11-02-13 04:51 PM
50 12
tools
    I've had the global unlimited data plan since I got my 8830 long ago. I had my company purchase the z10 outright with the understanding that I would be able to keep the unlimited data plan. When we received it, it didn't come with a sim card. I had to go to the local Verizon store to pick one up. When I tried to get it, they said the system was kicking me out of the unlimited data plan. They confirmed that they thought that I should be able to keep the unlimited data, but they couldn't figure out how to make it work. They told me that my company would have to contact Verizon directly and have them send the sim card. When they did, they got the same story that my plan was too old to grandfather and there was nothing they could do. They could grandfather me into a 3g phone but not a 4g one. My company gave up the fight so I lost the unlimited data. I wanted to see if anyone else had a tip so I could maybe push back one more time. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 06:03 PM
    I've had the global unlimited data plan since I got my 8830 long ago. I had my company purchase the z10 outright with the understanding that I would be able to keep the unlimited data plan. When we received it, it didn't come with a sim card. I had to go to the local Verizon store to pick one up. When I tried to get it, they said the system was kicking me out of the unlimited data plan. They confirmed that they thought that I should be able to keep the unlimited data, but they couldn't figure out how to make it work. They told me that my company would have to contact Verizon directly and have them send the sim card. When they did, they got the same story that my plan was too old to grandfather and there was nothing they could do. They could grandfather me into a 3g phone but not a 4g one. My company gave up the fight so I lost the unlimited data. I wanted to see if anyone else had a tip so I could maybe push back one more time. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I heard Verizon was doing that to their customers who were grandfathered, sorry to hear that tho.
    I'm with AT&T and grandfathered it's safe to say in my situation, as long as I don't add a data feature or turn on tethering, they won't take it away. Tho, after 3gb they throttle your speeds
    05-23-13 06:10 PM
    I had my unlimited since 06' and I purchased the Z10 full retail to keep my unlimited data. And this is my first 4g device. Purchased phone on March 28

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 06:43 PM
    Did you have to do anything special? Do you know the name of the unlimited plan you are on so I can tell Verizon what worked before?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 07:26 PM
    I think the OP means the $69.99 *Global* unlimited data plan that Verizon used to offer. Those were the good ole' days. I watched half the last World Cup on my Storm streaming through Orb while traveling in Canada, Barbados and El Salvador... racked up almost a Gb... all for $69.99.

Probably why they stopped it. :/

I had my unlimited since 06' and I purchased the Z10 full retail to keep my unlimited data. And this is my first 4g device. Purchased phone on March 28

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 07:47 PM
    Somehow I kept unlimited data on my line (main line) but my fiance's line got kicked down to 2 GB. Several users are reporting similar experiences.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    05-23-13 08:40 PM
    I kept my grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T when I upgraded to the Z110 - didn't have a problem.
    05-23-13 08:56 PM
    Again, I'm pretty sure the OP is not talking about regular unlimited data, but is instead referring to the (awesome)GLOBAL unlimited plan/feature VZW used to offer :

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...bal-travelers/

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 10:08 PM
    Yep...global unlimited was what I had. I don't need the global piece any more as I'm not traveling now like I was then....but they wouldn't even switch me to a domestic unlimited plan.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 02:08 AM
    From my experience with all carriers and their personnel is that it all depends on who you talk to and how helpful they want to be. I have dealt with reps that will do anything to help while others couldn't care less. I had a friend on T-Mo and he had to call numerous times to get to someone who would help him a few years back when they were trying to force a plan change on him with his new phone. My suggestion would just to keep trying because you might actually get to someone who is willing to go that extra step that gets you to where you need to be to keep your plan.
    05-24-13 06:54 AM
    I bought my Z10 outright and still have my unlimited data.
    05-26-13 09:56 AM
    I'm with Verizon and have had unlimited data for several years now. My upgrade is just became available so made a call to VZW sales and was told the same thing ; if I upgrade with a new phone through them I will loose my unlimited data. The only way to avoid it would be to buy outright or to convince a family member to use their upgrade to get me a Z or Q and we switch phones. That will never happen, as they are all set on getting new BBs as well. Any other ideas?

The kicker is that I wouldn't have an issue with losing my unlimited with a new BB10 phone if it was through BIS due to the BIS compression. I would stay well within my data limits with a family plan, but no way without it.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-27-13 at 02:34 PM.
    05-27-13 01:07 PM
    I've had unlimited data for the past 4 years and when the z10 came out they would not sell me it retail so I went on Wirefly.com and bought it for retail through them to keep my unlimited.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 05:21 PM
    I'm with Verizon and have had unlimited data for several years now. My upgrade is just became available so made a call to VZW sales and was told the same thing ; if I upgrade with a new phone through them I will loose my unlimited data. The only way to avoid it would be to buy outright or to convince a family member to use their upgrade to get me a Z or Q and we switch phones. That will never happen, as they are all set on getting new BBs as well. Any other ideas?

The kicker is that I wouldn't have an issue with losing my unlimited with a new BB10 phone if it was through BIS due to the BIS compression. I would stay well within my data limits with a family plan, but no way without it.
    Had the same situation and just took the plunge and got the Z10 on our two lines. Much to my surprise, my line (the main line) still has unlimited data. The secondary line was switched to the 2 GB data plan but my fiance doesn't really use it much anyway.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 09:01 PM
    Was this unlimited data (email + internet) only or did it include mobile broadband (hotspot & tethering)?
    05-30-13 10:42 PM
    TMOBILE.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    05-30-13 10:43 PM
    Is there a way to do this online or it has to be in store? For example, I'm about to upgrade to the Q-10, could I have someone else on my family plan upgrade and get that phone, then when it ships, set up the phone on my line?
    05-31-13 08:59 AM
    Was this unlimited data (email + internet) only or did it include mobile broadband (hotspot & tethering)?
    If you're asking me, Verizon's Share Everything plans have mobile hotspot included, though for some reason I don't have the feature on my phone and I don't want to stir the pot and lose my unlimited data. If I find myself needing hotspot in the future, maybe I'll inquire into it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 00stryder; 05-31-13 at 10:49 AM.
    05-31-13 10:32 AM
    I am also looking to upgrade to the Q10, but don't want to lose my unlimited data plan. My phone is eligible for upgrade now, but can I transfer upgrade to my husbands phone, then buy Q10 at discount, then transfer phone to my plan, to keep my unlimited??

sent from my Verizon Note2...
    05-31-13 01:42 PM
    I am also looking to upgrade to the Q10, but don't want to lose my unlimited data plan. My phone is eligible for upgrade now, but can I transfer upgrade to my husbands phone, then buy Q10 at discount, then transfer phone to my plan, to keep my unlimited??

This is what I'm wondering as well
    05-31-13 02:17 PM
    Switched to T-Mobile

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.2354)
    spvsarah likes this.
    05-31-13 02:21 PM

This is what I'm wondering as well
    Hello both,

Yes this is exactly how to pay the discounted price and keep the data. Just make sure that the current phone you have either uses a micro sim or get another one from Verizon because the card that comes with the phone will be activated on the upgrade line, and will be tied to the line even after you deactivate it from the account. Once you try to activate the sim card that comes with the phone on your line it won't work and is essentially burned out. I've tried activating the sim/phone online and it wouldn't work, and I asked my rep why wasn't it working, and he told me the reason was the above. Good luck.
    06-01-13 10:20 AM
    Hello both,

Yes this is exactly how to pay the discounted price and keep the data. Just make sure that the current phone you have either uses a micro sim or get another one from Verizon because the card that comes with the phone will be activated on the upgrade line, and will be tied to the line even after you deactivate it from the account. Once you try to activate the sim card that comes with the phone on your line it won't work and is essentially burned out. I've tried activating the sim/phone online and it wouldn't work, and I asked my rep why wasn't it working, and he told me the reason was the above. Good luck.
    Thanks for the update, but what SIM card are you referring to? I've never used one with Verizon. I believe I've usually received one with my Blackberry, but never even kept it in the phone.
    06-01-13 10:22 AM
    Since this a 4G phone it uses a micro-sim card to work with LTE, pretty much like any GSM phone. So you would need an extra one other than which comes with the phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 10:46 AM
    I transferred upgrade to husbands iphone line, and I ordered a sim card with q10, even though the phone is iphone, and doesnt have sim card slot. So what do I do?

I want to transfer new phone to my unlimited data line, which currently has sim card.

06-01-13 11:05 AM
50 12