I just bought a brand new 8330 on eBay. How do I get insurance on it since I didn't buy it through my carrier (Verizon)?
    08-27-08 12:21 PM
    If it's activated on Verizon you can add the insurance to your monthly bill. Insurance is handled by an outside vendor, so it doesn't matter where you bought it, just that you own it, legally of course.
    08-27-08 12:24 PM
    Yea, but how do I prove that the phone is brand new and in full working condition? Otherwise, I could buy a broken BB and then pay the $50 deductible to get a new one.
    08-27-08 12:27 PM
    Verizon should be able to tell if your new phone has ever been activated before.
    08-27-08 01:24 PM
    you only have 15 days from the date of purchase at vzw to have the insurance added on.
    08-27-08 01:43 PM
    I don't think it even matters anymore with VZW. When I was with them, I bought a used 8830 off ebay. When I called to activate the phone they asked me if I wanted to get insurance on it, I said "sure, why not". 1 month after I bought the 8830 I dropped it and broke some of the buttons. I put in a claim and got a brand new one. Just call them and have it added. They have no idea where you bought the phone from.
    08-27-08 01:49 PM
    I have a BB pearl activated right now that is acting up. I called Verizon and they told me that the phone that was last upgraded through them was some phone from about a year and a half ago that I got with my newevery2 deal. The thing is, the phone that they show on my account, I returned before the 15 day trial period and got something else.

But what I am trying to get at, is that I have a Pearl activated on my account right now and they said that it isn't insured. So scorpidsu, I don't know what makes your siyuation different than mine..???
    08-27-08 06:10 PM
    I have a BB pearl activated right now that is acting up. I called Verizon and they told me that the phone that was last upgraded through them was some phone from about a year and a half ago that I got with my newevery2 deal. The thing is, the phone that they show on my account, I returned before the 15 day trial period and got something else.

But what I am trying to get at, is that I have a Pearl activated on my account right now and they said that it isn't insured. So scorpidsu, I don't know what makes your siyuation different than mine..???
    Well i'm not sure exactly what you mean. All I know is I had a Treo 700 and then I went on ebay and bought a used 8830. When activated, I added insurance even though it was used from someone else. It broke, I filed a claim and they gave me a brand new one. I suggest you just call and say you want to add insurance and see what they say. To me, it doesn't even sounds like you tried to call them and see if you can add insurance. Also, check and see if you can add insurance online as one of the features. If not, just play dumb when you call them and say, "I thought I had insurance on this phone, and I went on my account and I didn't see it...."
    08-27-08 06:58 PM
    To me, it doesn't even sounds like you tried to call them and see if you can add insurance. Also, check and see if you can add insurance online as one of the features. If not, just play dumb when you call them and say, "I thought I had insurance on this phone, and I went on my account and I didn't see it...."
    I DID call them. I DO already have insurance on my account, and have for the past 3 years. The camera on my Pearl does not work and I called Verizon about it to make a claim. The CS rep on the phone said that my insurance will not carry over to the Pearl that I have activated. He said its because anyone could just buy a broken phone, activate it on their account, then make a claim to get a brand new one.
    08-27-08 07:35 PM
    try SquareTrade | Great Warranty Deals on Laptops, TVs, iPods & More

I have used them to insure items I have bought from eBay.
    08-27-08 07:38 PM
    I was under the impression that your insurance carried over to whatever phone you had activated on you account. But the rep told me that wasn't the case, for the reason I mentioned above. I am going to call them and I see what the deal is.

BTW Scorpio, I wasn't saying that I don't believe you. Questioning why you could and I can't. How long ago did you get the 8830 through insurance?
    08-27-08 07:53 PM
    I just called Verizon, again. Once again, they told me that the only way to insure a phone through them is to buy it through them. So my insurance only covers my last phone that I upgraded to, through Verizon. So basically, I have been paying $5 a month for nothing since I sold that phone a long time ago.
    08-27-08 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD