Anyone know if Verizon offers an unlimited data package for when you tether your BB to your laptop and use it to connect to the net?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 02:21 PM
    The feature is called BroadbandAccess Connect -- it is $15 on top of unlimited BlackBerry data plan, but there is supposedly a cap of 5 GB per month on new instantiations of the feature.

07-09-08 02:28 PM
    The cost of teathering depends on your data plan,

If you have the $29.99 data plan, teathering will be an additional $29.99

If you have the $45 data plan, teathering will be an additional $15

In order to use Broadband access, your data must total $60. That is why the cost of teathering is dependent on your current data plan

The data cap is 5 GB, which is vertually unlimited unless you get into streaming live music.
    Last edited by Rich_Eller; 07-09-08 at 02:34 PM. Reason: additional info
    07-09-08 02:32 PM
    Someone also wrote that your web speed would be less than that of a Verizon aircard.
    07-09-08 02:39 PM
    It is slightly slower than an aircard, however it's still a decent speed for being on the go.

From my experience the only time you really notice the lack of speed with teathering is while you're downloading files. As for typical web surfing, you'll be fine
    07-09-08 07:13 PM
    I'm into downloading music..... I download an average of 100 songs a week or more.....

07-10-08 12:03 AM

In order to use Broadband access, your data must total $60. That is why the cost of teathering is dependent on your current data plan

The data cap is 5 GB, which is vertually unlimited unless you get into streaming live music.
    This is partially correct. If you have unlimited data + a calling plan then it is 15 bucks. If you only have data then its 30 bucks. Seel link below for chart.

Connect
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-10-08 at 01:16 PM.
    07-10-08 01:12 PM

What is the data cap on the $29.99 a month plan?
    07-10-08 01:34 PM
    What do you mean by unlimited data? If you're speaking of BES, then yes, it is only $15/mo to teather. The $29.99 BIS data is still unlimited and if you wish to teather it's going to cost you an additional $30/mo. When it comes to data, if you wish to use Broad Band Access (teathering) Your total data expense is going to be $60. No two ways about it.

and if you're downlaoding 100/week you should just look into some home service options, because you're going to get charged ridiculous overages.
    07-10-08 03:15 PM
    What is the data cap on the $29.99 a month plan?
    No data cap on unlimited plan for device. The 5gb cap is for tethering.
    07-10-08 05:08 PM
    What do you mean by unlimited data? If you're speaking of BES, then yes, it is only $15/mo to teather. The $29.99 BIS data is still unlimited and if you wish to teather it's going to cost you an additional $30/mo. When it comes to data, if you wish to use Broad Band Access (teathering) Your total data expense is going to be $60. No two ways about it.

and if you're downlaoding 100/week you should just look into some home service options, because you're going to get charged ridiculous overages.
    What you are saying is not completely correct. Tether will cost only 15 bucks if you have unlimited data + a voice plan. It doesn't matter if its BES or BIS. If you have a voice plan combined with unlimited data then tethering is only 15 bucks. I have tethering on my phone and have had it for the past 4 months and I have 29.99 data and my tethering only costs 15 bucks. Make sure you talk to the correct reps at Verizon because some of them will tell you it costs 30 bucks if you have the 29.99 plan, but I found that chart on their website that says otherwise. And I showed it to them and they concluded I was correct (after putting me on hold like 3 times to make sure).

For everyone that is paying 30 bucks for tethering and you have voice plan too, you are paying to much! Call them a get your plan fixed.
    07-10-08 05:14 PM
    HMMMM lets think about this. THERE IS NO LIMIT ON BLACKBERRY DATA.

You only get a cap when you teather.

If you have BIS ($29.99), teathering will cost you 29.99. If you have BES (45.99), teathering will cost you $15.

In order to teather your data must total $60/ month so even if you have a voice plan with BIS you're going to pay $30 for teathering. If you have BES, you're only going to pay $15/ month to teather

I work for verizon, this is my job and I explain this feature everyday. If you care to call customer service to verify ;-)
    07-10-08 05:26 PM
    You guys are no help..... I like how the orginal ? Gets ignored and this turns into a pissing match about who is right and who isn't.....

07-10-08 11:41 PM
    You guys are no help..... I like how the orginal ? Gets ignored and this turns into a pissing match about who is right and who isn't.....
    Actually your question was already answered, but perhaps not clearly.

You asked two questions, one in your thread subject and another in the body.

1) How much to tether your BB?
    $30 BIS (Email and Web for BlackBerry) + $30 tether = $60
    $45 BES (Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage) + $15 tether = $60

No matter how you cut it, Verizon will get their $60 from you to tether to a laptop/desktop. This $60 is the going rate for dedicated data cards as well.

While some have gotten Verizon customer service to add the $15 tether option to their $30 BIS data add on, that loophole has been closed a few months back and the system the customer reps use won't allow it.

2) Anyone know if Verizon offers an unlimited data package for when you tether your BB to your laptop and use it to connect to the net?

No, when tethering, you have a monthly allowance of Monthly Allowance 5 GB (5,120 MB). Once you go over that 5 GB, you will be charge $0.25 per MB.

If you don't watch your data usage, you could be paying a lot of $$$ in overages.

If you're planning on downloading 100 songs a month, I would recommend getting a Cable or DSL connection.

Real world EVDO averages around 500-800 kbs down and probably 80 kbs up. If you're using a P2P client, downloading 100 songs will be painfully slow due to your bandwidth. EVDO Rev. A (as found in data cards) is a bit faster, but still will not be what you're looking for. Currently there is no Verizon BB that is EVDO Rev. A capable.

Finally try searching next time as this question has been asked ad nauseum.
    Last edited by KINetics; 07-11-08 at 02:40 AM.
    07-11-08 02:22 AM
    100 songs a week = ~500 MB (per month, ~2GB total)
    W/ Tethering they say 500-800kbs (above, also online) - so yr looking at ~60-100K/sec...not bad (dialup is 5K)...so those 5MB songs will take between 1-2 min each.
    unless my maths are mistaken.

I have a verizon USB modem, and was lucky enough to sign up before they implemented the overage charges. I dont usually go over 5GB, and when i do, it's not by much, but it doesn't cost.
    Speeds with the USB modem have been downright fast at times...via speakeasy.net/speedtest
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2448 kbps (306 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 417 kbps (52.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

the only bummer with the high d/l speed is its easy to max your bandwidth out, but i dont do P2P or any other big downloads on the cellular modem, so its not usually a problem.
    07-11-08 02:46 AM
    Actually your question was already answered, but perhaps not clearly.

You asked two questions, one in your thread subject and another in the body.

1) How much to tether your BB?
    $30 BIS (Email and Web for BlackBerry) + $30 tether = $60
    $45 BES (Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage) + $15 tether = $60

No matter how you cut it, Verizon will get their $60 from you to tether to a laptop/desktop. This $60 is the going rate for dedicated data cards as well.

While some have gotten Verizon customer service to add the $15 tether option to their $30 BIS data add on, that loophole has been closed a few months back and the system the customer reps use won't allow it.

2) Anyone know if Verizon offers an unlimited data package for when you tether your BB to your laptop and use it to connect to the net?

No, when tethering, you have a monthly allowance of Monthly Allowance 5 GB (5,120 MB). Once you go over that 5 GB, you will be charge $0.25 per MB.

If you don't watch your data usage, you could be paying a lot of $$$ in overages.

If you're planning on downloading 100 songs a month, I would recommend getting a Cable or DSL connection.

Real world EVDO averages around 500-800 kbs down and probably 80 kbs up. If you're using a P2P client, downloading 100 songs will be painfully slow due to your bandwidth. EVDO Rev. A (as found in data cards) is a bit faster, but still will not be what you're looking for. Currently there is no Verizon BB that is EVDO Rev. A capable.

Finally try searching next time as this question has been asked ad nauseum.
    Thanks for answering my question clearly. And as for the search, it sucks balls and half the time you don't find what you're looking for.

07-11-08 03:50 AM
    While we're on the subject though.... How do they keep your usage separated? Like do they add up what the data you use solely on your BB and the data you use on your laptop and get your complete sum for the end of the billing cycle? Or is there a way for them to keep the data separated from each other? I hope this makes sense, what I'm trying to ask.....

07-11-08 03:55 AM
    Is there any ways to crack/hack/modify the phone so you do not have to pay for teathering. I was able to modify the registy on my old WM phones and was wondering if you can on a BB although I havent found anything
    07-11-08 11:06 AM
    All of you guys are wrong, even they guy who "works" for Verizon. I spoke to 4 different verizon reps and they all had to do there research and 3 came up with 30 bucks for tethering while the last one told me I was paying to much and it should be 15 bucks since I have a "qualifying" voice plan. VZW reps do not always know what they are talking about. Anyway, the rep gave me a credit for over paying for tethering and changed the rate. Just do your due dilligence and refer them to the chart I posted because you only have to pay 15 bucks. That's what I pay with 29.99 data after speaking with 4 reps who all claimed they were correct.
    07-11-08 12:01 PM
    HMMMM lets think about this. THERE IS NO LIMIT ON BLACKBERRY DATA.

You only get a cap when you teather.

If you have BIS ($29.99), teathering will cost you 29.99. If you have BES (45.99), teathering will cost you $15.

In order to teather your data must total $60/ month so even if you have a voice plan with BIS you're going to pay $30 for teathering. If you have BES, you're only going to pay $15/ month to teather

I work for verizon, this is my job and I explain this feature everyday. If you care to call customer service to verify ;-)
    Doesn't matter if its your job. Reps aren't always right. I found myself telling a rep more about a product or feature on several occasions. Please explain in your own words what the chart means? You just need to do some more homework and research on the products you sell because as I stated before, I spoke to 4 different reps and 3 of them were wrong and the 4th wasn't sure until she had to put me on hold 3 times to verify. Last month when I bought my curve, a rep actually told me I had to get the 44.99 data plan because thats the unlimited data for blackberry and it didn't matter for BIS or BES. Now, mind you I had a 8830 before and was switching back to a blackberry from xv6800 (so I already knew the deal).I told him he was wrong and he verified (after 5 mins on hold) I was right. Just letting you know that you reps do not always know what you are talking about. Now, maybe they changed the plan on you guys without telling you the full details and as long as they can get people to tether for 30 bucks, there's no need to tell about the 15 bucks... but if people to research and ask the right questions they will pay the RIGHT price.

SO FOR EVERYONE OUT THERE TETHERING IS 15 BUCKS IF YOU HAVE UNLIMITED DATA AND A CALLING PLAN. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE REPS BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE NOT AWARE. VIEW THE CHART ON THE LINK PROVIDED AND SPEAK WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE TO GET THE CORRECT PRICE.

Connect
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-11-08 at 12:16 PM.
    07-11-08 12:04 PM
    Just confirmed with our VZW account rep.

if you are on BIS it's $30.

The only reason 1 out of 4 reps was "right" in what they told you is because they told you what you want to hear

K thanks
    Bye
    07-11-08 12:13 PM
    Just confirmed with our VZW account rep.

if you are on BIS it's $30.

The only reason 1 out of 4 reps was "right" in what they told you is because they told you what you want to hear

K thanks
    Bye
    They told me what i wanted to hear? No! I proved them wrong and they had to concede. This is why people come on this site and ask questions rather than calling reps, because customer service for all companies is a joke when it comes to Blackberry specific questions. You still didn't explain the chart. Since you are so knowledgeable of the products and services, explain it please. I bet you or your "confirmed" rep didn't even know the chart was on the site.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-11-08 at 12:20 PM.
    07-11-08 12:17 PM
    Why are users on this thread paying 15 bucks as well? Wait don't tell me, the rep told them what they wanted to hear.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/teathering-47696/
    07-11-08 12:26 PM
    I have Att I was wondering how I can use my blackberry as a modem so i can like go on an airplane and use my laptop with my black berry what all do i need
    08-26-08 04:37 PM
    $59.00 for 900 mins + $29.99 for BIS + $15.00 for tethering = What I pay...
    08-27-08 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD