I live in the US, making my first visit to Canada since I got my Tour. I called Verizon today and got the low-down.

• The customer service woman informed me that if I do nothing with my current plan ($30/month Blackberry data plan), my roaming charges will be $0.002 per KB. At my current average data usage, that works out to about $3.50-$4.00 a day.
    • OR I can call customer support a couple days before the trip, add the GlobalEmail plan, and then call again and cancel it afterwards. This plan is $64.99/month and replaces your current BB data plan, so for me it amounts to an extra $35/month. By adding it on a couple days before the trip and taking it off right after, the extra $35 would be effectively prorated for only the time I have it enabled. I estimate this would end up being about $1.17 a day ($35 / 30 days per billing cycle) no matter how much data I use.

That's a no brainer!

Just thought I'd put it all here in one place for people wanting to know preemptively, what the bottom line is on how much their Canada trip is likely to cost them, and what they can do about it. You shouldn't have to guess and hope you won't get hit. I'll post again after I make the trip and get my bill.
    05-18-10 02:48 PM
    Its a shame that the networks here in Canada don't offer a prepaid BIS setup like in the UK.

Enjoy your trip! Not sure where you're headed, but the weather in Toronto is up and down everyday...can't make up its mind!
    05-19-10 07:42 PM
    VZW has that Canada voice plan too, are you adding that? Or just using data during your trip?
    05-19-10 08:14 PM
    Here, take a look at this. See if this helps.
    05-20-10 12:48 AM
    VZW has that Canada voice plan too, are you adding that? Or just using data during your trip?
    I'm not planning on using very many voice minutes, if any, while I'm there, so I didn't ask about that. I'm aware of Verizon's "plus Canada" voice plan, but I'm not sure if you can just switch back and forth to that for a few days at a time.

I believe the "plus Canada" plan replaces your current voice plan (just as the GlobalEmail does on the data side). As far as I know there's no other "add-on" you can get for international roaming. Unless you have the plus Canada plan it's just $0.69/minute for all calls sent and received in addition to any long distance charges.

The big downside to the Plus Canada plans, as everyone knows, is that you get 1,000 night/weekend minutes instead of unlimited night/weekend minutes.
    05-24-10 05:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD