My daughter re-activated her old w755 phone last month and now we have the additional $9.99 charge for the mandatory data plan. They don't even make this phone anymore!

I am already peeved about the fact that we are up for renewal with 5 lines - and now have to deal with this mandatory charge. I truly cannot believe they added it to this old obsolete phone.

I am thisclose to moving all 5 lines to Sprint but their service stinks around here and we get a 20% discount through Verizon.

Isn't that mandatory data plan only for current phones?
    07-10-10 09:22 AM
    I'm not familiar with the w755...is it a "smart phone" or even data feature phone? I didn't think it was(?).

Was it activated on a line that was previously using a data-enabled device?

I'm not sure, but I'd call CS and ask them personally. Doesn't seem right to me.

Isn't that mandatory data plan only for current phones?
    I don't believe that is the case -- the mandatory data plan is necessary for any "smart phone" (or data-enabled device) activated on a new plan. I believe if you had an older device on a different plan, you may not have been required to pay certain charges, but I don't think that applies since you re-activated the phone, so you are subject to plan changes necessary for that device (even if they don't sell it anymore). Having said that, however, I just don't see how the w755 is a phone that should require the additional charge regardless...maybe I'm wrong -- like I said, I'm not that familiar with it.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 07-10-10 at 09:40 AM.
    07-10-10 09:35 AM
    You might be able to get away with not having the plan, since it's a flip phone, not really a 3g multimedia phone, but you'll have to argue with the CSR's until you can convince one of them of that. I think since the phone is 2 years old and its not a new phone, you might be able to. It was released around the same time as the LG EnV2 and that does not require one of the mandatory data plans. (the env3, even though it was released AFTER the mandatory data plans went into effect, does require one)
    07-10-10 11:48 AM
    I can say with almost 100% certainty that the W755 doesn't require the data package. Might have just been a simple mistake. Just call in to CS and have them remove the data package or add a data block. Should take care of it
    07-12-10 10:27 PM
    It does not since it's not on the 3G multimedia list. Call CS and have them remove it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 11:44 PM
    Yep...it was a mistake. Called customer service and they promptly removed it. Thank you for your prompt replies.
    07-13-10 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD