I just purchased my first Blackberry a couple of weeks ago (and how did I ever live without it ?). In order to get a good price, I extended my contract for two years from this upcoming June.

My question is, if I want to upgrade my BB within the next two years before my contract is up (I have my eye on the Curve when Verizon finally gets it!), how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance!

~Sheri
    03-05-08 07:41 AM
    You'd have to pay full price. You won't get any discounts. If you really want a Curve, I'd return the 8830 and get put back on what you had beforen (if you're still within 30 days)... and wait it out.
    03-05-08 08:50 AM
    or buy one from a REPUTABLE dealer off this or another blackberry site, although the price for a VZW curve will be at a premium for a few months... new or slightly used.
    03-05-08 08:54 AM
    Thanks for the responses! So say I do buy one off this site - what do you do, bring it to Verizon to have them activate it? Is there a fee for that? Thanks in advance!

~Sheri
    03-05-08 09:20 AM
    Why don't you wait until you get to that bridge, before you cross it.

But yes, it is an easy process.
    03-05-08 09:32 AM
    If you have a VZW account online, you could potentially qualify for a partial discount at the 1-year mark. I qualified early for a NE2 because I had my online account.
    03-05-08 09:44 AM
    I'd return what you got before your 30 is up. The curve should be out in the next couple months and pick one up when it comes out. I couldn't see going back to a regular phone now, but i'd rather wait a month or 2 to get what you want for the long haul...
    You might want to hit an at&t up and compare a curve and pearl side by side.
    You get wifi and qwerty with a curve, but it's also a 1/2" wider than a pearl. If you don't need to tie into a home network, wifi isn't a big deal, I hear it's a little slower, and after a few days i'm loving the suretype.
    You can also check out retail on a curve and sell your 8130 on ebay to make up some of the difference.
    With a vzw online account you can do an esn swap no problem, takes all of 5 minutes to do it if you type slow or can't find your glasses to read the esn..
    Your 2 year contract also resets when you upgrade, so if you upgrade 3/1/08 your 2 years are up 3/1/10...not 2+ the rest of your original.
    Last edited by fonebrkr; 03-05-08 at 11:09 AM.
    03-05-08 11:05 AM
    Wow, thanks for all the information! I'll definitely take it all into consideration!
    03-05-08 11:14 AM
    You won't get WiFi on the VZW Curve. Their Curve will have cripped GPS instead (only VZNav).
    03-05-08 04:01 PM
    Most VZW stores will give you the phone @ the 1 yr price and extend your contract. I've gone through about 10 smartphones before finally ending up with the pearl and I've always gotten the 1 yr price.
    It's still pricey but it's better than paying full retail. I suppose each market is different but you can always ask.
    03-06-08 10:08 AM
    If you want to upgrade in the next two years, your best bet would be like others have said and buy from someone here or else ebay. I recommend Ebay just because you can see the reliability of sellers. I'll actually be selling my 8830 WE there in a couple of weeks.
    03-06-08 10:30 AM
    You can upgrade after 1 year with VZW if your on a price plan of $49.99+, you will get 2 year price, u just miss out on the extra ne2 credit
    03-07-08 08:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD