I just thought it might be nice to have all of this info in one place..

Let's go through it step by step, even if it seems simple to some.

From what I understand, the only thing that needs to be sent back is the phone itself? No battery, no media card, no SIM card (old or new), no accessories, no battery door and no retail box? Only the phone in the brown Fed-Ex box?

We don't need a copy of the receipt or any other information to send back to them? I believe Verizon will be able to tell from the brown Fed-Ex box and the Tour itself, obviously, that the phone came from you specifically.

We should obviously wipe the phone before we send it back, I'm assuming. Anyone feel like telling us step-by-step how to do that in case some are unaware?

And then, we place the phone inside the brown Fed-Ex box, place the shipping label that they sent with our phone, over-top the the one on the brown Fed-Ex box with our address on it, tape it up and then find a Fed-Ex drop box to place it in?

Am I correct with all of this? Anything I am forgetting to mention?

Thanks to anyone who is willing to assist with this.
    06-22-10 02:46 PM
    Its not that hard, everything can be found with a search on Google or on the forums...

To wipe phone:
    OPTIONS > SECURITY OPTIONS > SECURITY WIPE > CHECK OFF "EMAILS, CONTACTS, ETC." and USER INSTALLED APPLICATIONS" > Type "blackberry" > DONE

To package phone:
    Put the phone ONLY in the box (if you want to put bubble wrap, newspapers, etc. its up to you. All VZ wants is the phone back) > Tape up the box > Slap on the return address label that was included > Drop off to FedEx or a drop box > DONE

If you've done replacements before, its the SAME process as all the other times. If you've never done a replacement before, its the SAME for future processes.
    06-22-10 02:51 PM
    Its not that hard, everything can be found with a search on Google or on the forums...

To wipe phone:
    OPTIONS > SECURITY OPTIONS > SECURITY WIPE > CHECK OFF "EMAILS, CONTACTS, ETC." and USER INSTALLED APPLICATIONS" > Type "blackberry" > DONE

To package phone:
    Put the phone ONLY in the box (if you want to put bubble wrap, newspapers, etc. its up to you. All VZ wants is the phone back) > Tape up the box > Slap on the return address label that was included > Drop off to FedEx or a drop box > DONE

If you've done replacements before, its the SAME process as all the other times. If you've never done a replacement before, its the SAME for future processes.

Yeppers. good info

Or the little slip they have in the box about returns
    06-22-10 02:54 PM
    Let's make it clear that the "wipe" you are refferring to above will only erase personal data such as the applications you installed, memo notes, phone logs, e-mail, contacts, and stuff like that. It will not set a leaked OS back to the official OS. Just make sure that the official verizon OS is on there and then do a "security wipe" as described above.
    06-22-10 04:13 PM
    Let's make it clear that the "wipe" you are refferring to above will only erase personal data such as the applications you installed, memo notes, phone logs, e-mail, contacts, and stuff like that. It will not set a leaked OS back to the official OS. Just make sure that the official verizon OS is on there and then do a "security wipe" as described above.
    Why would you think that this would be important?
    06-22-10 05:56 PM
    What about a wipe using bbsak? Does that remove os as well as personal data? Just curious, I always thought it did. Thanks.
    06-22-10 06:39 PM
    VZ does not care. They are going to reload the software anyways. I've sent back Tour's with leaked OS. They're not going to go through the phone with a fine comb. They're going to look at physical damage such as cracked screen and water damage. If there is neither of those, they'll refurbish it
    What about a wipe using bbsak? Does that remove os as well as personal data? Just curious, I always thought it did. Thanks.
    BBSAK wipes it completely but you have to reload the OS or leave it as is with the 503 app error or whatever it was.
    06-22-10 06:46 PM
    Thanks for the info Y2
    06-22-10 07:12 PM
    What about a thread - how to get a Storm2 after the failed Storm1...why isn't VZW offering this too? My screen is unresponsive in the humidity again...is that no different than a failed trackball?
    06-22-10 07:13 PM
    The easiest way to change your device is the device wizard on the blackberry media manager. It will take you step by step and then offer to wipe your old phone for you. This is probably the easiest way for those not used to switching devices.
    This is officially what my paperwork said:
    It gave steps to activate your phone and this is made easy by the device change wizard.
    Return Your Original Device
    1. Clear all personal information
    2. Place only the device into the device box and keep your battery and all accessories.
    3. Place device box into the shipping box.
    4. attach FedEx label to shipping box and drop off at the nearest FedEx location.
    (if received by UPS it will contain directions on how to arrange pickup or drop off)
    For more detailed instructions, please visit verizonwireless.com/replacementphone

I did not send back my device box since I need it for my international adaptors etc but I wrapped my phone up so it would be secure.
    Hope this clears things up for everyone.
    06-22-10 08:09 PM
    Just a quick question. I'm expecting to receive my new Bold 9560 tomorrow I've been tracking my package and the weight says 3 LBS from Ontario California so I'm pretty sure this is a new in box tour with all the accessories. (Lets hope!)

If I do get all the accessories like a new battery, charger, holster and all that stuff with the Bold 9650 do I keep the stuff that came with my tour like the battery, charger, holster, memory card and headphones and all that stuff? I wouldn't mind keeping it and having a spare battery and all spare accessories, but I also don't want to get charged either. What should I do? Thanks in advance! Can't wait for my Bold 9650 tomorrow!!
    06-22-10 08:48 PM
    Sorry if this is repetitious, I'm sure it's been covered but I can't find it yet. Seems appropriate to add to this thread.

VZW told me to keep my Tour media card, battery, accessories & SIM and put it in replacement phone. But both replacements I received in past week have SIM cards in them. So just want to verify procedure. I'm keeping replacement #2 and sending replacement #1 + my defective Tour back. SIM card in replacement #2 has someone else's info on it (prompt asked me if I wanted to import that data into my Contacts).

So to confirm, I just swap my SIM out of my bad Tour and put it in replacement I'm keeping? And then put SIM that came in replacement #2 that I'm keeping into my bad Tour and return to VZW?
    07-03-10 10:17 AM
    What about a thread - how to get a Storm2 after the failed Storm1...why isn't VZW offering this too? My screen is unresponsive in the humidity again...is that no different than a failed trackball?
    They didn't replace Tours for Bolds because of trackball issues. They replaced them because of inventory. People only claimed to have trackball issues to get the phone.
    07-03-10 10:22 AM
    Sorry if this is repetitious, I'm sure it's been covered but I can't find it yet. Seems appropriate to add to this thread.

VZW told me to keep my Tour media card, battery, accessories & SIM and put it in replacement phone. But both replacements I received in past week have SIM cards in them. So just want to verify procedure. I'm keeping replacement #2 and sending replacement #1 + my defective Tour back. SIM card in replacement #2 has someone else's info on it (prompt asked me if I wanted to import that data into my Contacts).

So to confirm, I just swap my SIM out of my bad Tour and put it in replacement I'm keeping? And then put SIM that came in replacement #2 that I'm keeping into my bad Tour and return to VZW?
    You can swap the SIM out but it is not necessary.
    07-03-10 10:25 AM
    I kept the sim card - especially since I had placed a few contact numbers on it. Not that I have any need for it but I just kept everything from my old Tour which is what the instruction card said to do.

Which does remind me I want to call Global and get the Bold UNlocked just in case.

Edited to add: Just called Global and got my sim slot unlocked - easy (so thanks for triggering this memory).
    Last edited by F2; 07-03-10 at 11:43 AM.
    07-03-10 11:23 AM
    Thanks, and you're welcome for the memory trigger.
    07-03-10 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD