I'm sure this has been posted a few times...but my search criteria didnt show any results besides people WANTING to switch from the curve and BUYING the storm...so this is a hard one to search for.

I just purchased a refurb curve for a backup phone...but wanted to know how to go about switching to the curve from the storm on the fly? Do i have to call verizon everytime? Or can i just go online and put in the ESN, and my curve will then be activated? I remember at one point the online ESN activation/change never really worked, well...it didnt work for vcast vs. non vcast phones....can you switch BB devices on the fly on the VZW site?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a repost.
    04-29-09 04:22 PM
    I believe you can do the ESN change on your online account. I think the reason it doesn't work sometimes is if let's say you want to switch between a Treo to a BB, it won't let you unless you call because the switch would require you to change your type of data plan.

So if you're on a BB data plan with VZW, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to switch ESN's online. Why not just try it since you have the phones now?
    04-29-09 05:01 PM
    I believe you can do the ESN change on your online account. I think the reason it doesn't work sometimes is if let's say you want to switch between a Treo to a BB, it won't let you unless you call because the switch would require you to change your type of data plan.

So if you're on a BB data plan with VZW, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to switch ESN's online. Why not just try it since you have the phones now?
    That sucks...I would try it...just ordered the phone and it's shipping today...that's what led me to this question...but I guess you're right...I'll have to try it when I get it in the mail...Thanks....I agree that it prob can be done right online.
    04-29-09 05:23 PM
    When I had verizon I was able to do it and had no problems. As Forever has stated it works fine from BB to BB. I originally came from a treo and had to call in. After I got the BB data plan I was able to swap devices all the time. At that time for me I had 5 that I rotated.
    04-29-09 05:35 PM
    ok. I just realized a something..what about BB messenger? I guess i have to request contacts for all the existing contacts on the new phone...I can just tell them my pin and re-add them once and forget about it...but will they know which phone is offline and which is online? will it say "joe is unavailable" on the "off" phone, and "joe is available" on the curve when i switch?
    04-29-09 06:45 PM
    It will show one as available and the other as unavailable.
    04-29-09 06:49 PM
    I think I read that you can only switch devices 2-3 times per billing cycle, so I would check into that.
    04-29-09 08:18 PM
    I think I read that you can only switch devices 2-3 times per billing cycle, so I would check into that.
    I am so happy I use GSM.
    04-29-09 08:29 PM
    I'm so happy I have Verizon. lol.
    04-29-09 08:55 PM
    Yes, you can use the online ESN changer, but as mentioned, you can only change 3 times per billing cycle. So after the 3rd change you are stuck using that device till the next billing cycle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 08:58 PM
    What about dialing *228 option 3? I was under the impression that you could do esn swaps that way.
    04-29-09 09:24 PM
    What about dialing *228 option 3? I was under the impression that you could do esn swaps that way.

don't think so.....lets say you have a psycho ex gf...we've all been there.
    she uses her phone to dial *228 and then hits option 3. She has your last 4 of your social. Now all she has to do would be to dial *228, then the PHONE in your POCKET would no longer work, and she would get all of your incoming calls or texts on her phone....(just an example)... but I truly dont think you can do OTA switch because of security holes like that.

The only true way, i would think...is to sign online, into your account, and go to ESN changer.
    04-29-09 09:50 PM
    I am so happy I use GSM.

Forever, dont get me wrong...I would give the pinky on my left hand to have a sim card in verizon's network...I swear to you. (that pinky is useless)....but I would never be able to use AT&T. I know it's a great network for the true fans, but for practical application (like using a phone)...it wont work for me, and i'm only stating my own experience, not anyone elses based on where i live of course.
    04-29-09 09:52 PM
    don't think so.....lets say you have a psycho ex gf...we've all been there.
    she uses her phone to dial *228 and then hits option 3. She has your last 4 of your social. Now all she has to do would be to dial *228, then the PHONE in your POCKET would no longer work, and she would get all of your incoming calls or texts on her phone....(just an example)... but I truly dont think you can do OTA switch because of security holes like that.

The only true way, i would think...is to sign online, into your account, and go to ESN changer.
    Yea I wondered about that to... But then what is option 3 used for?
    04-29-09 09:58 PM
    Just an fyi for everyone, I successfully switched from a Storm to a Curve by dialling 228 on the new phone and selecting option 3. I then just logged into my bis account and changed the pin and everything works fine. Took about 3 min tops with no phone calls to VZ or online esn changers.
    04-30-09 07:33 PM
    weird...that seems so insecure to me...did you have the storm off and dialed *228 from the curve? Did you have to confirm any personal numbers ? phone numbers, date of birth, social? anything?
    04-30-09 07:56 PM
    The Storm was on and dialed from the curve. It asked for the phone number in question then for last 4 of social. Then I jammed to some VZ music for about 10 sec, a voice come on and said my phone was ready to use. Very simple.
    04-30-09 08:05 PM
    The Storm was on and dialed from the curve. It asked for the phone number in question then for last 4 of social. Then I jammed to some VZ music for about 10 sec, a voice come on and said my phone was ready to use. Very simple.
    wow, that pleases me and worries me at teh same time. that means that ANYONE that wants to start receving my calls and texts can do that, as long as they have the last 4 of my social.
    but its a good thing for when i want to switch phones on the fly and dont want to log onto my verizon.
    05-01-09 07:03 AM
    All the talk of only being able to switch 3 times a month is not true. I've been playing around between my curve 8330 and Storm 9530 for a couple months. I'd say in one billing cycle, I did about 25 or so esn swaps between the two phones. This was all done online through my verizon account using the "activate my phone" link once I was signed in. There are no extra charges applied to one's account, and no limit put on the number of times you can switch back and forth... at least between 2 phones. If you did it between a slew of different phones, though, I can't say whether or not it would be any different.
    05-04-09 08:14 PM
    Really? Good to know. Maybe others can chime in with similar experiences.
    05-04-09 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD