I am a former Alltel customer who got merged into Verizon. I notice that my "Home SID" (144) did not change with the merger (as well as the "Current SID" that my BlackBerry joins in my home area, consequently).

First of all, can someone "in the know" tell me- is this configuration "right"?

Secondly, what does this mean as afar as the coverage I'm getting in my home area goes? Will I be preferentially using the old Alltel cells over the Verizon ones?

Finally, what happens if I were to set my Home SID to the local Verizon one?
    07-29-09 04:01 PM
    I am a former Alltel customer who got merged into Verizon. I notice that my "Home SID" (144) did not change with the merger (as well as the "Current SID" that my BlackBerry joins in my home area, consequently).

Secondly, what does this mean as afar as the coverage I'm getting in my home area goes? Will I be preferentially using the old Alltel cells over the Verizon ones?

It doesn't look as if anyone wants to tackle your questions. I am not in this business but have learned a few things since the merger.

To respond to your first question, I have been lead to believe that an Alltel branded phone has not changed with respect to the "Home SID" since the merger. My question to this would be: After tower convergence, will the Home SID change on an Alltel phone?

Second, after tower convergence, I have been lead to believe that the system will be "one" and tower preference will no longer apply to Alltel vs VZW towers.

To answer your final question I can say that changing your Home SID will not make a difference. Your PRL will still direct you to the Alltel tower first.

As for myself, I have been moved from an Alltel branded phone to a Verizon branded phone to fix what was falsely diagnosed as a "radio issue". This did not fix the problem. The next attempt to resolve my reception issue was to change the Home SID on the VZW branded phone to the VZW Home SID. This has not fixed the problem. So here I am with an Alltel plan, a VZW branded Curve 8330 with a VZW Home SID and PRL 40052. There is a VZW tower 7/10 of a mile from my house and until I can pick up that tower, my formerly reliable phone either garbles the conversation or drops the call when I use it from my house.

The store manager has tried his best to resolve the issue. Tech support has seemed helpful and has generated two work orders over the past two weeks but the situation has not been resolved. I am killing these folks with kindness but am beginning to lose patience.

I am giving this one more shot at the retail level and if this fails, I am organizing a "posse" and we are going to flood the store with "customers" who will just about bring transactions for the day to a halt. Sorry reps, but as you can see I am tired of being given the runaround.
    07-29-09 06:19 PM
    I solved the problem by loading a verizon prl and changed the SID to a local verizon one.

forkup
    07-29-09 08:57 PM

Your Home SID didn't change because you're still living in the same area, so you're still using the same circle of towers that you used on Alltel.
    And your Serving or "Current" SID won't change unless you travel outside of your home area.

So this configuration is right. Now, as for which towers your phone will prefer... It all depends on the PRL list in your phone. Really, with the conversion, Veizon and Alltel towers should all be the same... now, I don't actually know if the latest PRL updates have done this yet.

As for switching your Home SID in your phone... It's not recommended, simply because your phones Home SID is set to give you the best coverage...
    07-30-09 04:11 AM
    I solved the problem by loading a verizon prl and changed the SID to a local verizon one.

forkup
    Did you use QPST to do the PRL change? The VZW store manager says he put in a local VZW SID. I can check things out on a working demo in the store and compare numbers. What we need is a tutorial on "How to make your Alltel smart phone work on the VZW network." It's ironic that my GFs dumb phone works fine from the house.
    07-30-09 07:39 AM
    Yes I used Qpst, there are several threads on how to do it. It only takes a few minutes then make the Home SID change in the cdma service edit screen, hit save and the device will reboot.

forkup
    07-30-09 04:22 PM
    Thanks everyone. So basically what I'm hearing is that my configuration is right and not to worry about it. Fine. I've been incredibly happy with the Alltel coverage in my area. The Verizon merger doesn't seem to have harmed that any. I can't argue with a solid -80 dB signal in my office and no worse than -90 dB at home.

Has anyone compared the 40052 (Alltel non-divested) PRL with the current Verizon PRL?

I wonder if all Verizon customers are created equally as far as roaming coverage goes.
    07-31-09 10:25 AM
    how do i find a list of local verizon sid"s for my area?
    Thanks!
    04-03-10 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD