I have verizon and have 2 lines (blackberries) with 1400 mins and unlim text. I've been reading about google voice for awhile now and was curious how, if at all, I could utilize it to cut my cell bill down each month. Is there any advantage?

I was thinking about getting a data only plan for me and my GF and having google voice route calls and txts to my blackberry. Any catch? If I'm on a data plan, what about txts and minutes?

Any insight would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 12:48 PM
    I'm confused - do you and your wife both have blackberries? If so then Verizon requires you both to have a data plan, and GV is not going to help you.
    09-24-09 12:52 PM
    Yes, I have the tour. She has the curve. If we do the data plan ONLY option it 49.99 monthly for each of us. Someone told me you could then use GV to route your calls to your cell number and be good to go. I'm just looking for any truth or insight to see if this could or would help.

09-24-09 12:56 PM
    You'll get caught. Its considered theft of service and is a violation of your contract, I believe.

09-24-09 01:21 PM
    This is really iffy, there really are only two things you can do with Google voice from a verizon phone that would affectively lower your bill. first ditch your texting plan. have all your sms's come thru your GV number, and make sure you set up your GV to not forward texts to your phone. instead have them forwarded as emails or use the app, which doesn't use blackberry's push technology. Second you'll need to have your GV number and the forwarding number Google will use, in your Friend's and family five numbers. Your number is easy to put in the five friends list, the forwarding number, on the other hand can be a pain, because I've already seen it change three times. Which means you have to stay on it and update your list of five numbers on the VZW site. Now the big problem here is that as a VZW customer you are required to have a certain number of minutes in order to use the friends and family option. I have 900 for example. Because of the setup with Google voice I rarely use more then ten or fifteen minutes. I have everyone call my GV number so it looks like everyone is one of my friends and family and everyone who doesn't call my GV# has VZW so they are free anyway. Things to remember here are that MMS will not work with GV right now, second you need to watch your GV forwarding number. The biggest savings you might see with this is if you make a lot of international calls with the berry, as long as you remember to utilize the app to make those calls you'll be paying Google for the long distance rather than VZW. I'm sorry this was so long, hope it helps you understand GV a little better.
    09-24-09 01:26 PM
    Sounds sketch to me...
    09-24-09 01:45 PM
    This is soooo wrong. Reminds me of tetherberry... you'll end up with usage charges for sure down the line.
    09-24-09 01:47 PM
    GV is not designed for this. Think Skype with some extra features.

While you could do it with some smartphones, it isn't possible using a BlackBerry browser. Calls have to come in via phone, not data.

And there are no 5 free numbers on the data/email plan.
    09-24-09 02:02 PM
    GV is really just an organizational tool rather than a money saver.
    09-24-09 02:13 PM
    I have verizon and have 2 lines (blackberries) with 1400 mins and unlim text. I've been reading about google voice for awhile now and was curious how, if at all, I could utilize it to cut my cell bill down each month. Is there any advantage?

I was thinking about getting a data only plan for me and my GF and having google voice route calls and txts to my blackberry. Any catch? If I'm on a data plan, what about txts and minutes?

Any insight would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

People like you who try to cheat the system make our bills go up.
    09-24-09 02:17 PM
    And let the flaming begin!
    09-24-09 03:08 PM
    Yes, I have the tour. She has the curve. If we do the data plan ONLY option it 49.99 monthly for each of us. Someone told me you could then use GV to route your calls to your cell number and be good to go. I'm just looking for any truth or insight to see if this could or would help.

Change to the 29.99 plan, instead of the 49.99 plan......
    09-24-09 03:20 PM
    The 49.99 is a data only plan. Thanks for your 2 pennies that are really worth.... 0 Pennies.
    09-24-09 03:29 PM
    Wouldn't that $50 plan cause like per min $.45 usage... That would be facinating to see... Like I said tetherberry all over again. People trying to get something for nothing...

09-24-09 04:51 PM
    Wouldn't that $50 plan cause like per min $.45 usage... That would be facinating to see... Like I said tetherberry all over again. People trying to get something for nothing...

Difference is that it can't be done on BB. Proxy server, slower connection, no flash support and limited scripting support make it a no go. You don't race bassett hounds, you race greyhounds. You don't get BB if you're serious about internet and voip, you buy a phone with some real capabilities.

Damn people always thinking these stoneage BBs are advanced.
    09-24-09 09:54 PM
    Difference is that it can't be done on BB. Proxy server, slower connection, no flash support and limited scripting support make it a no go. You don't race bassett hounds, you race greyhounds. You don't get BB if you're serious about internet and voip, you buy a phone with some real capabilities.

If you're serious about voip and internet get a Samsung ultramobile PC.
    09-24-09 10:13 PM
    If BlackBerrys had been around in the Stone Age, the human population would be extinct by now.

Of course, that would only be if Charles Darwin was correct.

09-24-09 10:57 PM
    HUh??? GV stil needs to use voice minutes. It is not a VOIP service.

09-26-09 12:00 AM
    HUh??? GV stil needs to use voice minutes. It is not a VOIP service.
    It has some voip features. They just aren't accessible on a BB.
    09-27-09 04:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD