My brother was added to the account (manager or something) when he was 17, (3 yrs ago). I am now 17 and my dad called VZW to add my name... they said you have to be 18 to have ur name put on the account.

IS this true or is this VZW rep ********?
    07-04-09 01:11 AM
    I think in this case, the rep is ******** unless they just changed this...
    07-04-09 01:12 AM
    I think in this case, the rep is ******** unless they just changed this...
    why thank you sir. long time no talk
    07-04-09 01:23 AM
    why thank you sir. long time no talk
    I know too long...When did we last speak? Just now on BBM and in that other thread? (let's not keep this up here, posts count in this section.)

Anyways, call back and get another rep. What were you trying to do though? Just be able to add yourself to be one of the primary users?
    07-04-09 01:26 AM
    You cannot be responsible for a contract until you are of majority age. This would rule out 17 year-olds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 01:30 AM
    I wanted to ask about a problem with my moms phone cause she hates calling and waiting to finally get a vzw rep.

talk to pin
    07-04-09 01:31 AM
    You cannot be responsible for a contract until you are of majority age. This would rule out 17 year-olds.

I don't think cheech wants his own contract... Just wants to have full access to the account. They wouldn't let him? I don't think he means primary account holder...
    07-04-09 01:31 AM
    I done it online my bro is 16 and calls about his

07-04-09 01:33 AM
    An account manager or designee is different than having a name on the account as a responsible party. The former is authorized, by the person responsible for the account, to get information and/or make changes to services. The latter is legally responsible for the contract and the billing.

A minor can be authorized to view or make changes - that is something I could allow my grandkids to do. A minor cannot be legally responsible for the account.

It appears some of you are trying to use the existence of one as proof of the other - and that is an inaccurate portrayal of reality.

07-04-09 02:28 AM
    TwinsX2Dad, cheech wanted to be an account manager or designee.
    07-04-09 02:29 AM
    I don't think cheech wants his own contract... Just wants to have full access to the account. They wouldn't let him? I don't think he means primary account holder...
    This can be authorized online, if need be - simply designate Account Managers in MyVerizon. I believe you can even set levels of authorization. A husband can designate a spouse, a dad can authorize a child, one roommate can authorize another. I am an account manager for my mom's accounts - phone, mobile, electric, CATV, etc. But an account manager or authorized party, is not responsible for the bill or contract.

If you call VZW, all you need to tell them is you'd like to authorize someone else to be given account info and/or make changes. You can even tell them to only allow the info to be given on a particular line or authorization to make changes, but not to disconnect or whatever.

But if you tell them you want someone else to be a responsible party, they will want an SSN, a date of birth, etc - they will then run a credit check & see if all matches. If you give fraudulent information to add responsibility and get caught, there are some pretty strong legal ramifications.

07-04-09 02:38 AM
    You can add account managers via your online account. VZW can add them as well, but much faster online.

Accout manager can do everything with an account except for three things.

1. add or change account passwords.

2. Add - change - remove account managers.

3. Assumption of liability (AOL).

I reviewed internal policy on this several times I did not see anything about age requirements. If you want your 8 year old make cost bearing changes to your account, go for it.
    07-04-09 08:43 AM
    You can add account managers via your online account. VZW can add them as well, but much faster online.

Accout manager can do everything with an account except for three things.

1. add or change account passwords.

2. Add - change - remove account managers.

3. Assumption of liability (AOL).

I reviewed internal policy on this several times I did not see anything about age requirements. If you want your 8 year old make cost bearing changes to your account, go for it.
    I thought so too... however, I just found the policy for Authorized Users/Account Managers.

It so states:
    A password must be established when adding an Account Manager.
    Must be 18 years of age or older.
    In Alabama and Nebraska, person must be 19 years of age or older.
    A maximum of three Account Managers can be added per account in the AM fields; additional AMs can be added to the comments section.
    Account Managers can perform ALL of the same functions as Account Holder except:
    Add/change/delete account password
    Add/change/delete AM
    Perform AOL (Assumption of Liability) or authorize an AOL to another individual.
    AMs can also be added and modified through My Verizon.
    When an AOL is processed, existing AM will not auto-migrate.
    Adding new ACs (Authorized Contacts) to Consumer/ELEU (Employee Liable End User) accounts is no longer available.

Honestly... Ive never asked for an age... but technically... I know Ive talked to people who are account managers on the acct already and are NOT 18 or older.
    Sides, online, whos GOING to ask how old the Account Manager is.

Lastraid: This is directly from policy... last updated on 06/18/09
    Last edited by heather.law; 07-04-09 at 09:10 AM.
    07-04-09 08:59 AM
    I'm just going to restate, that, the above is policy however, bc you can add Account Managers online, and not ALL reps are going to be tight about policy it IS possible that under aged individuals have been or will be added as Account Managers. I am NOT trying to contradict Lastraid.
    There are constant changes to policy as well and with little or no notice to us.
    I just want to make that clear.
    07-04-09 09:13 AM
    Thanks Heather,

Great update. I have not reviewed it for a bit.

WOW - the part additional AM's can be added to remarks. This interestng chenge to policy, this is why how we do it now was added and no one in remarks was to be honored anymore.
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-04-09 at 09:21 AM.
    07-04-09 09:17 AM
    I'm not suggesting anything here, but often on the phone folks have told me you sound just like your dad.
    07-04-09 10:54 AM
    Full Access Contacts must be 18 years of age or older due to they can sign contracts for upgrades or new lines on behalf of the account holder. In theory, you can be added to the account before that, but because it is granting an underage person permission to sign a legal binding contract before they are of legal age to do so, it is against the law. The point is, the system itself doesn't check for it, but reps can and have gotten in trouble for doing so.

Now, being an Authorized Contact is different. These are people on the account who can ask about the account but cannot actually make changes. This may be something you can do before you are 18, since you can't actually sign a contract from this.
    Last edited by Lady.Khrystal; 07-04-09 at 11:04 AM.
    07-04-09 10:57 AM
    Must be 18 years of age or older.
    In Alabama and Nebraska, person must be 19 years of age or older.
    Honestly... Ive never asked for an age... but technically... I know Ive talked to people who are account managers on the acct already and are NOT 18 or older.
    Sides, online, whos GOING to ask how old the Account Manager is.
    I can see the basis to this - no one asks for proof of an account manager's age. The online authorization doesn't require it, either. But policy states 18 (or 19 in Alabama/Nebraska). Policy vs action sounds a little counter to each other, doesn't it?

Now for the reality.

Carriers know the laws, but also want to make things convenient for tha account holders. If Mama Mary wants Son Sam to have account access, Mama Mary can grant it. BUT if Son Sam does something with his account access that Mama Mary doesn't approve of, she can't say the carrier needs to credit her because Son Sam isn't 18 yet because the carrier can point to the law & stated policy.

We're sorry, Mama Mary, but YOU added Son Sam and our policy & terms states he has to be 18. Pay up.

The initial rep was not "********" as someone above incorrectly asserted. They were following policy. Had dad simply said, "I want to authorize access for another individual on my account," he would have probably gotten what he asked for. Since dad probably said, "I want to add my 17 year-old son as an account manager," he was told no.

I mean, after all - Mama Mary would only need to give Son Sam, Sister Sue, or a street-corner beggar her MyVerizon or bank account password and they could make changes or whatever - but again, doing so is fully at her risk & peril and she would be precluded from passing responsibility because of it.

07-04-09 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD