just cut my losses and get myself either an iPhone or Nexus One on AT&T. I didn't post in here looking for sympathy. I posted in here so that a large number of VZW customers could read my dilemma and decide for themselves what they think about what happened and how VZW decided to handle it. I think they TOTALLY and COMPLETELY let me down. I hope they are better to each and every one of you.

Good night.
    03-31-10 01:07 AM
    Wow. This blew up, didn't it?

For the record... and despite what some folks in here automatically assume... I never once raised my voice, cursed, became argumentative, or otherwise did anything to upset anyone I spoke to about the issues I am having. I'm also not AT ALL a subscriber to the "customer is always right" attitude. I am, however, a devout believer in doing everything you can do to help a person who, through no (NONE!!!) fault of their own, is in a situation like the one... actually two... I described.

An example of a possible solution to the extra $54.23 in taxes on my bill... a simple one-time $54.23 credit on another, easier-to-access portion of my current bill. Maybe another "VZW rep" will jump in here and tell me what kind of ***** I am for thinking that something like that is even possible. Maybe even then go on to berate me for not reading every bit of fine print on my bill from 8 months ago, where VZW changed the policy on issuing one-time credits. Maybe.

I realize we're "only" talking cell phones here, and I don't want this to be misconstrued as a slight to anyone in customer service in any capacity... but, here's the deal: as a firefighter, if I were to take the same attitude toward the people I serve as the reps I spoke to yesterday took with me, someone's home would burn down. Or, they'd remain trapped in their wrecked vehicle. Or, the heart attack they were beginning to have would go only partially-treated. You see, in MY particular line of work, I HAVE to see the situation through to a reasonable resolution, or problems quickly multiply. On a comparatively minute level, I generally expect the same out of the people I give money to for service of any kind.

FWIW... I was not aware of the new FRU policy. Never had to even consider using it before (and, in my defense, none of the reps explained it to me when we spoke). This is the first VZW device I've ever experienced trouble of this kind with, which is perhaps why it is so utterly frustrating. I'm not trying to take advantage of VZW by returning "good" devices out of some ridiculous need to simply have something different. But, to use another firefighting analogy... if I try an axe four times, and it doesn't work, I'll grab a chainsaw. VZW would apparently have me continue taking fruitless whacks with the axe. As I said in the original post, I NEVER asked for a Droid, or anything else when I spoke to them. That post was typed out after a few hours of reflection, and the mention of the Droid was simply another possible solution I thought could have pretty quickly and easily made me, once again, a happy little 10SE.

I'm sure some will find something to bash in this reply, too. But, the simple fact of the matter is, I didn't do anything wrong... yet, every rep I spoke to at VZW, both in the store and on the phone, instantly took a defensive stance, as if I had. That's unacceptable, period. I know VZW can't just go around handing out new/ different devices every time someone complains or becomes unhappy that something bigger and better has been released. But, one glance at my history as a customer should show them that I am doing neither of those things.

So, bash away, internet warriors! I'm still waiting for that 4th 9550 to arrive. And, I'm still deciding whether to load it up and give it a chance, sell it and buy another VZW phone, or to just cut my losses and get myself either an iPhone or Nexus One on AT&T. I didn't post in here looking for sympathy. I posted in here so that a large number of VZW customers could read my dilemma and decide for themselves what they think about what happened and how VZW decided to handle it. I think they TOTALLY and COMPLETELY let me down. I hope they are better to each and every one of you.

Good night.
    Good response to all that. If you do decide to stay with verizon go with a Tour. I came from a problem dreaded s2 to the Tour and couldn't be happier. As I stated before I had 3 S2's myself nothing but trouble between the speaker and the bottom button crap its not worth it. I've had my tour for a month or so now with absolutely no problems. I'm still not happy with Verizon's customer service with me in the past, so once my contract is up I'm going somewhere else.
    03-31-10 05:25 AM
    The 53.23 should be disputed and you shouldn't have to pay for that. I can't sympathize with the number of phones, I've had four. The remainder of this thread is diarrea of the internet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 06:51 AM
    The taxes will be adjusted automatically when your next invoice in generated. No CS rep or supervisor can credit those back, not won't, but _can't_. Taxes are handled by a separate department. Period. CS has no way of crediting those back. That's not something that only affects you. So please, spare us the overblown self-aggrandizement over it.
    So typical of these companies. "It's not my department"....that is all part of the experience whether CS likes it or not, and it's up to VZW to make sure those kinds of excuses don't happen.
    03-31-10 10:25 AM
    I for one have had excellent CS from Verizon. My son bought a Versa and it kept locking up after a few calls they replaced it with a Glyde. It also kept locking up and they changed him to a Rogue. Weird as it seems it also would lock up,they tried 4 phone's each one locking up. We came to the store and the Mgr watched my son and agreed he was doing nothing wrong but yet the Mgr himself couldn't duplicate this. They fought through this just as confused as we were and finally we moved my son to a Intensity and have not had one minute trouble since.
    Verizon was always very nice and concerned with our issue and that is why we will stay loyal users.

Oh the only thing I can figure out is all 3 phones before were touch screen. This present one is not,I think my son is one of those people who have a hard time wearing watches that will run fast. Only a theory.
    I bet your son tried the Versa and Rogue only because you're a Nissan employee huh???
    03-31-10 10:49 AM
    not sure why lots o' ppl think that paying their bill for a service they use anyway somehow entitles them. no, i don't work for vzw. i realize the frustration but doing what you're supposedto do doesn't earn you brownie points. welcome to the world, folks.
    03-31-10 11:25 AM
    not sure why lots o' ppl think that paying their bill for a service they use anyway somehow entitles them. no, i don't work for vzw. i realize the frustration but doing what you're supposedto do doesn't earn you brownie points. welcome to the world, folks.
    Nobody said we were entitled to anything except what we pay for nor do we deserve brownie points. I pay my money to them on time every month and that's what they expect of me. I expect good service and products in return. Its simple and logical and completely fair

03-31-10 11:36 AM
    I recently posted this in yet another thread that was debating the various merits of customer “service” and it seems appropriate here.

Years ago, I was reading a book on customer service. In the book, the author recounted a story about Sam Walton, CEO and co-founder of WalMart (let’s not get off on a tangent about the various issues regarding WalMart, for this purpose; I’m confining it to strictly customer service). During a very high level meeting one day, with Sam scheduled to be the keynote speaker, there was one fellow in the audience who was confounded about why he had even been invited. He was a store manager and the rest of the room was filled with regional VPs and other muckety mucks.

Soon, Sam was called to the podium and a hushed silence fell across the room. Sam took a sip of water and then reached down under the podium and held high, a Sears Craftsman hammer. “This was returned to Store #XXXX, I’d like to know who, ultimately, was responsible for this return?” The fellow who felt like he didn’t belong realized this was why he was here, for he was the manager for the store in question. He hesitantly raised his hand and said “That would be me, Sir” fully expecting to be reamed out, since WalMart does NOT carry Craftsman products. Sam looked at him and said “Would you please come up to the podium…” (That was not a question) and the guy thought for sure, he was going to be made a fool of at best, and fired or demoted at worse. He came up to the podium where Sam reached out, shook his hand and gave him back the hammer. “Folks,” he said, “This is what customer service is really all about. Our friend here accepted this return, knowing full well that the hammer was never purchased at WalMart, yet he gave the customer a refund anyway. Why? Because he knew that the customer, who seemed certain the hammer was purchased at WalMart, would take the money we gave him and go spend it in our store and they would return, again and again and again.” With that, the room erupted into applause.

Personally, I do not shop at WalMart stores, for a variety of reasons, but the gist of the story is remarkable. WalMart, and other stores like it, are famous for their return policy (back in the 70’s in college, I had a friend who bought a pair of shoes at Kmart. For YEARS, every six months, he’d return the shoes to Kmart and exchange them for a new pair. He bragged to me how he hadn’t paid for a new pair of shoes in 3 years) and as a result, their customer base is, by and large, hugely loyal and it appears to have worked. People buy there knowing they are buying from a “satisfaction guaranteed” store and will get what they want or they’ll get a refund. Too bad other companies don’t learn from this!
    Just pointing out that this is an excellent story and post, and should be the motto for any company who wants to be in the business of "retaining" customers for the long hall. Sometimes losing is actually gaining...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-01-10 at 07:20 AM.
    04-01-10 07:18 AM
    Just pointing out that this is an excellent story and post, and should be the motto for any company who wants to be in the business of "retaining" customers for the long hall. Sometimes losing is actually gaining...
    That is why VZW has clearly upped the ante on a number of different policies in dealing with customer issues over the last few months. It will ensure the customers who have phone issues have a standard policy in place.

A company has to shoot for the stars and hope to hit the moon. With tens of millions of customers there is an absolute certainty some people will feel they got the shaft.

Ever wonder why the threads bashing VZW and their customer service receive more attention than threads praising VZW customer service? With tens of millions of customers it is inevitable some customers will not be satisified whether there is a legitimate reason or the customer just cannot be satisified.
    Last edited by i7guy; 04-01-10 at 01:00 PM.
    04-01-10 12:57 PM
    I fully realize we're all just hypothosizing about what VZW and RIM's motives and strategies are here (heck, even many of the CS reps don't know). Your reference to a "standard policy" is, to me, an ideal fantasy, but the reality is, policies seem to be all over the map when it comes to interpretation and implementation (witness all the people who complained about their S2's sticking keys and the myriad of responses from reps "never heard of this" "really?" "yes, we're aware of it" etc.

I agree with the "shoot for the stars and hope to hit the moon" analogy. Many people here don't realize that what makes perfect sense in a small world simply does not apply in the big, bad world of mega-corporations, perfection is not even in the dictionary.

Finally, regarding complaint threads garnering more attention than those that praise, that's simply a matter of the human ethos that all things negative get our attention before all things positive (witness the news media). It seems to be human nature that people prefer to complain but, when satisfied, never say much at all. It's far easier (and I guess, preferred) for people to come in and rant and rave, then to come in and say nice things. I like to use the adage "take what you hear and mulitply it by 4 and then divide by 10" when reading the posts. And yes, there are some (probably MORE than some) people who simply cannot be satisfied, regardless of the efforts made.

That is why VZW has clearly upped the ante on a number of different policies in dealing with customer issues over the last few months. It will ensure the customers who have phone issues have a standard policy in place.

A company has to shoot for the stars and hope to hit the moon. With tens of millions of customers there is an absolute certainty some people will feel they got the shaft.

Ever wonder why the threads bashing VZW and their customer service receive more attention than threads praising VZW customer service? With tens of millions of customers it is inevitable some customers will not be satisified whether there is a legitimate reason or the customer just cannot be satisified.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 04-01-10 at 02:09 PM.
    04-01-10 02:06 PM

While I agree with you, I have to point out that there can never truly be a policy in place for "everything" humanly possible. At the end of the day, good customer service is relationship between 1 rep and 1 customer, despite the fact that the rep IS representing Verizon Wireless. But I think most people feel positive experiences based on that personal interaction. When you attempt to have a policy in place for everything, I think you take the human component out of it. 2 issues usually are never the same, and to blanket them both with the same solution is extremely robotic and I think works toward negative CS ratings. When a rep has the freedom to act according to "your" given problem, it gives the customer the feeling that the rep is actually working for him/her.

At the end of the day, good policy doesn't "by itself" make good customer service. I think its the individual custom solutions to ones problems by the individual rep that makes the most positive impact.

I haven't had many issues with CS in the past, but when I have had problems, they were very unique and I'm pretty sure there was no policy in place for what had happened. At the end of the day, I hoped that logic and good intention would work in my favor.

Recently, I have noticed a tad bit of this "entitlement mentality" sentiments hidden within the psychy of reps. And I think the negative comments by reps here is in a small way filtering its way to the workplace. Its suddle and I would still not go as far as to say customer service is bad. But I can probably be safe saying that it has declined within the last 12 months. I hope that it changes because even though I've always disliked the expense, the past history of blocking features, 2 things always kept me loyal... great network quality, and great customer service!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-01-10 at 07:26 PM.
    04-01-10 07:23 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD