me and my wife are on a family plan with my parents and we want to get our own account. i spoke to cs last week and told them what we were planning to do and get blackberries and they said it would be no problem. fastforward to friday. i go to a corporate store and they said that my upgrade was not available. they said that my moms is available and that i could use hers. i would just have to wait 24 hours to switch. is this true. how hard is it? thank you so much for your time.
    03-16-09 02:24 PM
    24 hours? No. It's as simple as doing a normal upgrade. There is an alternate upgrade dropdown and the rep has to pick your number. That's it.
    03-16-09 02:33 PM
    what all does that entail?
    03-16-09 02:39 PM
    Simple as walking into a store and doing it. There is no waiting period. Depending if your an authorized user or not you may want to bring your mom in.
    03-16-09 02:56 PM
    for this alternate upgrade, its takes away the upgrade from the other line and gives it to you?

i just didnt understand how i was willing to spend $300 for a couple of blackberries and give them an extra $200 a month and they wouldnt work with me. just baffles me.
    03-16-09 03:04 PM
    So you want to take 2 numbers off one family share, create another family share with your 2 lines correct?

If that is the case, You can do that, but I think if you keep the same numbers your contract dates move with you, thus your upgrades do as well and you may not be able to upgrade yet.

Depending on when you last upgraded, you may be able to pay the ETF and start fresh with 2 new numbers and as new customers.

Just a thought.
    03-16-09 03:58 PM
    for this alternate upgrade, its takes away the upgrade from the other line and gives it to you?

i just didnt understand how i was willing to spend $300 for a couple of blackberries and give them an extra $200 a month and they wouldnt work with me. just baffles me.
    Because the blackberrys cost 350-550 retail and they are not gaining a contract renewal or new customer so they would lose $$. Yes your bill would eventually make up for it. Believe me if it weren't for the FCC(family guy episode comes to mind,lol) carriers would love to sell you new phones anytime and just extended your contract. The FCC won't allow it.
    03-16-09 06:28 PM
    Have your mom or dad .. whoever is the primary on the account .. call in (#611) and legally release your numbers from their plan. That will save them from coming to the store with you.

They will run a credit app in you or your wife's name and move the numbers to an acct for you right then and there. They will need your driver's license.

Waiting? nope .. no way. It takes 10 min or so... 15 if the rep is slow.
    03-17-09 02:02 AM
    It's slightly complicated in your situation. As you want to remove the numbers from one account and create another yet upgrade at the same time. If a line is not eligible for an upgrade, you will be paying full retail for the phone. If your mother is willing to let you use her upgrade, then do the alternate upgrade then have the numbers added onto their own account. This should be be able to be done in the same day within minutes.

If your not eligible for upgrades on either line and your mother won't authorize you to use her's, you may want to consider taking on new numbers. (However you would either have to ride out the contract on the current lines, or pay an early termination fee if the lines are in contract. I am assuming they are seeing as they are not eligible for upgrade.) It really depend's on how much you want those blackberries.
    03-17-09 04:13 AM
    It's slightly complicated in your situation. As you want to remove the numbers from one account and create another yet upgrade at the same time. If a line is not eligible for an upgrade, you will be paying full retail for the phone. If your mother is willing to let you use her upgrade, then do the alternate upgrade then have the numbers added onto their own account. This should be be able to be done in the same day within minutes.

If your not eligible for upgrades on either line and your mother won't authorize you to use her's, you may want to consider taking on new numbers. (However you would either have to ride out the contract on the current lines, or pay an early termination fee if the lines are in contract. I am assuming they are seeing as they are not eligible for upgrade.) It really depend's on how much you want those blackberries.
    Yep. Do the upgrade before the AOL.
    03-17-09 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD