...do I need to suffer before I can get a *NEW* phone?

Since getting my 8330 last Feb (2009), I am now on Curve # 5

#1: Stopped working. Random resets, hangs, etc. Lasted about 6 months.
    #2: Camera stopped working
    #3: Mute button (which I use to lock the phone) stopped working
    #4: blown speaker. VZW CS girl activated phone, said, "This isn't right", and replaced phone.
    #5: Doing what #1 did: crashes when using any non-native app. Browser locks phone up. Random resets a few times a day. Battery life is horrible. Memory leaks. Oh, and since this phone was the last one they had, it had the trackball cannibalized out of it. They took the trackball out of #4 and put it in #5. It was either that or wait a few days and make another trip to the mall when the next shipment came in.

Have run 4.5.0.77 or 4.5.0.138 and 2-3 3rd party apps (Slacker, a basic blackjack, quicklaunch) on all of them.

Stopped in the local VZW corp store at the mall today. Usually, they are very helpful, and today the rep told me that there's simply nothing they can do except replace my phone with another re-furbished phone. He suggested to call the customer service line and see how I make out.

No, I'm not looking for an upgrade. I just want a "NEW" 8330. If they offer me a 8530 or whatever; great. And no, I'm not renewing my contract. I am eligible for a Blackberry through work, and that's $100/month I don't need to spend, and will take advantage of come Feb 2011.

What does the Crackberry Collective feel my luck will be? I'm at work now and can't really sit on hold/have a conversation about this right now on the phone, so I plan on calling later.
    06-01-10 01:17 PM
    They don't make those phones new anymore so your chances are slim to none. I would see if you can maybe sneak your way into a newer phone.
    06-01-10 01:25 PM
    Do you have an extended warranty? Because Feb of 2009 is way past the first year of warranty. You can try calling RIM if the warranty process VzW provides is not sufficent. Keep in mind they only honor one year as well.
    06-01-10 03:11 PM
    I have the curve 8530 (got in feb 10) and have been having issues with my trackpad, they sent me a "like-new" one and before I even turned it on found a problem with the track pad, called them they sent me another "like new" one again another problem (they where all dif problems) and called and they are sending me a brand new one, should have it tomarrow. I would assume since you have the curve with a trackball that they may not make that anymore, I was under impression the curve 8530 replaced that one. Call and ask for a brand new one, and if they wont give you one or say they no longer make it ask for a curve 8530
    06-01-10 03:17 PM
    I had 4 Tours now have the Curve 8530 have it for 1.5 months and I love it
    no issues at all. Call Customer Care and ask to speak to a supervisor Be nice when talking to them. Perhaps they will let you have the 8530 It is ridiculous to keep sending phone after phone and nothing is resolved
    06-01-10 03:29 PM
    I am SO pissed off at Vz and this crap insurer. I just got a refurbished replacement two months ago and now the charger connection piece is loose and they will not replace the phone unless I pay a new $90 fee. I amy sure them because I am pretty sure this violates the Uniform Commercial Code. WTF kind of company only gives a 7 day warranty for their phones?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 04:26 PM
    I am SO pissed off at Vz and this crap insurer. I just got a refurbished replacement two months ago and now the charger connection piece is loose and they will not replace the phone unless I pay a new $90 fee. I amy sure them because I am pretty sure this violates the Uniform Commercial Code. WTF kind of company only gives a 7 day warranty for their phones?!

How long ago did you get your first phone?
    06-01-10 06:16 PM
    ...do I need to suffer before I can get a *NEW* phone?

Since getting my 8330 last Feb (2009), I am now on Curve # 5

#1: Stopped working. Random resets, hangs, etc. Lasted about 6 months.
    #2: Camera stopped working
    #3: Mute button (which I use to lock the phone) stopped working
    #4: blown speaker. VZW CS girl activated phone, said, "This isn't right", and replaced phone.
    #5: Doing what #1 did: crashes when using any non-native app. Browser locks phone up. Random resets a few times a day. Battery life is horrible. Memory leaks. Oh, and since this phone was the last one they had, it had the trackball cannibalized out of it. They took the trackball out of #4 and put it in #5. It was either that or wait a few days and make another trip to the mall when the next shipment came in.

Have run 4.5.0.77 or 4.5.0.138 and 2-3 3rd party apps (Slacker, a basic blackjack, quicklaunch) on all of them.

Stopped in the local VZW corp store at the mall today. Usually, they are very helpful, and today the rep told me that there's simply nothing they can do except replace my phone with another re-furbished phone. He suggested to call the customer service line and see how I make out.

No, I'm not looking for an upgrade. I just want a "NEW" 8330. If they offer me a 8530 or whatever; great. And no, I'm not renewing my contract. I am eligible for a Blackberry through work, and that's $100/month I don't need to spend, and will take advantage of come Feb 2011.

What does the Crackberry Collective feel my luck will be? I'm at work now and can't really sit on hold/have a conversation about this right now on the phone, so I plan on calling later.
    I am having the same problem with sprint and the tour. #5 should be here tomorrow. When I go to a store (125 miles away) they tell me to call cs. When I call cs they tell me to go to the store. Wth is that. I am just trying to be patient and hopefully get one that works.
    06-01-10 07:37 PM
    How long ago did you get your first phone?
    I got the original curve 2 years ago. I got the refurbished one two months ago.
    06-01-10 08:22 PM
    To the OP, you actually may quality for the CPO program if you are over the one year warranty. Call to find out.

06-01-10 08:32 PM
    To the OP, you actually may quality for the CPO program if you are over the one year warranty. Call to find out.

What is that?
    06-01-10 09:42 PM
    It its the certified preowned program. You can buy certified like new phones for a fraction if the retail price.

06-01-10 09:55 PM
    The biggest problem I see is that you are outside you warranty. So unless you have the extended warranty, Verizon has no obligation to even give you a refurbished device.

06-01-10 09:58 PM
    I think the original warranty is a year, and each refurb has a 90-day warranty.

I think.

I'll be calling tomorrow.
    06-01-10 10:11 PM
    When did you get your last replacement?

06-01-10 10:56 PM
    I think the original warranty is a year, and each refurb has a 90-day warranty.

I think.

I'll be calling tomorrow.
    This is correct
    06-02-10 02:55 AM
    When did you get your last replacement?

Two weeks ago maybe?

They handed me the phone (after replacing the missing trackball out of the phone with the out-of-the-box blown speaker), I sat on a bench outside the store and downloaded AppWorld and it crashed. I figured it was the OS "settling in" but after probably 25 [random] resets over the past two weeks, I'd say this thing is toast.

Yesterday, I went to bed with 20% battery after a day which included fairly light usage (no slacker, maybe 20 short texts, 8 phone calls all lasting less than 5 minutes--I checked-- and some very light net usage). I don't remember ever draining a battery that low even streaming audio and surfing the net for hours at the beach.

Last edited by angrybassets; 06-02-10 at 06:53 AM.
    06-02-10 06:48 AM
    Well, I called and spoke with C/S. They offered me an early upgrade to a 8530 @ $179 (-ish ?) with a $20 "early upgrade fee", which would renew my contract by 2 years. I told her, politely, that wasn't acceptable, and that all I wanted was a NEW 8330 that *worked*. She referred me to tech support, who also handles warranty issues.

I talked to that guy, explained my problems and told me that he wasn't even going to bother trouble shooting, and would send me a...wait for it...a "LIKE NEW" phone.

I asked about the "CPO" program, and he said, "Oh yeah, we can do that". For $139, I got a "LIKE NEW" 8530 with NO renewal and a 1-year warranty.

Both reps were polite and helpful.

It's still a "used" phone, but overall I'm pleased. I'll get meeself an Otterbox Communter and call it done.

Also, even if I decide to take the Sprint/Nextel 8350i I will likely be offered by my job shortly, I can use my upgrade for my wife come fall...hopefully for a VZW iPhone.
    06-02-10 11:07 AM
    So did you get the 8530?

06-02-10 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD