04-11-10 03:47 PM
64 123
tools
    A copy/paste of an email headed to VZW right now:::

To whom it may concern,

My 4th BlackBerry Storm2 is in the mail, on it's way to me today. Yes... 4th. All warranty replacements.

The first seemed to be a great device until one day, about three months in, when the screen suddenly went haywire and appeared digitized, or "static-y".

The second one arrived, I sent the first one back, and all seemed well again, until 2 days later, when I tried to take a picture. Camera and videocamera corrupted beyond repair.

Third 9550 gets shipped to me. Again, I return the defective one. This time, the phone is never really "right" from the get-go. I've had it for about a month now, and the green send key issue has progressively gotten worse, to the point that the key currently does one of two things... doesn't click at all, or clicks multiple times with each press. On top of that, the dreaded earpiece crackle appeared a few days ago.

Sidebar... my bill appears last week. Lo and behold, without so much as a phone call or email from VZW, I have been charged an equipment fee of $539 for "failure to return warranty replacement device", along with the requisite state and local taxes (another $54.23). Of course, I call them immediately. The CS rep "starts an investigation" since the tracking number shows that the package was received at the warehouse within days, but the device didn't get logged in. Several days later, I get an email crediting back the $539. Good, right? Wrong! Despite the fact that I did EXACTLY what was required of me, since the bill had already been generated, although the device charge can be credited, the taxes can't be. So, as I sit here tonight, I have outstanding taxes on my bill, due 4-8-10, for an item that I not only DON'T HAVE, but, never should have been charged for to begin with! CS was completely unwilling and apparently unable to understand that taxing me for an item that I do not possess is not only bad business practice, but is illegal to boot! Her explanation was that "since we are offering to show the credit on your NEXT bill (statement date 4-13-10), it's not a problem". But, when I asked her what would happen if I only paid my usual ~$160, rather than the ~$214 that my bill now shows, she advised me that any unpaid amount would show as PAST DUE!!!

Which brings me to today. Understandably, I am not thrilled with the idea of spending my time YET AGAIN reloading all of my personal items onto another new device and re-activating it. Yeah... Desktop Manager does a pretty good job. But, time is money. And time*4= four times the money! Since my local VZW brick and mortar store once again flailed helplessly, rather than do ANYTHING similar to what I believe to be great customer service, they simply ordered me another Storm2. I asked how many times I needed to go through issues with what has become the absolute WORST cellular device I have ever owned (since my first "car phone" in 1992). Their response was that they would continue to warranty replace the phone for as long as it was within the manufacturers warranty. I came straight home and called VZW CS, hoping for some semblance of reasonable resolution. The two reps I spoke to were not only less knowledgeable about the device than me, they were also very condescending in tone when I described my utter frustration with the BlackBerry 9550. The only suggested resolution by either of them??? "Buy a different device, or use an old phone"!!!!!!!!! As I finally mentioned that perhaps my best bet was just to take my business elsewhere, the CS rep told me "you'll lose your phone number". I began to explain to her that I most certainly would not, and she threatened cancellation fees. I asked her to add up the fees for my and my wife's lines. The total... $290. For that $290, and another $149.01 (a total of $439.01, if you're counting), I can have an iPhone 3GS and a BlackBerry Bold on AT&T for me and my wife, along with virtually the very same voice and messaging package, at the very same price I have with VZW. By comparison, the price for the comparable phone to my Storm2... the Motorola Droid... is $559 on VZW.com. I never asked to switch to that phone. But, I believe it would be the only flagship device comparable to what the Storm2 was SUPPOSED to be! So... the CSR then advised me that the 4th warranty phone had already shipped, and basically went silent, not transferring me, as I had already asked, to someone who could cancel my service. I finally spoke, and told her that I would just wait until the replacement arrived, and call back to cancel with someone else.

I am going to venture a rough guess that I have spent well in excess of $15,000 over the years that I have been with Verizon Wireless. For all of that, I am told by ineffective, ill-informed customer service representatives that I am stuck with the worst device I have ever owned, AND I am being unscrupulously charged a fraudulent fee for a mistake that Verizon themselves made.

Thanks for nothing.
    03-30-10 01:14 AM
    The taxes will be adjusted automatically when your next invoice in generated. No CS rep or supervisor can credit those back, not won't, but _can't_. Taxes are handled by a separate department. Period. CS has no way of crediting those back. That's not something that only affects you. So please, spare us the overblown self-aggrandizement over it.

As for having to get another Storm2, you can blame the people who've misused the Multi-FRU replacement policy to the point where it went away 2 months ago. Please note that it went away 2 months ago. It went away for everyone, not just you, but everyone does include you. Really. Believe it or not, VZW doesn't make policy changes just to take away what you think you're entitled to. Also it would seem that you've ignored the policy change notification concerning the new Certified Like New Replacement device policy that goes into effect on 1 April. Especially given that it would give you an different option, not that you're really interested in that.

I don't have the slightest bit of sympathy for you. You're coming across as an egotistical brat. Honestly, if you'd gotten me as your rep, I would've apologized for the FRU fee, told you that the taxes would get automatically adjusted, and that I'd be glad to send you out another Storm 2. Disconnect? Fine, here's your ETFs, because quite honestly, given the load of crap you put out in that letter, I'm sure you'd be whining and bleating about something else if it wasn't the Storm 2.

Why do you believe that just because you pay your bill that you're entitled to special treatment?
    03-30-10 01:45 AM
    wow i'm sorry to hear of all your troubles with VZW. Have you asked to speak with a supervisor ? Anyone i ever knew with VZW loved their network hated the customer service, so i understand completely. Sprint is offering fantastic plans right now! We'd love to have you over here!
    03-30-10 01:51 AM
    see i bet Doc Havoc is a REP! lol
    03-30-10 01:53 AM
    see i bet Doc Havoc is a REP! lol
    Yes, I'm a rep. That said, the best way to make me sympathetic to your situation and go above and beyond for you is to get indignant, be rude, interrupt me every time I try to respond, and scream over and over into my ears about what kind of special treatment your entitled to. Really. Works every time. Guaranteed.
    03-30-10 02:14 AM
    i think it's great that you've finally found your outlet to vent back at customers... ***bravo*** ***bravo*** guess you had to be able to do it somewhere and not get fired for it...
    03-30-10 02:21 AM
    Last time I looked, the code of conducts is always, "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" I have had my issues with Sprint, gotten on them bigger than SNOT numerous time, even got them to CANCEL the two year contract on a device I bought just in January and never got charged an ETF, and they opened a NEW LINE for me without having to buy a new phone, so YES I am qualified for a NEW Phone right now, but I am waiting for the Bold to come out to purchase that.
    So yeah Verizon, can kiss my BUTTOX too, they they are trying to get me to pay them for a phone I had with AirTouch Celluar a line I had lost over 15 years ago, and they allowed me to open an account with them 5 years ago and they never said ANYTHING about that bill.
    VERIZON SUCKS!!!
    JOIN THE SPRINT FAMILY they care, plus they are also the ONLY 4G network, let Verizon gobble up all these other companies, people are really sick of how Verizon locks their phones so you hafta use their services where on other carriers will let you do as you please with their phones.
    03-30-10 02:46 AM
    Last time I looked, the code of conducts is always, "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" I have had my issues with Sprint, gotten on them bigger than SNOT numerous time, even got them to CANCEL the two year contract on a device I bought just in January and never got charged an ETF, and they opened a NEW LINE for me without having to buy a new phone, so YES I am qualified for a NEW Phone right now, but I am waiting for the Bold to come out to purchase that.
    So yeah Verizon, can kiss my BUTTOX too, they they are trying to get me to pay them for a phone I had with AirTouch Celluar a line I had lost over 15 years ago, and they allowed me to open an account with them 5 years ago and they never said ANYTHING about that bill.
    VERIZON SUCKS!!!
    JOIN THE SPRINT FAMILY they care, plus they are also the ONLY 4G network, let Verizon gobble up all these other companies, people are really sick of how Verizon locks their phones so you hafta use their services where on other carriers will let you do as you please with their phones.
    This made me laugh...

Thanks for the useless post showing us that you unrealistically believe companies should bend over backwards to give every spoiled customer everything they want...

Apparently the Sprint rep who you spoke to didn't know that giving in to all of the spoiled customer's demands isn't a great business decision...

And by the way, I don't know any self respecting company that still uses or goes by the "customer is always right" motto...
    03-30-10 07:15 AM
    This made me laugh...

Thanks for the useless post showing us that you unrealistically believe companies should bend over backwards to give every spoiled customer everything they want...

Apparently the Sprint rep who you spoke to didn't know that giving in to all of the spoiled customer's demands isn't a great business decision...

And by the way, I don't know any self respecting company that still uses or goes by the "customer is always right" motto...
    Companies should learn to continue to go by that motto "to an extent".... we are paying for your service, service that we expect to up to par with our expectations. I have been through so much crap with verizon in the past I have lost all respect for their reps and the company in itself. If I had the money to pay the stupid cancellation fees I would but as of right now I'm stuck. Not only with Verizon but customer service in itself has gone out the window these days. Nobody cares anymore and its sad. I have had bad experiences with insurance companies, and my dentist in the past few months. We as the consumer are paying for your service that you provide, monthly payments we work hard to make at our everyday jobs, we expect you to work hard for us plain and simple.
    03-30-10 07:24 AM
    Companies should learn to continue to go by that motto "to an extent".... we are paying for your service, service that we expect to up to par with our expectations. I have been through so much crap with verizon in the past I have lost all respect for their reps and the company in itself. If I had the money to pay the stupid cancellation fees I would but as of right now I'm stuck. Not only with Verizon but customer service in itself has gone out the window these days. Nobody cares anymore and its sad. I have had bad experiences with insurance companies, and my dentist in the past few months. We as the consumer are paying for your service that you provide, monthly payments we work hard to make at our everyday jobs, we expect you to work hard for us plain and simple.
    Running a massive retail operation with tens millions of consumers will always result in a set of customers who feel they have been wronged or have subpar service. It's inevitable.

I'm small potatoes and I've spent a lot on Verizon also, yet I feel their customer service in dealing with my service issues over the years has been second to none. They have been fair, prompt and courteous.

Aside from the posters on this forum who claim they are from Verizon, some of whom act very unprofessionally IMO, and whose attitude I don't hold against the company (this is the internet, I'm a multi-billionaire industrialist), because in the end VZW does the right thing by me. (Actually VZW doesn't do it the employees do it, even when they are grumpy or had a bad day, like all of us.)

The great thing is the choices available to the cell phone user. You can vote with your dollars.
    Last edited by i7guy; 03-30-10 at 08:08 AM.
    03-30-10 08:05 AM
    I for one have had excellent CS from Verizon. My son bought a Versa and it kept locking up after a few calls they replaced it with a Glyde. It also kept locking up and they changed him to a Rogue. Weird as it seems it also would lock up,they tried 4 phone's each one locking up. We came to the store and the Mgr watched my son and agreed he was doing nothing wrong but yet the Mgr himself couldn't duplicate this. They fought through this just as confused as we were and finally we moved my son to a Intensity and have not had one minute trouble since.
    Verizon was always very nice and concerned with our issue and that is why we will stay loyal users.

Oh the only thing I can figure out is all 3 phones before were touch screen. This present one is not,I think my son is one of those people who have a hard time wearing watches that will run fast. Only a theory.
    03-30-10 08:12 AM
    Last time I looked, the code of conducts is always, "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT"
    I would LOVE to see which companies have this in their code of conduct.

Customers are whiny little brats, and when I worked customer service, if a customer had the balls to say to me "I'm a customer, I'm always right!" after losing it on me like most people do to phone provider CS', I'd politely tell them to get the **** out of my store. There's nowhere in any code of conduct for any business that says "Let people walk all over you and do it with a smile on your face."

This is just further proving people who only live as consumers (as opposed to providers or in any kind of specific service) are completely lost in their own misguided definition of what business is.
    03-30-10 08:41 AM
    First of all, on behalf of Verizon and its Agents, I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties. While the option of changing to a different device may no longer be available, there are one or two alternatives.

1. You may wish to contact the manufacturer directly. Considering that you are on your fourth BlackBerry Storm, RIM certainly has the right to give you a different device at its own cost. Candidly, the odds of this happening are 50/50 but the answer to any question you dont ask is automatically no.

2. You dont necessarily need to cancel your service. The rep at retentions has options that are available to him/her that may help your situation. Also, a supervisor in retentions has additional options beyond that.

Remember, Verizon will do everything reasonably possible to satisfy you.
    this was probably the smartest post so far

There's no reason to bait and decide whos a brat, whos right, whos wrong! This is just a conversation between CS and the customer that will end with both never taking again! Why reps take this so personal is beyond me! Do what you "CAN" and move on!

When I walk into a pizza shop, usually a nice Pizza man who wants your business will say "come again" right? Need your pizza reheated some more? SURE! Doesnt taste right? Lets see what I can do! Because he wants your business right? This IS just pizza we're talking about! What... $2, maybe $3 a slice? (a NY pizza anyway) Well, Verizon being a large company with 1000s of employees who take care of customers paying sometimes $100s a month for services plus commitments. This should be no different! And even though you (doc_havoc) are lost in the mix of employees, I guarantee if a supervisor saw the negative attitude by you, you would be fired! That is accountability for you in a large corporation! So preach about how customers are not entitled to special treatment (I won't even argue that) ... I will sit back and watch another rep replace you as you go to collect unemployment!

Please repeat after me..... Diplomancy!!! And anytime you are the one representing a business or establishment, the diplomatic responsibility lies with you more than it does the customer! And the motto "the customer is always right" is a managerial tactic that helps front line representatives remember that fact, regardless of what type of business it is.

And I do realize that here you have freedom of speech "SOMEWHAT" on your side! But just the mere fact that you have to hide behind that shows how wrong you are for taking the position that you take! I see a lot of hostile posts from reps on here. Yet, I dont see the attitude as much when I call CS... hmmm

And the sad thing is that it takes a basic customer (myself) to point this all out to company reps that should know this from an ethical standpoint! And lastly, bravo to gizmo guy... that is the proper approch to good CS
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-30-10 at 09:26 AM.
    03-30-10 08:59 AM

There's no reason to bait and decide whos a brat, whos right, whos wrong! This is just a conversation between CS and the customer that will end with both never taking again! Why reps take this so personal is beyond me! Do what you "CAN" and move on!

When I walk into a pizza shop, usually a nice Pizza man who wants your business will say "come again" right? Need your pizza reheated some more? SURE! Doesnt taste right? Lets see what I can do! Because he wants your business right? This IS just pizza we're talking about! What... $2, maybe $3 a slice? (a NY pizza anyway) Well, Verizon being a large company with 1000s of employees should be no different! And even though you (doc_havoc) are lost in the mix of employees, I guarantee if a supervisor saw the negative attitude by you, you would be fired! That is accountability for you in a large corporation! So preach about how customers are not entitled to special treatment (I won't even argue that) ... I will sit back and watch another rep replace you as you go to collect unemployment!

And I do realize that here you have freedom of speech "SOMEWHAT" on your side! But just the mere fact that you have to hide behind that shows how wrong you are for taking the position that you take!
    you are absolutely correct. I sit here and read these post responses to frustrated customers and think, "what an a***ole". electromechanical devices do fail, its not the OP's fault that this does happen. Most of these posters need to get off the verizon soap box and actually look at it from the customers prospective. Most of you DO work in customer service, right? This is one of the main reasons i HATE posting in this forum. I remember when this forum used to provide helpful advice.
    03-30-10 09:18 AM
    Has anyone ever tried contacting RIM to try to get a replacement? Does it work? Or do they always just give the "Well you must contact your carrier" excuse?
    03-30-10 09:46 AM
    Last time I looked, the code of conducts is always, "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT"
    Since when??
    03-30-10 10:13 AM
    you are absolutely correct. I sit here and read these post responses to frustrated customers and think, "what an a***ole". electromechanical devices do fail, its not the OP's fault that this does happen. Most of these posters need to get off the verizon soap box and actually look at it from the customers prospective. Most of you DO work in customer service, right? This is one of the main reasons i HATE posting in this forum. I remember when this forum used to provide helpful advice.
    I second that BIG TIME!!!!!
    03-30-10 10:53 AM
    Long story short the businesses are out to satisfy the consumer not the other way around. You are providing service to us that we pay a great deal for stand behind it and do what's right by the customer. All you so called "reps" out there put yourself in the customers shoes when they are on their 4th or 5th device within a few short months think of how they are feeling and why you may receive a little hostility at times especially if we feel as though nothing is being done to resolve the issue. You are called "customer service" for a reason you don't like it get out of that line of work!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-30-10 11:00 AM
    *sigh* i feel for you 10SE, but you will find very little sympathy on this forum. from what i have found posting about my problems with VZW here; if they are not helping you, it's somehow your fault. if that upsets you, you are now labeled a "problem" to verizon and 90% of members here and deserve nothing.

while i do not feel this way, most members here certainly do. i finally just gave up asking for any advice about customer service on crackberry. all you will get is "stop complaining", "it's your fault my insurance/ETF is so high", or "why do you feel entitled to anything". you may as well accept and get used to it.
    03-30-10 12:16 PM
    the sad thing is, the customer is not always right and at times, a CS rep cannot allow him or herself to be bulied by a customer who wants a bag of goodies "just" for being a customer. And I definately understand that fact. The problem is, the word "diplomatic" is not used or emphasised enough in CS. Its not always what you give to the customer, or what you dont give. Its how you explain your (the company's) rational for the their position on the matter. Almost anything can be resolved to both the customer and the company's liking if common sense and good will is applied; with the "emphasis" on pleasing the customer, especially the good paying customer with the long standing history. Its as simple as that... business success 101

FYI, business' has known this for a long long time. This is why when you hear comments from reps on forums like these, they very often dont make their way to the work place. And just that concept lets you know and them as well that what they say is against VZW CS policy or ethics. So much for their accusational "entitlement mentality" theory at work
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-30-10 at 12:22 PM.
    03-30-10 12:17 PM
    I would like to think when there is an ongoing issue, it will be resolved. Seems to be another phone offer would had been the right thing to do even if the fru is no longer available. Perhaps for a restocking fee, if that. I also think the customer doesn't have to be rude to the CS agent or to a store rep. Respecting the customer and respecting the rep.........I used to be a rep I have had phones thrown at me and I was never rude to the customer. I managed an indirect store and saw it all. People do try to take advantage but for the person who doesn't it is that customer who has hurt it for everyone.
    I would write RIM a letter about the Storm issue. I would also ask to speak to a CS supervisor. There are alternative solutions. But being rude isn't the way to go about it.
    I have to admit there are good reps and there are bad reps Some people shouldn't be in a retail environment position. Cars and cellular are tough markets to work in. I loved it but he closed his store due to retiring. I learned a lot and patience is a virtue I am proud to say I have. I also have tolerance. You have to have these to make it in retail. I have fired reps for being rude. I have asked customers to leave for being rude. I don't tolerate it . No one has to take abuse but for the most part, issues can be resolved. There will be those who can be a pain and you will never please them.
    03-30-10 01:24 PM
    10SE, you've been wronged, that's for sure and your frustration level is entirely understandable. Doc_Havoc (sounds like you probably got him as your CS on at least one call), I find your response abysmal and completely out of line. If you proffer yourself as a CS rep for VZW, I'm so glad I never had you or I'd have your *** fired in a heartbeat. As it is, I've had nothing but excellent (if not on occasion, frustrating) customer service from VZW. I'm a firm believer in 'you get as good as you give." and conduct my affairs with the CS in a very positive manner (thus, getting a consistant, positive response in return). It's a game we all play, to be sure but I know that the rep on the other end of the phone really had nothign to do with my problem, they're just the point person that lucked out with my call, so I don't take things out on them.

I guess the only thing more disturbing than the OPs letter is the response by the so-called "VZW CS Rep" (Doc_Havoc). I'm having a hard time even believing he really is a rep.
    03-30-10 01:50 PM

When I walk into a pizza shop, usually a nice Pizza man who wants your business will say "come again" right? Need your pizza reheated some more? SURE! Doesnt taste right? Lets see what I can do! Because he wants your business right? This IS just pizza we're talking about! What... $2, maybe $3 a slice? (a NY pizza anyway) Well, Verizon being a large company with 1000s of employees who take care of customers paying sometimes $100s a month for services plus commitments. This should be no different! And even though you (doc_havoc) are lost in the mix of employees, I guarantee if a supervisor saw the negative attitude by you, you would be fired! That is accountability for you in a large corporation! So preach about how customers are not entitled to special treatment (I won't even argue that) ... I will sit back and watch another rep replace you as you go to collect unemployment!

Please repeat after me..... Diplomancy!!! And anytime you are the one representing a business or establishment, the diplomatic responsibility lies with you more than it does the customer! And the motto "the customer is always right" is a managerial tactic that helps front line representatives remember that fact, regardless of what type of business it is.

And I do realize that here you have freedom of speech "SOMEWHAT" on your side! But just the mere fact that you have to hide behind that shows how wrong you are for taking the position that you take! I see a lot of hostile posts from reps on here. Yet, I dont see the attitude as much when I call CS... hmmm

And the sad thing is that it takes a basic customer (myself) to point this all out to company reps that should know this from an ethical standpoint! And lastly, bravo to gizmo guy... that is the proper approch to good CS
    If I walk into that pizza store and after being handed a fresh slice out of the oven, I return it saying: "It's cold". So the manager warms it up and hands it back to me. I then order a soda, which I then give back because I state it's to flat. I then again return the pizza stating the cheese is rancid. So after eating the pizza returning it, drinking the soda returning it, I demand a more expensive calzone with a bottle of upscale beverage for the same money for my trouble of "taste testing the food in the pizza place."

The manager will probably politely ask me to leave and not return. The pizza shop does not need customers like that, in fact, nobody needs a customer like that.
    03-30-10 02:00 PM
    Deep breaths people! Repeat after me serenity now, serenity now serenity NOW!

03-30-10 02:08 PM
    ===== QUOTE RicanMedic78 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

If I walk into that pizza store and after being handed a fresh slice out of the oven, I return it saying: "It's cold". So the manager warms it up and hands it back to me. I then order a soda, which I then give back because I state it's to flat. I then again return the pizza stating the cheese is rancid. So after eating the pizza returning it, drinking the soda returning it, I demand a more expensive calzone with a bottle of upscale beverage for the same money for my trouble of "taste testing the food in the pizza place."

The manager will probably politely ask me to leave and not return. The pizza shop does not need customers like that, in fact, nobody needs a customer like that.
    I believe you are completely wrong. A store owner would want customers to let them know their product tastes like crap and if I get a cold slice of pizza you can bet I'm walking right back in there and getting a fresh one or if its hot but something tastes completely foul and I've had pizza there numerous times before you can also bet I'm going to say something. Same concept if your at burger king or mcdonalds or anywhere you get cold fries you can't honestly say your not going back up to get fresh ones. Your arguing just for the sake of arguing now you make no valid point whatsoever.

All you people who are against us so called "whiny" customers need to see the bigger picture here. You make the product or sell the product we buy it. Customer service is key in any business and any smart person would know that. If your service is not up to par against other companies your not going to get the business plain and simple people want a good product with good support behind it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-30-10 02:41 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD