05-24-09 06:46 PM
38 12
tools
    An article I came across this morning. Sad.... all for a 20 dollar unpaid balance

Unconscious Carroll man found after 11-hour search - New Philadelphia, OH - The Times-Reporter
    Last edited by LCintheOC; 05-22-09 at 03:55 PM. Reason: wrong link!
    05-22-09 02:38 PM
    Verizon is good, you just gotta know how to deal with them, yes they are expensive but your paying for wat you are getting.
    05-22-09 02:40 PM
    Am I missing something here? REad the article, but not sure how this fits in with the title of this thread?
    05-22-09 02:47 PM
    Wow! Sounds as if it hurt.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 03:03 PM
    After reading the title, I want to watch waynes world now.

05-22-09 03:13 PM
    Am I missing something here? REad the article, but not sure how this fits in with the title of this thread?
    Stupid thread

It doesnt have anything to do with the title, where's a mod when you need one?
    05-22-09 03:15 PM
    05-22-09 03:29 PM
    I love how as soon as someone has a bad experience with a carrier they automatically start bad mouthing the carrier...Probably 70% of the people that complain about how crappy their carrier is are the reason why they think their carrier is crappy. If you go into a cell phone store and start yelling at people about how much you hate this and that...they're probably going to tell you to go F&^% yourself...I know I would...And I know I have...people need to learn respect.
    05-22-09 03:34 PM
    W
    Oddly enough e911 works even if the phone isn't active on a line. Not sure how the "sheriff" missed that.

05-22-09 03:42 PM
    LOL, thanks! I must have cut and paste the wrong thing.... TGIF!!!
    05-22-09 03:54 PM
    I think the original Story was just as interesting.. LOL
    05-22-09 04:00 PM
    When I first read your post I thought that using VZW and having your "manparts" bit off were somehow related. First time I considered switching to another carrier!
    05-22-09 04:33 PM
    The title doesn't fit because, even if that was the whole story, it is one rep & not a company decision.

With the rampant use of yellow jounalism, not to mention the lack of small-town newspaper resources, I question whether the article itself is true at all. I do this for several reasons.

1) All carriers have an emergency services group - these groups don't see bills & don't care about past-dues.

2) Law enforcement agencies have a single point of contact that can find info regardless of carrier.

3) Service may be shut off, but if the phone was on, it still interfaces with a local carrier. if you're in a service area & have a powered device, you can call 911 even if the phone is $10,000 & a year past-due. E911 still works, too. It does not need do be in service - it only needs to be turned on.

4) Why would someone be carrying a powered up phone that had service suspended or disconnected? I would suspect that the rep told them the phone was disconnected, was not on, therefore no signal to track.

5) Carriers don't typically disconnect service over $20. Might it have been a prepaid phone and $20 was the minimum to activate the thing?

Discernment, folks - that and realizing that just because a media outlet says something does not make it true or complete.

05-22-09 05:00 PM
    W

Oddly enough e911 works even if the phone isn't active on a line. Not sure how the "sheriff" missed that.

We can only get a Phase II location of a caller on 911 is when they call 911 from the handheld.

As for the op comments, I have never had an issue like this. I am not sure who that sheriff called, but we have a non public number we call, tell them what is going on and then they give us the information requested. We have to send Verizon a Subpenia (sp) after the fact, but I have never heard this of happening. I think what may have happened is the VZW rep, or the sheriff was not understanding what they wanted.
    05-22-09 05:47 PM
    5) Carriers don't typically disconnect service over $20. Might it have been a prepaid phone and $20 was the minimum to activate the thing?

Every carrier i've worked for will disconnect the service for $1 let alone $20...
    05-22-09 05:47 PM
    Every carrier i've worked for will disconnect the service for $1 let alone $20...
    Tell that to my ex-wife, who only pays her VZW bill every 90-120 days - after they suspend it for non-payment.

Once every three to four months, I call her & get the OOS intercept. That is music to my ears. Too bad it only lasts a day or so.

05-22-09 06:12 PM
    Tell that to my ex-wife, who only pays her VZW bill every 90-120 days - after they suspend it for non-payment.

Once every three to four months, I call her & get the OOS intercept. That is music to my ears. Too bad it only lasts a day or so.

Verizon must be getting rich from those $5 late and $15 reconnect fees.
    05-22-09 06:41 PM
    Verizon must be getting rich from those $5 late and $15 reconnect fees.
    You know it. If they didn't rip people off all the time, their stock would crash.

What I should tell them is I'd pay them at least that much to leave her service off!

05-22-09 07:04 PM
    You know it. If they didn't rip people off all the time, their stock would crash.

What I should tell them is I'd pay them at least that much to leave her service off!

Lol, sounds like a couple of ex gfriends Ive had.
    05-22-09 07:10 PM

Haha, nice And your previous post on the first page is most accurate. It almost sounds like the cop called into financial services when they should have contacted Verizon's law enforcement resource team... But, who knows who the police spoke with? The only reason I say financial services is because those people can be brutal. You also have to take into consideration that there are scammers out there that will say or do anything to have their service reconnected without having to pay... It's just the world we live in, time to get used to it, no matter how sad it is.
    05-22-09 07:19 PM
    Wow! I can't believe it, that's a bad thing to do Verizon!
    05-22-09 07:22 PM
    Lol, sounds like a couple of ex gfriends Ive had.
    No, he said "ex wife", not girlfriend. There's a big difference. You don't halve your net worth with an ex-gf, you just move out or help her move her stuff out. Then you remove her face from your My Faves like the Chuckster on the tmob ads. I have a feeling he's still somehow involved with her phone service too
    05-22-09 07:23 PM
    I have a feeling he's still somehow involved with her phone service too
    That would be an if it were true. I'd have to kill her for dinging my credit.

05-22-09 07:32 PM
    actually for those question that the thread's title doesnt fit you should read this part of the article

“I was more concerned for the person’s life,” Williams said. “It would have been nice if Verizon would have turned on his phone for five or 10 minutes, just long enough to try and find the guy. But they would only turn it on if we agreed to pay $20 of the unpaid bill. Ridiculous.”

this would be why...
    05-22-09 11:18 PM
    law enforcement fail....
    05-23-09 01:17 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD