Anyone with the 8830 have any idea how fast the email download/upload speed with a SIM card or CDMA is while you're out of the country? I would like to know how much slower it is than sitting in the states with 1XEV.

Thanks!
    02-24-08 06:02 PM
    I assume that on the few CDMA networks deployed outside the US, (mainly in Asia) the Blackbery 8830 will transmit data at the same speeds you experience in the US.

82% of worldwide wireless carriers now use GSM technology. There are presently over 2 billion GSM subscribers worldwide in 214 countries. The growth of GSM continues unabated with almost 400 million new customers in the last 12 months

The Blackbery 8830 using a SIM card and a GSM network will only connect on the 900 and 1800MHz bands, in addition the 8830 does not support the faster EDGE service. EDGE would have given you download speeds of about 100-115kbs, on a GSM based network your device will only be able to connect to GPRS networks providing about 40kbs.

Let's hope that future Blackbery models will soon run on faster GSM based HSDPA data networks networks that are now widely available in Europe, providing download speeds of anywhere from 2-3.6 Mbps - these networks are currently being upgraded to support HSUPA that will intially provide download speeds of about 7 Mbps, increasing later to 14Mbps download and over 5Mbps upload speeds.
    Last edited by Berryman; 02-25-08 at 02:57 PM.
    02-25-08 02:44 PM
    Berryman thanks for the response.

Is EDGE available around the world wherever AT&T subscribers have reception on GSM?
    02-25-08 08:21 PM
    The short answer is yes, if you can roam on the international carriers that AT&T have GSM roaming agrements with, if that GSM carrier has upgraded their network to offer EDGE, and your device can operate on an EDGE network, the EDGE network will be available to you.

The huge plus for carriers is that EDGE provides up to three times the data capacity of GPRS. Using EDGE, operators can handle three times more subscribers than GPRS; triple their data rate per subscriber, or add extra capacity to their voice communications. For many existing GSM/GPRS networks, EDGE is a simple software-upgrade.

Due to the very small incremental cost of including EDGE capability in GSM network deployment, virtually all new GSM infrastructure deployments are also EDGE capable. As of the middle of 2007, there were over 220 commercial EDGE networks in 113 countries.
    02-26-08 03:00 PM
    wow thanks for the great reply
    02-26-08 03:13 PM
    i dont see any difference when i go overseas and i have both types of phones. Me and my wife email each other like it a chat client since we get unlimited email and its instant.
    02-26-08 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD