AT&T has capped its data plans...

200 mb for $15/month and 2GB for $25 a month.

How long until Verizon does the same? If you are on unlimited plans, you can stay. For now...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 06:14 AM

How long until Verizon does the same? If you are on unlimited plans, you can stay. For now...

Probably as soon as they can btw I am on unlimited tho lol
    06-02-10 06:47 AM
    I don't use too much a month, less than 2GB on a normal month, but even though I don't use more than that, I like the comfort of knowing its unlimited. It's like my texting, I don't even come close to needing it, as most of my contacts are on Verizon...but I have unlimited for peace of mind that there won't be any surprises when my bill comes.

06-02-10 06:51 AM

Here's a link to an article about it: New AT&T data plans for iPhones, iPads, smartphones | Crave - CNET

Also Verizon has said that "unlimited" is gone with LTE. I wonder if this will spur them to change sooner.
    06-02-10 06:52 AM
    I don't use too much a month, less than 2GB on a normal month, but even though I don't use more than that, I like the comfort of knowing its unlimited. It's like my texting, I don't even come close to needing it, as most of my contacts are on Verizon...but I have unlimited for peace of mind that there won't be any surprises when my bill comes.

my thoughts exactly.
    &i'm sure there are many more that feel the same.
    Last edited by baberz; 06-02-10 at 06:57 AM.
    06-02-10 06:54 AM
    i say in the coming months, just so the carriers can stay "competitive".
    06-02-10 07:24 AM

I agree completely. I'd much rather have more than I need as opposed to not enough, and end up with a gigantic bill. I did that once years ago on my talk time, but thankfully I was able to call VZW and up my minutes before the billing cycle ended.
    06-02-10 07:32 AM

Yeah I have unlimited SmS texting , I get alot of text messsages a month I hope they never change that part , the data I have never come close to going over the limit anyhoo ,
    06-02-10 08:08 AM
    Well, I'm glad we all agree. I am glad I just resigned my contract. I was floating without a contract for a while and than the Incredible hit...so at least I'll have my "peace of mind" for another 23 months.
    06-02-10 09:05 AM

+1

BKVic
    06-02-10 09:37 AM
    after i upgrade to the new bold/tour 2 in october i'm going to switch back to my old alltel plan ...may cost a bit more but at least i can get totally unlimited internet on both phones and data card/mi-fi
    06-02-10 10:28 AM
    They don't offer Alltel plans now.
    06-02-10 11:51 AM
    Seeing as some users will go over and complain to get credits, won't they be forced into giving us unlimited plans? =P

06-02-10 12:15 PM
    I can imagine they would still have an Unlimited plan...but for more....geez that'll suck.
    06-02-10 12:39 PM
    Well, I'm glad we all agree. I am glad I just resigned my contract. I was floating without a contract for a while and than the Incredible hit...so at least I'll have my "peace of mind" for another 23 months.
    I personally don't have a problem with the tiered pricing because it makes more sense to me to pay for what you use, and not for what you don't. And we'll no longer have to debate about what the "unofficial limit" is on "unlimited plans".

What I'd like to see, though, is have tethering data included in your smartphone data and just make data usage, well, data usage. So if $25 gets you 2 gigs and $10 for each gig thereafter (following AT&T's pricing), then what does it matter whether it's your smartphone or computer eating the data? You'll be paying for incremental usage anyway ...
    06-02-10 01:10 PM
    Essentially, the most cost effective way to pay for a cell phone bill is pre-paid by the min, and by the KB.
    06-02-10 01:28 PM
    I use about 130 MB per month, and my wife uses about 5 MB per month. Paying $15/mo for the 2 of us would save me $30/mo. Currently I'm paying nearly $60/mo for the 2 of us. I'm a pretty heavy user, but most of the sites I visit are mobile sites so they are not large in size.
    06-02-10 01:53 PM
    I use about 130 MB per month, and my wife uses about 5 MB per month. Paying $15/mo for the 2 of us would save me $30/mo. Currently I'm paying nearly $60/mo for the 2 of us. I'm a pretty heavy user, but most of the sites I visit are mobile sites so they are not large in size.
    But now that phones have faster processors and a high speed connection to the internet, mobile sites will either become obsolete or become more complex. Basically, they will adapt to new technology. Thus, more data usage.
    06-02-10 02:18 PM
    I personally don't have a problem with the tiered pricing because it makes more sense to me to pay for what you use, and not for what you don't. And we'll no longer have to debate about what the "unofficial limit" is on "unlimited plans".

What I'd like to see, though, is have tethering data included in your smartphone data and just make data usage, well, data usage. So if $25 gets you 2 gigs and $10 for each gig thereafter (following AT&T's pricing), then what does it matter whether it's your smartphone or computer eating the data? You'll be paying for incremental usage anyway ...
    It does make sense, but I would rather pay $5 more bucks a month to have true unlimited data from my handset. I never worry if I'll have a surprise on my bill. I do get close to the 2GB by the end of my bill cycle. My phone is my primary device for internet...yes I have a laptop, but my wife uses it. I do everything from my phone.

It's just like unlimited texting. I pay $30 for my two lines (mine and my wife's). I could down it to 500 messages for $10 per line, but I'd rather pay the extra money to have the assurance that I can send/receive as many off network texts as I want.

I don't need to cut costs because I know that having a smart phone is a financial obligation. So I'm just happy with my unlimited (whatever the cost is within reason).
    06-02-10 02:20 PM
    That would be amazing. When my wife and I had the iPhone 3GS, she used 10MB of data and I used 3GB. But for someone in your situation, that's awesome. It will save you extra. For me, I'm looking to pay more. It depends on your circumstances.
    06-02-10 02:21 PM
    This won't affect VZW as much because we don't have the iPhone or iPad. With the iPhone you get 5gb of data for 29.99. Now they are going to cut it to 2GB for $25? So for the same 5gb they used to have for 30 now it will cost 55. That's just crazy. Real nice ATT.
    06-02-10 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD