11-22-09 09:35 PM
36 12
tools
    I just got off the phone with a customer service rep from Verizon and debating after 10 years with them on making the switch. I've had a Storm since the day after the release date about this time last year. About a month ago I started to have problems with the phone not recieving phone calls and I mean no trace of a call. I work primarily from being dispatched by my cell phone, 24 hours a day. So after a phone call to c/s, 3 stores and 5 hours later I recieved an in store replacement unit since I needed this issue fixed right away. The same problem is happening with this device I recieved as a replacement. I just did the three store tour again, and was on the phone for over an hour. I'm eligible for an annual upgrade on the 23rd of this month, and willing to buy in store as soon as possible to fix this issue. The only answer I recieved was well you can try to go in store on the 23rd but you're actual upgrade date isn't until the 12th of December. What is wrong with Verizon, I mean I know they don't care about me personally as a customer but they should have some one that can say oh look, it's only 2 days, we will go ahead and move that for you so you can upgrade and get yourself out of this problem you're having.

I work in customer service dealing with people not having heat at 2 a.m. and complaining about the costs of heating oil. I think I understand how things should work as far as pleasing a customer goes. At one point the man on the phone told me it may be wise for me to switch carriers. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I do believe that every customer is valuable to a certain extent no matter how much money you recieve from them on any basis. He also stated that he understands my problem and that I should expect my phone to work for me at all times if I have service. If that's true, wouldn't I be getting a new phone instead of, call back on another line so we can try more procedures. What if someone was in his cubicle and he couldn't work, I wonder how he would feel knowing that he's losing money not work. Damn this world is full of idiots, it's not like I asked for a free phone. All I wanted was to upgrade 2 days earlier in search of a solution to a major problem I'm having due to the fact that I can't make money with out my phone. I could go on forever, but I'll stop there.
    11-20-09 09:20 PM
    If you are that close to you upgrade, call CS on the phone. They may make it happen early.
    11-20-09 09:25 PM
    Sounds like you may have gotten a burned out rep! 99% of the VZW phone reps I've dealt with have bent over backwards to satisfy me.

What I would do, if I were in your situation, is pick the phone back up and call 611 again. You'l certainly get a different rep and, odds are, you'll get a helpful one. Simply politely explain the situation to him/her (as I'm sure you did the 1st rep), and ask if she wouldn't mind going ahead and getting her manager's approval for an early upgrade. If she does it might be wise to confirm with her that it's noted in the system and you won't have any trouble going to a store tomorrow to get your new phone.

Let us know how it works out.
    Last edited by jlsparks; 11-20-09 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Because I'm too slow.. lastraid beat me to it!
    11-20-09 09:26 PM
    The issue I'm having with that is that the person I spoke with originally talked to her manager and ok'ed me to upgrade early but only over the phone for an extra fee of twenty dollars. I can't have packages delivered to my current adress or place of work due to the fact that no one is around to either accept them or the fact that it sometimes takes up to a week for me to be able to get there to pick them up. I asked if they could note my account of my issue so I could do an in store transaction and they said no they can not. This was from the third "manager" I talked to. I left that part out due to the fact that no one helps me at Verizon no matter how many calls I attempt lol. Anyone have a number I can try, that isn't customer service? Possibly someone who makes things happen?
    11-20-09 09:39 PM
    (800) 256-4646

That's technically consumer sales, but it's worth a shot.
    11-20-09 09:45 PM
    Thanks, I'll give them a try in between jobs tomorrow morning. Not a fan, first time I've ever really had a problem to this extent and support was the reason I stuck with Verizon because of all the small problems they've always taken care of. Thanks for the help and if anyone else has info, please don't hesitate. I really do like the Verizon network, just not a fan of not getting help.
    11-20-09 09:52 PM
    The issue I'm having with that is that the person I spoke with originally talked to her manager and ok'ed me to upgrade early but only over the phone for an extra fee of twenty dollars. I can't have packages delivered to my current adress or place of work due to the fact that no one is around to either accept them or the fact that it sometimes takes up to a week for me to be able to get there to pick them up. I asked if they could note my account of my issue so I could do an in store transaction and they said no they can not. This was from the third "manager" I talked to. I left that part out due to the fact that no one helps me at Verizon no matter how many calls I attempt lol. Anyone have a number I can try, that isn't customer service? Possibly someone who makes things happen?
    Fee is part of the deal of an annual upgrade, and it's that way for everyone.

But the problem is store reps are not given the same amount of lenience on upgrade dates as call center reps are, and apparently they get **** for doing it when they're audited. (At least that's how it was explained to me by a store rep.) On the other hand, here in the call centers, if we want to give the customer a few early days, they won't bat an eye. My guess is they're probably tougher on Store Reps because they're on commission and don't want any of the less scrupulous Store reps "cheating" the system. (No offense to store reps here, I'm just coming up with hypothetical situations as to why they might be tougher on you.)

If there's *anywhere* else you know of, any neighbors, any friends who can accept a package for you, we'll ship it there. For example, my brother has packages shipped to our parents when he won't be around to receive them.

Also keep in mind that I believe FedEx will accept a signed note left on your door, though I can't guarantee nobody will randomly walk by and snatch it up. :P
    11-20-09 10:11 PM
    I asked if they could note my account of my issue so I could do an in store transaction and they said no they can not.
    Ahhh, the never ending Civil War between Customer Service and the Stores. Customer Service can't make a store do an early upgrade just like the stores can't make Customer Service apply courtesy credits. The customer is stuck in the middle while the employees fight amongst themselves.

Don't you have any friends? Have Customer Service deliver the phone to a friends house.
    11-20-09 10:15 PM
    Poly, I do understand the fee. I'm not opposed to it either. **** I'd pay an extra 50 to pick it up in store. I'm just kind of fed up with the run around I get from one rep to the next. One guy said sure, we'll change the date so you can go in store. He says here I'll connect you to this guy to help you with that. Connects me and now it's December 12th or whatever. I'm sure I could have it shipped somewhere, the main point is that I can not mis calls because our customers call my phone directly to help them with their problems. It's kind of like if Verizon's phones didn't work in their call center. Only I'm one person compared to however many thousand reps and we have 4-5000 customers compared to millions. It's just the point that I have a problem that can not obviously be solved by an ordinary rep, or maybe I just get the one that doesn't believe in a helping a customer.
    11-20-09 10:19 PM
    Since you're both here Y'all all access the same basic database on us customers right? I mean, if customer service puts a hot remark on my account because I've called 50 times asking for freebies, the store reps can see that. So I guess the question is: when you've got a guy like the OP, who isn't trying to scam anyone or pull anything over on ccare or the stores, why isn't it possible to mark his account and let him purchase a few days early (with ccare's authorization) in store? The VMIR still applies to either a phone sale or a store sale, since the instant is only applied with online purchases. I'm just trying to understand why there's a disconnect between ccare and the stores in situations like this. Thank you both.
    11-20-09 10:21 PM
    JL, that is I guess in essence what I've been trying to figure out these past few days. I mean, I could see if I got a new phone, called in and said its broke, got a new one and so on and always wanted a different model, yeah tell me no and that be that. All I'm asking for is a little help here. Aren't corporate stores as well as ccare both extensions of the same over all carrier?
    11-20-09 10:27 PM
    Since you're both here Y'all all access the same basic database on us customers right? I mean, if customer service puts a hot remark on my account because I've called 50 times asking for freebies, the store reps can see that. So I guess the question is: when you've got a guy like the OP, who isn't trying to scam anyone or pull anything over on ccare or the stores, why isn't it possible to mark his account and let him purchase a few days early (with ccare's authorization) in store? The VMIR still applies to either a phone sale or a store sale, since the instant is only applied with online purchases. I'm just trying to understand why there's a disconnect between ccare and the stores in situations like this. Thank you both.
    Because that would make sense. But VZW isn't about making sense. VZW is about making money while making you think they care. The stores don't exist to take care of customers. They are there to sell you things.

The stores at other carriers have service people. VZW has sales hacks in their stores who can only survive with a captive audience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 10:37 PM
    So I guess the question is: when you've got a guy like the OP, who isn't trying to scam anyone or pull anything over on ccare or the stores, why isn't it possible to mark his account and let him purchase a few days early (with ccare's authorization) in store?
    Because the store (and it's management team) is held accountable for the early upgrade even though it was "approved" by Customer Service. Lets say the company tells the store manager that they can do 10 early upgrades a month and anything more than that comes directly out of their pocket (which is basically what happens). If they honor every early upgrade that is "approved" by CS they may not be able to afford to eat that month. And they'll be on a warning and their job is in immediate jeopardy for failure to meet the company standards. They'd rather lose you as a customer so they can get a bigger paycheck and keep their job.

CS is held to many of the same standards.

It sucks but thats how it is.
    11-20-09 10:52 PM
    That is nutty. I have been upgraded two months in advance. You need to call back and get the right person. Say you are considering switching to AT&T that you think the iphone is so wonderful and see what happens. Jeesh these CS people!
    11-20-09 10:58 PM
    That is nutty. I have been upgraded two months in advance. You need to call back and get the right person. Say you are considering switching to AT&T that you think the iphone is so wonderful and see what happens. Jeesh these CS people!

See post #4 in this thread. The early upgrade has already been approved. The problem is that they want to ship the phone instead of doing an in-store upgrade.
    11-20-09 11:07 PM
    So after a phone call to c/s, 3 stores and 5 hours later I recieved an in store replacement unit since I needed this issue fixed right away. The same problem is happening with this device I recieved as a replacement.
    I just re-read your post. This is the second phone that is having the problem. Are you sure this isn't network related?
    11-20-09 11:10 PM
    Correct. It's approved over the phone, which won't work when I get called 24/7. I mean if the problem was that the phone didn't ring and I could see a missed call I could have an excuse, return a call within a few minutes and be on my jolly way to a crawl space in the middle of the night. The point is that I don't know of missed calls and Verizon refuses to let me go in the store to pick up a phone. It's not like I'm asking for a FRU or anything at no cost. I just want to pay the upgrade price on the phone since I'm well officially one day out from my annual. Oh and the guy went back and fourth between the 22nd and 23rd on the phone? I was told this evening to get my phone situation fixed by Saturday evening. So one way or another, I need to make something happen.
    11-20-09 11:16 PM
    It is the second phone. I travel in an approx. 50 mile radius of our office and it happens all over. It happens at my house and I have full service no matter where I am at in the house. I've never had a problem until the Storm and my girlfriends Curve recieves every phone call.
    11-20-09 11:19 PM
    A few things...

If you're having the exact same issue on the replacement phone that you were having on the original, its not likely a phone issue, but likely a service issue. If Verizon were to let you upgrade early, and you get this new phone, odds are it will have the same problem as the first two...

I see this as one of those situations where you probably should have a back up plan, in case something goes wrong with your mobile phone (which happened here). Do you not have a house phone, or a friend/family members phone that you can have the calls forwarded to for the time being?

Speaking of forwarding, a lot of times with receiving call issues, it has something to do with call forwarding... Its also something reps easily overlook sometimes... When people call your phone, what happens on their end? Does it go straight to your voicemail? Does it ring then go to voicemail?....
    11-21-09 04:47 AM

They will say enjoy ATT.....I almost left verizon last year for att...was willing to spend 700.00 in phones if they would eat the 85 ETF for each line....they said no and I am still a happy verizon customer....

I have friends that work in the stores and they even say call CS....

Have the phone delivered to a neighbor.....
    11-21-09 06:23 AM
    Most of the problems happen when the calls are placed directly to my cell and not a result of call forwarding. A lot of the problem here is I miss calls from my boss mostly, which in some cases is how I'm notified that I need to respond to something. The having customers call me directly only happens 50% of the time when the boss is unavailable or I'm doing both service and delivering oil. This is more of an issue of the point. I should not have to have the phone delivered, I understand policy but this is an issue. Plus I'd rather not pull out the credit card and just pay cash in the store. I could have it delivered else where, but I'm not really comfortable with that approach. I should have a back up plan, and my plan was and always has been to call Verizon and they will help. They have always fixied any problems I'd had before with no issue what so ever. Hence why I'm a little mad at Verizon right now.
    11-21-09 06:48 AM
    It's not a service issue, I can have someone right next to me recieving phone calls in my house on verizon and I will mis a call from my boss. It's not every call I'm missing, just a majority of them.
    11-21-09 06:51 AM
    I have to agree that it's a service issue also. I have had my curve since March and everything was fine until recently. I've started missing calls. Sometimes it doesn't tell me I've missed a call. Very important to know when you have a mother who's had several heart attacks and she calls you to call 911. (I know, I've told her a hundred times, just call 911). Anyway, about a year ago I had a dumb phone and had the same problem, that's why I started looking around for another phone and finally decided on my BB. My son also has VZW and lives in the apt. attached to my house and doesn't have this problem at all. We've had people call us over and over he always gets his call and mine is hit and miss. The reason I say it is a network issue is because I had the same troubles a year ago with the dumb phone and now again with my BB. I'm looking into getting another phone but I don't think it will solve the problem. I don't think you getting another will solve yours either but I wish you luck in this situation. I understand the need to have your calls come through. If I were calling you to order my propane I'd be pretty upset if I didn't get a hold of you and I was out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 09:27 AM
    Because the store (and it's management team) is held accountable for the early upgrade even though it was "approved" by Customer Service. Lets say the company tells the store manager that they can do 10 early upgrades a month and anything more than that comes directly out of their pocket (which is basically what happens). If they honor every early upgrade that is "approved" by CS they may not be able to afford to eat that month. And they'll be on a warning and their job is in immediate jeopardy for failure to meet the company standards. They'd rather lose you as a customer so they can get a bigger paycheck and keep their job.

CS is held to many of the same standards.

It sucks but thats how it is.
    I can buy that. Thanks for the information.
    11-21-09 09:35 AM
    It's not a service issue, I can have someone right next to me recieving phone calls in my house on verizon and I will mis a call from my boss. It's not every call I'm missing, just a majority of them.
    Sounds not like a service issue - it does sound like a typical BlackBerry radio issue.

BlackBerry radio performance is bottom of the pile & once you get to the bottom of that pile, it is scattered everywhere. Poor performance & a huge variance in out of the box performance. Then the variation gets worse with age.

The things are designed to do exactly what you're experiencing.
    11-21-09 10:43 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD