Anyone have a Tour get hot?

I know I haven't. Until tonight.

Sitting on my desk, with a dozen other phones, it laid there dormant, with power on.

Smelled the distinct odor of an electrical problem. Checked the phones that were on chargers - all okay. Checked the computer. No issues there. Laptops, check. Next to the last thing I picked up was the Tour. It was red-hot - the plastic on the back warped & partially stuck to the glass mat.

Don't know how far it would have gone, but had it been on a combustible surface, I might have had a serious problem.

A lesson - never leave a rechargeable device in a pocket or on a bed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 01:09 AM
    Your note implies the Tour was not on a charger. Is that correct? Lying on glass sounds about as benign an environment as you can get. Given that, was there anything that could have shorted the external power contacts? Could you see any reason for the failure?
    09-20-09 07:45 AM
    That doesn't sound right. My old 8300 used to get warm spontaneiously. I used to have to do a battery pull. When using the 8300 plugged into a car charger and using a navigation program it also got very warm. Tour does the same thing, but warped plastic?

BTW I had the trusty 8300 for 3 years without exchanging it. (except after I bought it, it died)
    09-20-09 08:24 AM
    I hate the smell of hot electronics.. it scares me.
    I remember when I got my first laptop and it started making those smells and my dad and I wondered the den sniffing like bloodhounds for the source!
    09-20-09 08:54 AM
    My Tour got pretty warm once, not nearly as warm as what you described though. I don't charge it on a pillow anymore.

09-20-09 09:46 AM
    I'm wanting the Tour less and less...
    When's the Storm2 coming out?
    09-20-09 10:21 AM
    I'm wanting the Tour less and less...
    When's the Storm2 coming out?
    Overheating iPhone reports 'exploding' all over France, Apple responds

Just a reminder that all battery operated devices can be prone to hot or exploding behavior.
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-20-09 at 12:07 PM.
    09-20-09 10:35 AM
    yeah thats something I want to hold to my face... LMAO
    09-20-09 10:36 AM
    Your note implies the Tour was not on a charger. Is that correct? Lying on glass sounds about as benign an environment as you can get. Given that, was there anything that could have shorted the external power contacts? Could you see any reason for the failure?
    That is correct - no charging taking place. My desk is antique & very large (9ft wide + return). As my great-grandfather had, I continue to have a glass top on it.

No moisture, nothing touching, nothing connected. It was used once since coming off the charger earlier in the day & was turned on.

The battery is what failed, that I know. I am going to let my techs take a look at it to see if there is enough left to determine a cause. It could have been all in the battery or a short circuit in the phone itself.

We use only unmodified OEM charging equipment, so I can't blame cheap chargers.

I had to grab gloves & a probe to pry the battery out. Almost dunked the whole thing in water, but didn't have to.

09-20-09 03:21 PM
    My tour has been warm once ot twice, never on the charger. Got home today hand the wife hung from a call and hers was very warm.
    09-20-09 04:22 PM
    was it on a conductive surface? Could be the contacts on the back that the cradle use to charge the phone. Probably a longshot but its the only thing i could think of.
    09-20-09 06:50 PM
    I have had this happen before. In a signal fluctuating area and i was trying to send emails and sms and trying to send them over and over. Also using the camera alot.

That is the only time I have seen it happen
    09-20-09 07:30 PM
    was it on a conductive surface? Could be the contacts on the back that the cradle use to charge the phone. Probably a longshot but its the only thing i could think of.
    Glass surface, no moisture. Room temp about 76 degrees, low humidity.

These phones don't get banged around, nor are they abused. My phone briefcase is compartmented with dielectric foam. I could drop the case from a six story window onto concrete & all the phones would survive.

This was a definite defect - the only thing I need to determine is whether the defect was battery internal or battery external.

09-20-09 10:25 PM
    Some guy posted recently about being on vacation and his tour did the same exact thing. He was then crucified for pitching a fit at the carriers store trying to get a replacement so his clients could reach him, instead of going on 24 hour benders. I haven't had the issue yet, as I have a tour on my second line. I'll make sure I don't leave it on something easily flammable though.
    09-21-09 01:54 AM
    Some guy posted recently about being on vacation and his tour did the same exact thing. He was then crucified for pitching a fit at the carriers store trying to get a replacement so his clients could reach him, instead of going on 24 hour benders. I haven't had the issue yet, as I have a tour on my second line. I'll make sure I don't leave it on something easily flammable though.
    His was getting warm or hot. His didn't melt down & show internal burn marking evidence.
    We're talking a soft & warped chassis, blackened stickers & plastic. Scary stuff.

09-21-09 08:56 AM
    How did that work out for you twinz?
    I'd like to know if it WAS the battery or a short in the phone. I'm still a bit stunned by it.
    09-21-09 09:04 AM
    His was getting warm or hot. His didn't melt down & show internal burn marking evidence.
    We're talking a soft & warped chassis, blackened stickers & plastic. Scary stuff.

I hope you brought this matter to the attention of the appropriate authorities.

09-21-09 10:17 AM
    Glad to report I've had no issues as of yet with mine
    09-21-09 12:00 PM
    Snap a few pictures?
    09-21-09 01:02 PM
    Sent it over to my guys - what they look for is where the damage was at, then try to determine cause before sending the phone back to our client.

They applied power to the phone & found internal circuitry damage. This would normally indicate it wasn't the battery - but if the battery shorted out & created a high voltage condition, that could have damaged internal components.

Looking a bit deeper, they found some faults, but they couldn't determine the cause - could've been originally a loose connection or a bad solder joint.

They did find some isolated damage at the screen. Too far away, in their estimation to have been caused by heat from the battery, but again, if the battery shorted & spiked power, anything could've happened.

We have lots of photos, unfortunately, contract forbids publishing those.

The problem is, we may or may not be told the ultimate cause, even after a full check. We just do the preliminary check here & forward on our findings.

This particular device was for testing & durability. We were not told if it was a production sample or if it was a mod-sample. As far as I know, there were different components in it, with an eye on the future.

I shared what I have as a reminder to never trust these devices. Always make sure you take care in how they are handled & never place one on a bed, on a carpeted floor or a moist surface. Always look at it as something which could catch fire or short out. Don't leave one on a charger for extended periods.

A side note - I have whole-house power conditioning & use APC UPS units. Yes, even for the phone chargers. We have to isolate power fluctuations. I tested the power source & all was in good condition.

Just a few precautions can save your data, your car, your home or your life.

09-21-09 02:29 PM
    Under heavy use my device usually runs at 94F-96F. If I leave it on a table for a bit, 74F-76F. Gotta love MeterBerry!
    09-21-09 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD