10-29-10 10:34 AM
29 12
tools
    4g lte speeds going to be 5-10MB and upload around 2-4MB

Impressive speeds. so my question is how many people are going to tether their phone android or BB and get rid of home internet like me.

I plan to buy a used phone dedicated to home internet by wifi tethering iy.
    10-14-10 01:25 PM

Impressive speeds. so my question is how many people are going to tether their phone android or BB and get rid of home internet like me.

If Rogers Wireless offered unlimited data plans or even 10GB for CAD25.00/month I might consider it. I would really like to see a screen the size of that on the BB9700 with the optics to render a viewable screen equivalent of approximately 7-inches or 10-inches. That would be more useful and would allow people to the option to replace home Internet with 3G/4G/.../xG capable smartphones.
    10-14-10 01:36 PM
    No I will not be getting rid of my dsl since most likely lte plans will have a cap and speeds will be regulated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 01:53 PM
    I've already done it with just 3G.
    10-14-10 02:35 PM
    Not with 3 PCs, 2 laptops, a Wii, a DS, a DSi, an iPod Touch, 2 BBs, a Roku box and T-Mo Home VOIP all using my connection at any given time.
    10-14-10 02:41 PM
    I don't have dsl or cable or fios or any option even available locally for home internet besides tethering via my mobile device already unfortunately. Hopefully they get some sort of actual internet access to my home someday because I hate the cap on my data use for tethering/using my droid 2 for generating a wifi hotspot.
    10-14-10 04:57 PM
    Doubt my kids can do their homework on my blackberry

10-15-10 08:12 AM

As someone else said, it all depends on their prices and usage caps. Right now the LTE speeds would destroy my DSL, however my DSL also costs $14.95/month and has no data cap.
    10-15-10 09:18 AM
    I couldn't do it. I can easily use 5GB data on the Web in one day, and my DSL has no data caps.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-15-10 09:28 AM
    I'm uncapped down, typically average around 33, with 5+ up. No way would I be downgrading my internet service. I would chew up 5gb in minutes.
    10-15-10 10:00 AM
    A few months ago I ditched Qwest DSL for Clearwire 4G wireless high speed. Not only is it $20/month cheaper, it's three times as fast! Multiple times I have seen 1.0 Mbps actual speed downloads and DSL would max at 300 kbps. Very very happy so far! Can't wait to see what LTE brings though!
    10-15-10 11:55 AM
    4G will eventually be available AS your home connection. 4G isn't just for mobile devices.
    10-15-10 12:16 PM
    I got rid of home internet when GSM first came to my area around 2003. Haven't looked back since. I use my BlackBerry as my main internet.

10-16-10 06:52 PM
    I would still keep my home Internet since I would easily do 5gb. I do on average 100gb a month. Youtube and netflix for me and my brother and my parents stream video from asian everynight. They watch movies for a few hours.

10-17-10 04:52 PM
    Fios > LTE
    10-17-10 10:35 PM
    I have wireless internet with Verizon. I am grandfathered in on unlimited and am not changing. I am ok with what I have.........unlimited and until they tell me I can't have it anymore, not changing. I have had it for almost 7 years
    10-17-10 11:33 PM
    When they make a torrent client compatible with blackberries

10-19-10 01:34 PM
    Verizon keeps saying their 4g is going to be great for "streaming videos" and "gaming" and "video conferencing" so the caps better be high if they're positioning that as the main use of their service.

10-19-10 04:17 PM
    We currently have Clear internet. If there are advantages to lte we may consider making the switch. So far no complaints with Clear.
    10-19-10 09:15 PM
    If you do any kind of online gaming, a capped internet solution is not a good idea.
    10-20-10 10:40 AM
    I see LTE as a downgrade to modern Cable/DSL. Why? Because internet speeds with 4G/LTE will depend on a company's coverage, and of course while you can torrent while tethered, it's really not worth it. It's extremely easy to go over your monthly data limit, which will end up costing you more in the end.

I pay $25 a month for 0.525 megabytes/sec. Why do I have such crappy internet speeds? Because honestly, it's fast enough for gaming, low latency, and it's the only internet provider in Ontario that allows for UNLIMITED monthly downloading! Woohoo! So I can download games off of steam, and stream as much online content as I want without worrying or paying extra each month.

As cool as Verizon MiFi is, it's still not a polished technology and still has some way to go before anyone can use it for lengthy periods of time
    10-20-10 10:54 AM
    Fios > LTE
    I won't say that FIOS is going away, because it isn't. Verizon is pretty much done with any FIOS expansion though. With few exceptions, if you don't have the ability to get FIOS now, you may never get it.
    10-20-10 10:59 AM
    Never. Don't want my internet dependent upon my phone. If that is your only source of internet access, then it makes sense for some. I can't imagine a carrier is going to allow that kind of widespread bandwidth use and will eventually adjust their data plans to prevent it with the tiered approach ATT has taken.
    10-20-10 11:32 AM
    Does anyone actually know for sure that 4G bba cards will be capped or is this speculation? When 3G bba cards launched they were unlimited.

10-20-10 05:37 PM
    Who has "home internet" anymore? We've been using mifi for a year and some change now. And now with mobile hotspot on phones, "home internet" is about as ancient as land lines.

10-20-10 08:35 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD