02-01-10 09:44 AM
27 12
tools
    Given the number of threads regarding VZW/MSFT's arrangement to default browser search to Bing, as an exclusive, I wanted to make sure that all VZW users are aware of how to work around this, if you so choose, or find Bing so offensive.

There are two options that come to mind. The first is to open the native browser ->Options, set m.google.com as your home page. Thereafter when you launch the native browser you'll be directed to Google, where you can search without interaction with Bing.

The second option has the same effect but is a little more subtle: open the native browser. Browse to m.google.com. Hit the BB Button, Add Bookmark, name it. Thereafter once you launch your browser you can simply BB Button, select the Google bookmark, and you're off and running.

Hopefully this clarifies the options that exist if you are disinclined to use Bing as your search engine.
    12-25-09 04:58 PM
    Are you saying that it's just THAT simple? No way.

Oh and don't forget the Google app. open and type. Ba-da-Bing (pun intended)
    12-25-09 05:08 PM
    crazy bing google is far superior
    12-25-09 05:19 PM
    Are you saying that it's just THAT simple? No way.

Oh and don't forget the Google app. open and type. Ba-da-Bing (pun intended)
    Shocking, isn't it?!? We actually have options we can take advantage of.. wowza!
    12-25-09 05:52 PM
    VZW......man they are just screwing up more and more.....ballsy.....but its gonna ultimately be the lynch pin in their loss of their #1 spot

but hey......thanks for bolstering my argument that VZW does as it pleases.....ATT doesn't shove garbage to MY phone

yay!!
    12-25-09 11:11 PM
    I like ur dog testing.
    12-26-09 04:49 AM
    I had already done that... I wondered why I hadnt had issues besides the pesky bing icon that I had to hide.
    12-26-09 08:38 AM
    There's a TON of options with Searchit

Google
    Bing
    Yahoo
    AP News
    Google News
    Wikipedia
    Dictionary
    Thesaurus
    AllRecipes
    imdb
    Youtube
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Amazon
    eBay
    NewEgg
    flickr
    GoogleImages
    CBForums
    BBForums
    BerryReview

SearchIt - Personal Productivity BlackBerry
    Apps

can't post links yet--sorry

But maybe a kindly mod can assist....

SearchIt - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

-pk
    Last edited by pkcable; 01-13-10 at 09:36 AM. Reason: adding CB Store link
    01-12-10 11:49 PM
    Strange, I still have the 4 original search engine options. I got the bing app icon but it never replaced my default services.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 01:02 AM
    Strange, I still have the 4 original search engine options. I got the bing app icon but it never replaced my default services.

Well it's been stated MANY times that the push for Bing only is for tthe Curve 2 and Storm 2. That is why. The other devices will get it later, or maybe not. Maybe all the petitions and cries for change here, have made a difference...
    01-13-10 08:48 AM
    Lets make this one the sticky.
    01-13-10 09:38 AM
    VZW......man they are just screwing up more and more.....ballsy.....but its gonna ultimately be the lynch pin in their loss of their #1 spot

but hey......thanks for bolstering my argument that VZW does as it pleases.....ATT doesn't shove garbage to MY phone

yay!!
    &ATT doesn't give you the best service just about anywhere either! YAY for VZW!!!!

go play with your barely blue map of nothing!
    01-13-10 12:43 PM
    &ATT doesn't give you the best service just about anywhere either! YAY for VZW!!!!

go play with your barely blue map of nothing!
    Larry can't hear you. Anyways I'm sure ATT has their own share of pushed service books.
    01-13-10 01:31 PM
    Larry can't hear you. Anyways I'm sure ATT has their own share of pushed service books.
    He can't hear us? Why's that? Did he get what he wanted?
    01-13-10 02:18 PM
    Scroll up and look closely at this last post.
    01-13-10 03:23 PM
    I'm still the weirdo who uses 'em all...

Bing, google, doesn't matter to me.

I mean, sheesh, not like I have to pay more to get more results. I just navigate to the next one.
    01-13-10 07:29 PM
    He can't hear us? Why's that? Did he get what he wanted?
    Scroll up and look closely at this last post.
    ...."if they can fiqure out how" they do claim to work for vzw you know , LoL (pun intended) hahahahaha,
    01-20-10 06:29 AM
    So you thought it was just VZW going to BING? Look who might be next in line.

Apple?
    01-20-10 04:47 PM
    Just to let you know AT&Trash pushes plenty of crap on their phones. I have so many hidden icons from their pushing things I will never use or even want.

01-21-10 08:16 AM
    Just to let you know AT&Trash pushes plenty of crap on their phones. I have so many hidden icons from their pushing things I will never use or even want.

Then why are you with AT&Trash? come to the red side! VZW isn't bad at all...well besides them pushing bing....big effin' deal!
    01-22-10 08:04 AM
    I am trying to change, my wife who takes care of this has a plan through the city and union for 3 phones. Unlimited everything for $158.00. Then the extra money for my BIS plus taxes. So for about $200.00 or a little more we have stayed with first Cingular then ATT.
    But I want to get a Droid and my son who has the big red runs circles around me with his Storm.

01-22-10 10:13 AM
    Now why would verizon limit us to bing being the only search provider??? Where did consumers choice go?
    01-22-10 10:17 AM
    Now why would verizon limit us to bing being the only search provider??? Where did consumers choice go?
    There's a different thread for the people whining about Bing. This isn't it.
    01-22-10 10:48 PM
    There's a different thread for the people whining about Bing. This isn't it.
    1.To question a practice of something you don't like is not whining.
    2.Its a chat forum. If you don't like what he has to say,don't respond.
    3.Stop trying to mod each thread you go into over and over.....because you not one.
    For someone who already stated he's tired of hearing about bing, you sure find a way to troll each bing thread.
    Last edited by Jascias; 02-01-10 at 06:37 AM.
    02-01-10 05:49 AM
    Ummm ok whatever you say.
    02-01-10 09:32 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD