I have a Verizon wireless family plan (3 phones) that I've been with for a year. I'd like to break my 2 year contract and I don't mind paying the early termination fee.

I'd just like to know how it's done before I get started. Do they just slap it on my next statement? Do they make me pay it all upfront? I'd rather pay the fees in moderate installments than pay a **** load at once 645.00 (175.00 x 3 + 120.00 for the actual plan.) at once.

The reason why I'm leaving is because my new job offers a massive discount for at&t and I'd figure I'd save in the long run.

Oh does anyone know about the $5.00 prorated every month deal for Verizon? I would save a lot if it was.

Thanks.
    12-30-09 07:46 PM
    You will have the variable ETF, so it will be lower then 175.
    You do not have to pay it all its all added the the bill, however you dont want to leave it past due to long or they might send it to an outside agency. Also, the phones may be hotlined until the account is current.
    12-30-09 07:51 PM
    You will have the variable ETF, so it will be lower then 175.
    You do not have to pay it all its all added the the bill, however you dont want to leave it past due to long or they might send it to an outside agency. Also, the phones may be hotlined until the account is current.
    So if I have the numbers ported to the new carrier they will charge still charge me the variable etf? Or do I have to discuss this with them in person? If this is the case then that would be good because I hate dealing with people when I try to cancel services.
    12-30-09 08:00 PM
    when i cancelled Verizon back in June, all I did was go to Sprint and port the numbers over...Verizon was automatically notified and on my next bill they charged the ETF. Mine was about $230 for both lines (they prorate). It's much simpler than I thought it would be....although, last month I switched back to Verizon because Sprint sucks around my house (Sprint waived the ETF due to lack of coverage).
    12-30-09 09:14 PM
    you port over but before you do this check the coverage area for AT&T first.
    put in all the zip codes you use your phone in. A discount is nice, but if you don't get the coverage with AT&T that you have with Verizon, where is the savings?
    think about it. AT&T is not good everywhere. Check the coverage first. Some stores will even let you use a phone to try out the service. I worked for an indirect Verizon and we let people try out a phone for a day to make sure it worked out well for them when they were in doubt.
    Be sure before you do it. A discount is great but only if the coverage will be good.
    12-30-09 11:19 PM
    Congrats on the new job.. those are hard to come by these days! You'll be billed the ETFs. What superdupermario said.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 11:28 PM
    Have you checked to see if Verizon Wireless offers your employer a discount? Verizon offers a lot of companies discounts of up to 30%. You can call Customer Service and ask them to check your company or visit theEmployment Discount Check on Verizon's website if you have an employee email from your company.
    01-01-10 02:37 PM
    its best to pay it as quick as possible
    01-01-10 03:49 PM
    How many months will it take your discount to exceed the etfs?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-10 04:53 PM
    I believe VZW gives you a $10 per month prorate on early termination. ETF is $350 for smart phones and $175 for other phones.
    01-02-10 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD