My last tethering question, I promise. How does Verizon keep the data separate when you tether and when you use your data on your BB itself? I use both features frequently and I don't want to hit the stupid 5 gb cap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Sensesfail99; 07-26-08 at 07:29 AM.
    07-26-08 06:18 AM
    Oops, I put days instead of data. Stupid SureType

07-26-08 06:19 AM
    In part, it is the way the device accesses the network. When you tether it a dialup type of connection. Via VZAccess connection software or manual connection in windows.
    07-26-08 07:58 AM
    There are two NAI in the radio config for the Blackberry. One is used for regular data and the other is for the #777 data connection for tethering. The connection type is the same, but the login info is different. This difference is what VZW uses to track it.
    07-26-08 12:33 PM
    Dont worry. They cannot tell. Unlimited BB feature is dominant over the tethering feature, so you can go over 5GB and you'll be good.
    07-26-08 04:22 PM
    If this is true, then why do I get calls about the overage charges.
    07-26-08 05:08 PM
    Dont worry. They cannot tell. Unlimited BB feature is dominant over the tethering feature, so you can go over 5GB and you'll be good.
    If you reach over 5gb of transfer, tethering or not tethering, they will know. This is a soft limit. If they want to terminate your service, they will.

Also VZW just updated their mobile broadband aircard package from unlimited to unlimited*. The asterisk is anything over 5gb is 25cents a mb or whatever. They may impose similar terms on other data plans. I would imagine this would be better for VZW since they would be charging you extra instead of tossing a customer out.
    07-29-08 01:55 PM
    What ever happened to the true unlimited? - :\
    07-30-08 09:50 AM
    What ever happened to the true unlimited? - :\
    No more. It gone.

Other countries have already been adopting the "pay as you go" model.
    07-30-08 10:07 AM
    Welcome to 1995

08-05-08 05:08 PM
    Under my account, it shows all my Usage as 1 combined total. But under details it shows Each time i used UNLIM Blackberry, and BBAC Data.

but i still have only used 120megs this month, and i use it almost every day (tethered) for regular email and web browsing. its not much data usage at all
    08-05-08 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD