06-25-09 03:43 PM
44 12
tools
    I just can't take it any more with the Storm and I would like to get an iPhone instead. I'm trying to figure out how much money I will have to pay (aside from the money to get the iPhone on ATT).

I renewed my NE2 on my family plan in December 08. I paid $150 for the Storm. How much is it going to cost to prematurely cancel my contract? How much money do you think I can get for the Storm on-line or in a private market? (The model is in good shape with original screen protector still on).

Will this switch cost me more than $200 including the money I get from selling the Storm?

Also, if I switch out the Storm for another VZ BB such as the Bold, how much will I have to pay out of pocket?

Please advise!

PS. I am a "VIP" or something with Verizon ... my family has been with the company since the late 1980s (before they were VZ of course) and we seem to get a lot of deals on our plans and with customer service. Do you think this makes any difference?
    Last edited by mdude85; 04-21-09 at 08:24 PM.
    04-21-09 08:20 PM
    Why don't you pick up that Storm & dial 611? They can tell you exactly how much without all of the speculation.

You'll get a faster & much more accurate answer.

VIP means nothing if you're leaving. Of course, AT&T & iPhone doesn't indicate much sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 04-21-09 at 08:27 PM.
    04-21-09 08:25 PM
    Let see - I would venture to say this will cost you over $200. Oh yes I hate the device that I picked so lets leave hte carrier. Did you just go out but it? did you try it first - are you making the same mistake with I-Phone? Who knows.

Do what you have to do. you can call VZW and ask how much the ETF will be. You can even sell your storm to off set it a bit.

Just make sure before you jump that ATT coverage is good in your area and other areas you may travel to.

Good luck
    04-21-09 08:25 PM
    Oops ! I should clarify that I'm not really leaving the carrier. Since I'm on a family plan as I said, only my number would be canceled, which is NOT the primary number. The rest of the numbers on the family plan would stay.

Thanks for the tip on *611. I will try it.

Also, I've had the Storm since December as I said.
    04-21-09 08:28 PM
    well if u cancel with verizon your definitely gonna pay a penalty which is probably gonna be like 150 dollars then add your monthly payment to that. if u switch for another verizon phone such as the curve because verizon doesnt have the bold it depends when u bought your storm but your probably gonna pay full retail for the phone since the storm hasnt been out for a year which means u cant get the discount and if u paid full retail for the blackberry curve its about 450 bucks. now if u go to at@t the iphone 8gig is 200 dollars, the 16 gig is 300 dollars and then u have to get the protection plan which is 75 bucks. in my opinion in trying out both verizon and at@t i would definitely stick with verizon. they have the absolute best service. when i had at@t for a while i always got dropped calls.. i never ever ever get a dropped call with verizon. the best thing u could do is call up verizon direct and tell them that your unhappy with the storm and im sure they'll work with u in getting u a new phone. ive done it plenty of times and i either payed half for a new phone or they gave me some sort of discount
    04-21-09 08:29 PM
    Thanks. The monthly payment on my line is only $10 since it is the "add a line" deal... will that be the payment or will I have to pay 1 month's worth of full family plan bill?

Also, thanks for the tips on VZ vs ATT. I'm mostly trying to focus right now on the costs associated with leaving Verizon.

PS - sorry I meant Curve, not Bold !
    Last edited by mdude85; 04-21-09 at 08:36 PM.
    04-21-09 08:34 PM
    Its going to cost you more than 200 for sure! I would say call vzw and tell them you are not happy with your phone and see what they can do.

04-21-09 08:41 PM
    Early termination fees are $175.00 and then go down $5.00/month (with a maximum of 65.00 off) every month you're on it.

However, if you leave for AT&T and get an iphony, you'll end up paying a load more, because you'll end up with bad coverage.
    04-21-09 09:03 PM
    and end up coming back
    04-21-09 11:22 PM
    Why don't you pick up that Storm & dial 611? They can tell you exactly how much without all of the speculation.

You'll get a faster & much more accurate answer.
    These threads are great though. Instead of spending 3 minutes on the phone with Verizon and getting the right answer, days will pass here with all sorts of wrong information being posted and eventually they have to call in anyway.
    04-22-09 02:52 AM
    Many times people post their questions thinking they're going to get a valuable answer which they then turn around and take back to the carrier as ammo to get what they want.

As soon as CS doesnt say what was said here, they jump out their mouth with..."Well, I was told...."

Not saying its what the OP planned to do; but it happens more times than not.
    04-22-09 03:00 AM
    Early termination fees are $175.00 and then go down $5.00/month (with a maximum of 65.00 off) every month you're on it.

However, if you leave for AT&T and get an iphony, you'll end up paying a load more, because you'll end up with bad coverage.
    So the approximate cost to drop my line from the plan will be $150. Thank you !
    04-22-09 07:26 AM
    These threads are great though. Instead of spending 3 minutes on the phone with Verizon and getting the right answer, days will pass here with all sorts of wrong information being posted and eventually they have to call in anyway.
    Thanks! I've spent many minutes, even hours on the phone with Verizon where each customer representative I have spoken with has given me a different answer from the previous. That isn't my definition of "right".
    04-22-09 07:27 AM
    And each time you asked , "how much is my current ETF?" and nothing else? I really don't see how you could get anything other than a consistent answer.

04-22-09 09:31 AM
    You can also try to get out of your contract without an ETF. I got out of mine with sprint, it took some time but I did it. I wouldnt switch to ATT for the iphone. Just my 2 cents. My aunt was here in March, has both an iphone and a BB storm (one for business, one because for music) and she was on the iphone sitting right next to me, he call dropped 3 times, she got fed up and said "ill call you back from my blackberry". I live in Toledo, Ohio so its not a small city or a place where reception was sketchy.
    04-22-09 11:20 AM
    your phone is only as good as the network its on. I'd try out the iphone in your area first, before canceling your VZW service. Personally I find VZW's network to be superior, but that's for you to decide.

I doubt you'll get more than $300 for your storm though. That seems to be the going rate for them on craigslist at least.

$300-$200 ETF = $100 gain. but hey then you have to pay $200-300 for an iphone, so you'll still be out $100-200.
    04-22-09 12:55 PM
    And each time you asked , "how much is my current ETF?" and nothing else? I really don't see how you could get anything other than a consistent answer.

I don't see either, yet I cannot explain the occurance.

I would be quite surprised to get $300 for the Storm, I guess people want it for unlocking? If I could make a $150 profit that would be quite nice. That would certainly help cut down on the ETF and I would be "back to square one".
    04-22-09 03:19 PM
    your phone is only as good as the network its on. I'd try out the iphone in your area first, before canceling your VZW service. Personally I find VZW's network to be superior, but that's for you to decide.

I doubt you'll get more than $300 for your storm though. That seems to be the going rate for them on craigslist at least.

$300-$200 ETF = $100 gain. but hey then you have to pay $200-300 for an iphone, so you'll still be out $100-200.
    Thanks for the tips on the iPhone! They are duly noted. I live in a very large city where ATT coverage is not a problem aside from the underground trains.
    04-22-09 03:20 PM
    I don't understand the hate for AT&T. I've been with them for years and love them. I live out in the boonies and get amazing service and I have my husband's LG CU 500 and my 8310 Curve with a data plan and only pay $75.00 a month. But, man, you're gonna pay out your ears in ETF and why in the world would you want an iphone.

04-22-09 03:53 PM
    I don't understand the hate for AT&T. I've been with them for years and love them. I live out in the boonies and get amazing service and I have my husband's LG CU 500 and my 8310 Curve with a data plan and only pay $75.00 a month. But, man, you're gonna pay out your ears in ETF and why in the world would you want an iphone.

I don't "hate" AT&T, I just dislike the service. For me, the quality of service wasnt good. It made no sense to me that I couldnt use my phone when I needed or wanted too.

The data was so slow that I could actually look in the yellow pages and find what I needed before I could get it on the phone.
    04-22-09 04:09 PM
    I am confused you are on the family plan spending 10 for an added line plus 29 for data, so you pay 39 a month, you are going to pay around 175 to leave, why don't you take that 175 and put it tords the curve, because an iphone will cost you as well, wow it doesn't add up to me

04-22-09 08:35 PM
    I've heard a lot about att having dropped calls with the iphone, and their phone service in general. I would stick with the carrier that you have, or you may end up being more upset with their service instead.

04-24-09 11:48 AM
    Thanks for the tips! Still looking for a way to dump the Storm ... Curve might be a good option.
    05-01-09 09:11 AM
    Thanks for the tips! Still looking for a way to dump the Storm ... Curve might be a good option.
    Have you done any updates that would improve the Storm for you?
    05-01-09 10:22 AM
    In the end, do whatever you want to! If you want an iphone, get an iphone!

I had one of the original iphones, and at the time I thought it was great. I have no idea about the 3g iphones. ****, Im not even in a 3g coverage area for at&t last I checked.

Just before you switch, check the coverage maps for verizon and at&t. If that doesnt persuade you to stay with verizon, then your mind is already made up.
    05-01-09 10:24 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD