So I work in Verizon Wireless Customer Care. You dial *611 from your phone and you can reach me. I've worked at VZW for only 8 months. I received a call this morning from a customer, whom later into the call I found out is actually an employee. She didn't understand her bill and I attempted to explain month in advance billing (that ALL carriers do). She then blew up in my face saying she's worked at X call center in customer care for over 4 yrs. Which struck me as odd since she didn't know what month in advance billing was. She called me on her consumer account, normally she would've gone to the employee queue. So, she continued to insult my intelligence and belittle me until she finally requested a supervisor. I transferred to the supervisor where she was informed the exact information I had given. She attempted a further escalation and is going to receive a callback from a manager.

So...being that she worked for VZW Customer Care for over 4 yrs, and 4 months shy from a year, is not only odd that she didn't understand the billing process...but sad. So how much do you know...if you don't know basic billing?

Does anyone else not understand month in advance billing and would like me to explain it to you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-08 01:20 PM
    Seemed easy enough to me when I first signed up for VZW. Pay for this month that we are in, and nect month. That way you are always "pre"paying for the next month. When you are done with your service, I would assume (I hate doing that), that as long as you are up to date on your payments, the last month would not be billes, since you have payed it already. That also goes into consideration you have not changed your account, plan, services, add-ons, ect.

Hope I am right, I have been with VZW for years, and while I think they are kinda on the expensive side, I am still very happy with the service I get. Both reception AND customer service.
    09-21-08 01:27 PM
    well certain parts of the company dont get trained the same way. sometimes they just help with basic data and phone activation support. who knows?
    09-21-08 01:43 PM
    You did the right thing to come here and to air your hurt and bad experience. A problem shared....

Some people just like to vent at CS reps. Having run a Help Center for a while and I have seen this many, many times.

The issue of not understanding the bill seems secondary to your slight confusion of being verbally attacked - perhaps betrayed would be a better word.

When you deal with people, you understand that they have moods and mood swings. I am sure that you too understand this. Maybe your colleague was just having a bad day, who knows.

Either way, you did your job to your personal and professional best. That is all that can be asked of you.
    09-21-08 01:54 PM
    Your supervisor should be sending feedback to their supervisor. It's absolutely unacceptable for anyone, especially a fellow employee to behave like this.

09-21-08 07:13 PM
    The supervisor who called her back explained everything we had talked about. There was no errors on the bill and his remarks basically said the customer wasn't able to understand month in advance billing and that no credits or adjustments would be made, to which the 'customer' hung up.

After getting feedback from my fellow CB members and co-workers, I have submitted an e-mail to my supervisor with her information, location, and her supervisors name. I'm sure she won't be fired since she's been with the company for so long, which is not what I'd even ask for, its all just a misunderstanding. I even reiterated that with my sup. I'm not mad she cussed me out, I just suggested some constructive training on the billing system would help with her confusion and would definitely help her with customer inquiries.

Hotel - you're a consumer who understands the billing process and I thank you enough!! You are exactly right on how its billed. Yes, I agree Verizon is on the expensive side, but its what I tell every customer that says that...your paying for the network. I'm glad you understand that Its the largest and most reliable. I'd rather pay extra and know I'll get service, than pay less and have poor service.

I travel a lot for fun so, for me, its great to know my phone will work pretty much wherever I go

09-21-08 07:28 PM
    There's a stickied thread at the top of this forum where Verizon employees plan to hang out and answer questions. You might want to consider lending your expertise there. Thanks for joining CrackBerry.
    09-21-08 10:10 PM
    Lol, I love my fellow employees!

You do need to realize tho that it's VERY proable that whomever this person is works, FS, IRT, IMT, etc and never needs to look at a bill.

But you shouldn't have been able to open an EPP acct anyways. My guess is its outsource or an emp calling in for a customer who's a friend.
    09-22-08 05:45 PM
    So I work in Verizon Wireless Customer Care. You dial *611 from your phone and you can reach me. I've worked at VZW for only 8 months. I received a call this morning from a customer, whom later into the call I found out is actually an employee. She didn't understand her bill and I attempted to explain month in advance billing (that ALL carriers do). She then blew up in my face saying she's worked at X call center in customer care for over 4 yrs. Which struck me as odd since she didn't know what month in advance billing was. She called me on her consumer account, normally she would've gone to the employee queue. So, she continued to insult my intelligence and belittle me until she finally requested a supervisor. I transferred to the supervisor where she was informed the exact information I had given. She attempted a further escalation and is going to receive a callback from a manager.

So...being that she worked for VZW Customer Care for over 4 yrs, and 4 months shy from a year, is not only odd that she didn't understand the billing process...but sad. So how much do you know...if you don't know basic billing?

Does anyone else not understand month in advance billing and would like me to explain it to you?

when i worked there (just recently quit, got tired of "these" kinds of questions) i told 'em "first and last months rent. when you started we charged the partial month, and a month in advance. if your plan changes, up or down, we'll adjust your plan rate on your next bill. hence proration, we bill in full months, and we anticipate you to have this plan, if it changes, we'll adjust it. " and usually its simple enough unless they're REALLY ******** then i just tell 'em to read along their bill with me while i explain, helps to have more than one...
    09-22-08 10:47 PM
    I had to deal with a CS rep at AT&T who didnt understand month in advance billing. I had to explain it to him that I was not paying for that month because I had canceled my plan the day before the hack date, and had already paid for that month of use. Needless to say, that confirmed for me why I had left AT&T, and came back to Verizon.
    09-22-08 10:54 PM
    I'm not surprised at all. I've had conversations with reps, salespersons, and techs from multiple companies, and many have suggested I should consider doing what they do. And I can't believe this person thought that advance billing was so strange. It is common practice in other industries, such as cable tv (both verizon and what I like to call the "legacy" cable companies), landline service, and I'm pretty sure that XM/Sirius do it as well. I've never understood how people can get so angry over something so trivial.
    09-23-08 05:48 AM
    I work in customer service in the cable TV industry, same job for 12 years.

We bill in advance for services also. Many times, it is VERY difficult to explain the prorates to a customer. Years ago, I worked in a call center, but now I work in a walk-in location.

I've had many customers tell me that they've already called in and couldn't get a good explanation so they were sent to me. I have the ability to print duplicate bills, going back years in some cases. So I can print bills for multiple months and compare them side-by-side for my customers. It helps a lot when the rep and the customer are looking at exactly the same thing.

I've also found that a lot of the time, the customers have no idea that we bill in advance, and they have no idea what their service period is. With us, the first day of your service month is the day that service is connected. If you connect on the 1st, then your service month is the 1st of this month thru the last day of this month. If you connect on the 23rd, then your service month is the 23rd of this month thru the 22nd of next month.

Patches, I like your idea of first & last month's rent. I think I'll use that at work tomorrow.
    09-25-08 11:04 PM
    Here's another spin. Could this have been a test to see how you would handle a kind of bizarre situation, like a mystery shopper, except not so mysterious
    09-25-08 11:47 PM
    Here's another spin. Could this have been a test to see how you would handle a kind of bizarre situation, like a mystery shopper, except not so mysterious
    would never happen.
    09-26-08 12:35 AM
    She definitely shouldn't have been so rude with you. I also think she it's not that hard to understand what advanced billing is. But as far as her knowing about it, that's another story. If she's an employee and deals with those types of transactions, then I would question the people who is supposed to be training them. In the 2 years that I had verizon, on the last 4 months did someone ever tell me about advanced billing. So since you're new to the company, maybe they didn't do it before because this time last year whenever I switched data plans or added one, I didn't get billed in advance.

So even though she's been there a long time, this could be something relatively new to her and it brings to question about those who should be properly training employees. I'm sure at one time or another we talked to a CSR at our respective companies and knew more about something then they did.
    09-26-08 12:55 PM
    I've worked for Verizon for 4 years and everything has always been billed in advance. If you didn't think it was, you probably just didn't notice.

09-26-08 01:00 PM
    Question....so if I am getting billed in advance....if I cancel my service will I still be able to use that service until the billing cycle ends? Or will it be terminated instantly and I get a refund for what I have paid? Doesn't matter I am not leaving just want to know.

Also, I don't think I am on advanced billing. Is everyone? My term is like the 15th to the 15th. I usually get a bill around like the 23rd ish that states my usages and then I pay that.
    09-26-08 09:01 PM
    If you cancel service the disconnect doesn't take effect until the end of your billing cycle and you get one final bill that is zero.

If your bill ends on the 15th, it takes about 7 days for the bill to get to you. You pay any usage (downloads, overages) after since there's no way to know that in advance and pay for the standard service fees for the next month and the bill would be due by the 10th.
    09-26-08 09:05 PM
    Well VZW makes it so easy to take my money I usually pay before I get the email about paying.
    09-26-08 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD