I searched some older post but really didn't find anything to answer this for me. Me and my wife are currently with alltel have a 3rd line that we use for tethering. Its perfect for us since they don't offer dsl where we live (we only live 2 miles from the local city limit sign!) and its only $35/month total (extra line plus tethering) for "unlimited data".

We have decided that once the merger is completed we are both going to upgrade to a Storm and cancel our 3rd line. Since its $30/month to tether with a BIS plan I think we are only going to add it to her phone.

How much internet can you use and not go over 5GB? I know downloading music and streaming youtube can hit it pretty fast, but not sure how much "normal" internet usage you can get. I can get by 99.9% of the time by just using the phone itself since most of what I do is check sports and news and getting on crackberry, facebook, and occasionally youtube mobile but my wife needs to get on a computer since she is a school teacher (doing attendance and whatnot).

Thanks for any info and sorry if this has been answered before and I didn't actually see it.
    01-01-09 05:49 PM
    I searched some older post but really didn't find anything to answer this for me. Me and my wife are currently with alltel have a 3rd line that we use for tethering. Its perfect for us since they don't offer dsl where we live (we only live 2 miles from the local city limit sign!) and its only $35/month total (extra line plus tethering) for "unlimited data".

We have decided that once the merger is completed we are both going to upgrade to a Storm and cancel our 3rd line. Since its $30/month to tether with a BIS plan I think we are only going to add it to her phone.

How much internet can you use and not go over 5GB? I know downloading music and streaming youtube can hit it pretty fast, but not sure how much "normal" internet usage you can get. I can get by 99.9% of the time by just using the phone itself since most of what I do is check sports and news and getting on crackberry, facebook, and occasionally youtube mobile but my wife needs to get on a computer since she is a school teacher (doing attendance and whatnot).

Thanks for any info and sorry if this has been answered before and I didn't actually see it.
    I have tethering right now with VZW, originally with the 8830 and now with the Storm. Service is great, works very well.

I will say this, I normally just use the tethering when I'm traveling, I find the tethering more reliable than the wifi offered by the various hotels that I go to. Also go to upstate NY to my friend's cabin and get great EVDO coverage.

Here's what you can expect: if all you're doing is e-mail, checking facebook, reading articles, looking at sports, and watching the occasional youtube video or downloading the occasional song, you should be absolutely FINE! (I actually was surprised at how little data I go through in a month).

However, if you do a lot of video streaming (I have a slingbox), you'll eat through your monthly allotment in no time. When I went upstate, I was streaming slingbox. I fell asleep and woke up 14 (yes, 14) hours later, and had gone through over 2 gigs of use in those 14 hours. YIKES! Almost half my monthly allowance.

Yet, I just watched how much I streamed slingbox for the rest of the month and didn't go over the limit.

Not to mention, with VZ Access Manager (the program you use to connect via tethering), there's a "Usage" button where you can see how much of your monthly allotment you've gone through. You can also call #DATA and it will txt you back with your usage at that point.

So, for the vast majority of what you're saying you'll do with tethering, you'll be fine with 5 gigs/month. Again, if you pay attention to how much you use, I think you'll be surprised at how little it actually is.

PM if you have any other questions!
    01-01-09 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the info! We are both counting down the days until we can finally get our storms
    01-01-09 06:20 PM
    I've used tethering and now a data card for my main internet connection which I use every day. I use anywhere from 3-4 GB a month. But understand I dont do file sharing, a lot of large downloading/uploading etc. Just your regular internet/email/etc.
    01-02-09 03:20 AM
    I've used about 3.5-4 gb in the past 8 days while visiting the parentals. They still only have dial-up at home and only OTA TV broadcasts.

Suffice it to say, I've been doing a lot of Hulu streaming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD