When I tried to upgrade to VZ Nav 4.1 on my Curve it didn't upgrade. The update says that I currently have the latest version 2.9. Is this upgrade available for the 8330 yet. I think that there are more options with VZ Nav 4 being that it is the only GPS Software that Verizon will allow me to use:-(
    06-29-08 11:38 AM
    No VZ Nav isnt availible yet on any of the blackberry devices, just on a few select vcast capable phones. they are working making it work, just not yet.
    06-29-08 12:25 PM
    no no no! i have vz navigator on my 8830 (6 months). it is version 2.9.9 Build 40 what ever that means.
    06-29-08 01:30 PM
    there is no version 4 for BB devices. You have the current version........

v 4 is for the other phones
    06-29-08 02:15 PM
    Verizon will upgrade to the newer version at some point. I discontinued vznav because it is inferior to telenav in all ways except the obvious gps issue.
    06-29-08 08:21 PM
    Yea I have the pearl & downloaded the nav & when I try to find a location it searches then says dial *611 service authorization error you are not provisioned to use the nav

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 11:54 AM
    Yea I have the pearl & downloaded the nav & when I try to find a location it searches then says dial *611 service authorization error you are not provisioned to use the nav

Helps if you actually subscribe to the service. It's not free.
    06-30-08 12:24 PM
    Yea I think it is $10 a month.

06-30-08 03:24 PM
    VZ Nav is available on the BB Curve by Verizon, although it sucks and not worth the $9.95 a month. It's better to buy at $100 TomTom or Garmin or wait a little longer and spend more. I've tried it. I canceled it the first time I tried it.
    06-30-08 09:17 PM
    Just being a noob and asking questions...

So, we know that VZ Navigator isn't upgradable to the 4.1 version that's now available on other Verizon phones, but does anyone have any insight to why this is... is it Verizon or RIM that controls something like that?

CC
    07-17-08 12:46 PM
    Blackberrys do not run "Get it Now" which is an operating system ONLY on the phones within Verizon (Actually the operating system is BREW, but "Get it Now" is where you actually go in to download applications).......

Since Blackberrys do NOT run BREW, and they run an ENTIRELY different operating system (BLACKBERRY OS) they are provisioned differently then the phones that Verizon has. Therefore when they rolled out VZ NAv 4.0 for the PHONES, it was in turn NOT available for the Blackberrys as of yet.

Blackberrys still run v2.9.9.

I have a blackberry and an old enV.

I have used the new v4.0 vz nav on the enV.

Let me tell you, it is WORTH the wait for the blackberry to get it.

Here are some of the new upgrades:

-The ability find the cheapest gas closest to you based on your gps location

-3D view (VERY useful)

-VOICED turn by turn directions (so you do not have to look down at the phone)

-it will tell you of any traffic congestion ahead of you and then you have the ability to reroute your path if you want to.

-it shows you the distance to your next turn, which I find VERY useful.

Those are just SOME of the new upgrades. I used this when I visited my boyfriend in Denver and he has a TomTom.... not only did the VZ Nav voice the directions WAY before the Tom Tom did (which was helpful so you weren't slamming on your brakes to suddenly turn) but it was also MUCH MUCH MUCH more accurate.

With TomTom's and Garmins you have to plug it in to your home computer like once a month so that the maps can be updated with the latestest additions and changes to roads.

The benefit of VZ Nav is that since you're linked to the system ALL the time the maps are ALWAYS up to date!

I LOVE VZ Nav and it is SOOOO worth the $10 a month because it's not just a gps device, it's a 411 device, a yellow book device and it tells you of congestion and weather hazards ahead..... can your tomtom and garmin do that????
    07-17-08 01:58 PM
    As above, the latest version(4.1) of VZ Navigator is exceptionally better than the 2.9 version, that's why I'm so looking forward to a Curve 8330 update from Verizon.

CC
    07-17-08 02:51 PM
    Any ideas when the update might be available for BB?
    07-17-08 05:04 PM
    Any ideas when the update might be available for BB?
    i just upgraded from an EnV to a BB and i downgraded the vz nav! lol. the updated nav is so much better!

i hope i can get it on the curve soon!
    07-25-08 03:18 PM
    Blackberrys do not run "Get it Now" which is an operating system ONLY on the phones within Verizon (Actually the operating system is BREW, but "Get it Now" is where you actually go in to download applications).......

Since Blackberrys do NOT run BREW, and they run an ENTIRELY different operating system (BLACKBERRY OS) they are provisioned differently then the phones that Verizon has. Therefore when they rolled out VZ NAv 4.0 for the PHONES, it was in turn NOT available for the Blackberrys as of yet.

Blackberrys still run v2.9.9.

I have a blackberry and an old enV.

I have used the new v4.0 vz nav on the enV.

Let me tell you, it is WORTH the wait for the blackberry to get it.

Here are some of the new upgrades:

-The ability find the cheapest gas closest to you based on your gps location

-3D view (VERY useful)

-VOICED turn by turn directions (so you do not have to look down at the phone)

-it will tell you of any traffic congestion ahead of you and then you have the ability to reroute your path if you want to.

-it shows you the distance to your next turn, which I find VERY useful.

Those are just SOME of the new upgrades. I used this when I visited my boyfriend in Denver and he has a TomTom.... not only did the VZ Nav voice the directions WAY before the Tom Tom did (which was helpful so you weren't slamming on your brakes to suddenly turn) but it was also MUCH MUCH MUCH more accurate.

With TomTom's and Garmins you have to plug it in to your home computer like once a month so that the maps can be updated with the latestest additions and changes to roads.

The benefit of VZ Nav is that since you're linked to the system ALL the time the maps are ALWAYS up to date!

I LOVE VZ Nav and it is SOOOO worth the $10 a month because it's not just a gps device, it's a 411 device, a yellow book device and it tells you of congestion and weather hazards ahead..... can your tomtom and garmin do that????
    I had the Voyager and upgraded to the new VZ Nav before I bought my Curve and had the infamous downgrade. I thought I'd mention that the turn-by-turn is on the old and new version. I have the old version on my curve and it works. Maybe you just don't have it turned on. It's also the same on the new version on my Voyager. The distance to next turn is the same in both versions, just a better display. It's still listed in both. The congestion feature was nice but limited, it really only reports major areas, it doesn't recognize rural congestion (at least from my experience with it).
    07-25-08 05:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD