I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone with teenagers on their family plan since I've got no kids of my own. My two nephews are coming to stay with my wife and I for the foreseeable future while their parents serve a military deployment. I'm going to be putting them on our family plan. Currently my wife and I have 700 minutes with unlimited texts. We hardly use our 700 as we communicate through text, BBM or our office lines during the day and in-calling, nights and weekends are free which comprise the bulk of our calling.

I figure that my nephews wouldn't need too many minutes since they'll be in school during the day (or at least they should be) and don't teenagers mainly text each other. When they're not at school the calls should be free as it would be either at night or during the weekends.

Generally, would 700 shared peak minutes be enough for a 14 and 15 year old?
    03-10-09 06:54 PM
    hi sinnerman - well, that sounds like it would be enuff-approx 350 mins each, but do they text more that they call their friends? and do their friend have verz also so if they call them its 'in' calling? 3 of my 5 kids are teen and they mainly tx with the unltd we have, their call times are about 250 mins. why dont you talk to your nephews and ask them how much do they use the phone compaired to texting? and if they use the phone, are most of their friends vzw? good luck-i hope everything works out for you!
    03-10-09 07:01 PM
    Since they'll be moving to Northern California from San Diego and therefore leaving most of their friends behind, I'm assuming that they're not going to have too many friends to call right away. Obviously, that's going to change. I can just hope they'll make friends with kids on vzw.
    03-10-09 07:09 PM
    You can keep your plan minutes but monitor them close. If you are getting close to going over. Call vzw and up the and have them back date it to the. Billing cycle. You can monitor from your online acct or #min. Also if you up to the 1400 min plan you will qual for friends and family

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 07:24 PM
    I would check on upping your plan for 4 devices, at least for the time they'll be there, or find out how much over minutes rates are. Weigh the cost potential, figure what'll work out best. Explain the rules, set limits, and be kind, but firm, if you lower expectations that's what you'll get.

03-10-09 07:27 PM
    My 14 year old son, husband & I have 500 minutes shared. With texting. My son has unlimited Verizon texting 500Otherwise but we are lucky most all of our contacts are Verizon. We never use more then 250 to 300 min all together. Good luck

03-10-09 07:33 PM
    I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone with teenagers on their family plan since I've got no kids of my own. My two nephews are coming to stay with my wife and I for the foreseeable future while their parents serve a military deployment. I'm going to be putting them on our family plan. Currently my wife and I have 700 minutes with unlimited texts. We hardly use our 700 as we communicate through text, BBM or our office lines during the day and in-calling, nights and weekends are free which comprise the bulk of our calling.

I figure that my nephews wouldn't need too many minutes since they'll be in school during the day (or at least they should be) and don't teenagers mainly text each other. When they're not at school the calls should be free as it would be either at night or during the weekends.

Generally, would 700 shared peak minutes be enough for a 14 and 15 year old?
    If 700 minutes isn't enough you could upgrade to the 1400 min plan and use the free Friends and & Family feature. Problem solved!
    03-10-09 08:08 PM
    Teens don't need ANY minutes.

Some things to consider - while they may not have friends locally, will they miss their friends back home? This could increase minutes. Sit down with them, get phone numbers they might call and how often. Plug those numbers into the VZW site to see if they are also VZW numbers. If they are, they are unlimited.

Talk to them, assess their level of maturity/responsibility, make a plan, then go with that. Check usage daily for anomalies and go from there.

03-10-09 08:19 PM
    From the teen opinion!
    I'm 14, I use about 100 mins a month.
    Not lieing! I mostly text, or Surf the web.
    Hardly even talk, 700 would be good.
    03-10-09 08:26 PM
    Me and most of my friends SMS (I have hearing problems but regardless, they never use any minutes either <and their NOT hearing disabled}). Odds are you could get away with 700 minutes if you keep the kids in line.

03-10-09 09:01 PM
    Just ask them if they tak or text more. Then keep an eye on usage.

As soon as you think you've got em pegged. Your bill will be triple what you thought due to overages.

03-10-09 11:11 PM
    Definately monitor the minutes.

Instead of asking how many minutes they need, you should ask how many they actually use. In my experience (2 grown sons now), if I didn't stay on top of them and monitor the bills would grow exponentially.

I'm almost convinced there's a super-secret-detect-a-teenager-chip installed in all phones which triples actual talk-time minutes LOL!
    03-10-09 11:55 PM
    It's not minutes they need. It is Unlimited Texting.

03-11-09 01:10 AM
    I am no longer a "teen" but here's my useage average.... I seem to be the exception rather than the rule though

350 mins
    900In mins
    200 night and weekend...

I think every scenario is different.... Not trying to tell you how to parent... But if they run into any kind of income.... Make them pay part of the bill... They will appreciate the phone more. Also, tell them that if they incur an overage fee, they will be responsible for paying for it... Whether it be by mowing yards or working it off around the house... They won't go over... And if they do it will only be once lol

03-11-09 01:43 AM
    I have 2 teenage boys in my house, and they both (before F & F) used about 100 to 200 minutes each a month. I do have unlimited texting as they burn about 2,000 to 3,000 text each each month. Now my 9 year old daughter goes through more minutes than the boys combined. I tell you girls like to talk, and boys like to text. That is the way it is with my kids.
    03-11-09 03:20 AM
    I am a "teenager" 19 will be 20 in June. I used to have unlimited minutes until verizon came out with the family and friends unlimited. I now have 900 minutes and I have five of my favorite people I talk to all the time! So really "teens" need a lot of minutes inless they just text like it is going out of style.
    03-11-09 08:05 AM
    I would reccomend unlimited text.....
    I am getting the hub; so I am definitely
    considering going from the unlimited to a lesser minute plan for him and possibly myself as well. But children text; and I will bet since they will be home sick for their old friends they may text like crazy. Also u can go into your account and limti the time they call and shut it down automaticaly when they exceed their minutes.. hope that helps
    03-11-09 10:53 AM
    2 boys, 17 and 19. you need unlimited texting.

how many minutes you use will depend upon if the people they call have vzw or not. Most of my younger son's friends have it so he doesn't use many minutes, not the case with my older son, but he does't use phone that much for calling.
    03-11-09 12:15 PM
    Definitely get the unlimited texting.....

I go through about 3-4K a month.... My little sister (16) did 9K last month
    03-11-09 01:06 PM
    Definitely get the unlimited texting.....

I go through about 3-4K a month.... My little sister (16) did 9K last month
    Look out - LTE comes & these two will be simultaneously talking, texting, surfing & possibly shopping.

And all we wanted was for someone to take the garbage out.

03-11-09 01:55 PM
    I agree. Just monitor your anytime minutes like a hawk and change if neccessary. The 1400 min plan has the 10 person friends and family option which allows you to assign up to 10 people off VZW network to call for free.
    03-11-09 03:57 PM
    Check out Friends and Family feature on a 1400 min plan. OR better yet. Subscribe to "Usage Controls" from your my account on verizonwireless.com
    UBER AWSOME!!!!!
    You can put limits on minutes, messages, time they can use phone, block numbers and trusted numbers!
    I sell more phones for kids based on the fact the parents can do this.
    03-13-09 03:16 PM
    OH, Friends and Family is free
    up to 10 numbers
    Usage controls is $4.99 per line but SO WORTH IT
    03-13-09 03:16 PM
    I'm with Heather on the usage controls, and TX on the talking to them idea. Let them know what you expect, plan for responsible use and then hold them too it by monitoring them.
    03-13-09 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD