As I see more and more people rockin berries, I'm curious how much of our data plan fee goes to RIM for access to the BIS/BES networks? Does all of the $30 for BIS go to Verizon? Its almost startling how many BB's I've seen in the past few months. Hopefully someone in the know can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 08:14 PM
    thats a good question. we should put our data plan to use and google it.
    01-24-09 08:16 PM
    i am not quite sure how much goes, but that is a very interesting question, i doubt all of it goes because thats why verizon didnt sign with apple because they would have had to pay apple to much money monthly for each subscription.
    01-24-09 08:16 PM
    Hhmmmm....that is a good one-i wuld say lots of $$$$. That's why the prez of RIM is sittin pretty while us regulars keep payin 4 the perks of the berry! Lol-damn can only imagine!

01-24-09 10:55 PM
    10-40% of the data plan revenue goes to RIM, depending on the type. BIS is less, while BES is more.

Considering RIM is handling a considerable amount of the data traffic, it is a good deal for the carriers.

01-25-09 02:05 PM
    I'd like to know how you know that.
    01-26-09 10:03 PM
    8-13$/account per month
    01-26-09 10:13 PM
    I honestly don't know the amount they get...and if I did, I couldn't tell anyhow or I might be out of a job.

But I would honestly expect to see the majority of the data plans go back to RIM. With the number of blackberries in circulation exploding these past 2 years, RIM must need the $$$ to up their servers in order to continue providing BB users service. As you, the customer, may see from time to time outages in data service, RIM is also updating their servers. We had such an outage this past wknd 1/23-1/25. These outages due to RIM updates.

VZW doesn't milk it's customers for every nickel and dime despite some people's opinion. We put our revenue back into it's customers.
    01-26-09 10:17 PM
    I'd like to know how you know that.
    Well - let's just say I am one of many who put up the infrastructure the carriers use to provide you with your mobile service.

Besides, a well thought Internet search will get you in the ballpark.

Rwking does mention something many conveniently forget. VZW's North American assets dwarf those of not just Sprint & T-Mobile, but AT&T, as well. They place a much higher percentage of revenues into network infrastructure than does anyone else. This is why their network performance is consistently well above all others. In every major market, VZW places at the top the vast majority of the time, while AT&T never gets out of third or fourth place. VZW ranks no lower than second place in each market, usually falling just a point or two behind Alltel and, in some very isolated cases, T-Mobile. Do I need to remind anyone who just bought Alltel?

Overall, it has been VZW, Alltel, T-Mobile, AT&T & then Sprint, in that order for quality. The only thing that keeps Sprint anywhere on the charts is the fact their credit requirements are only slightly tighter than Cricket. I see people using Sprint & I imagine credit scores in the 400 range. I see people who screamed about AT&T long distance & refused to use anything but MCI or Sprint long distance now slobberying over AT&T.

They generally knew little about quality then and they still don't.

These rankings come not only from industry analysts, but also customers, magazines like PCMag/Consumer Reports and newspapers.

I make more money off of AT&T than I do VZW because of their repair needs, yet I choose VZW - as rwking put it, VZW doesn't milk their costomers. Quality costs $$$.

01-27-09 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD