This is a new product that can replace your traditional landline.

http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=v8bsIQIE
    02-17-11 06:55 PM
    Looks like a pretty good deal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-11 08:33 PM
    Looks like a pretty good deal.

Compared to basic landline, I don't see it that way, but it works for some I suppose.

I'm sure I'm inviting a flame fest, but I still get a traditional phone line anywhere I live. It's bulletproof reliable, it's not expensive (compared to any cell phone plan generally), and there's almost never a contract.

If I'm ever in a super financial pinch, the last thing I would get rid of is my land-line. That and a calling card could save me thousands a year if I need to. I'm not as reachable, but that's what answering machines are for (yes I have one of those too if I need it).

Not to mention the instant, and accurate E911 reporting - can't talk? Emergency? The 911 dispatch has your address mapped before they even pick up the phone. 911 on a cell phone, it goes where it goes, usually state police then they kick it to the area dispatch...when seconds count (don't forget to tell them your location too)...GPS give you a starting point.

Where I see value in this product is in areas where you may want a second line, but don't have or can't have additional inside wiring for the traditional phone. Certainly a feasible circumstance.
    02-18-11 12:55 AM
    Compared to basic landline, I don't see it that way, but it works for some I suppose.

I'm sure I'm inviting a flame fest, but I still get a traditional phone line anywhere I live. It's bulletproof reliable, it's not expensive (compared to any cell phone plan generally), and there's almost never a contract.

If I'm ever in a super financial pinch, the last thing I would get rid of is my land-line. That and a calling card could save me thousands a year if I need to. I'm not as reachable, but that's what answering machines are for (yes I have one of those too if I need it).

Not to mention the instant, and accurate E911 reporting - can't talk? Emergency? The 911 dispatch has your address mapped before they even pick up the phone. 911 on a cell phone, it goes where it goes, usually state police then they kick it to the area dispatch...when seconds count (don't forget to tell them your location too)...GPS give you a starting point.

Where I see value in this product is in areas where you may want a second line, but don't have or can't have additional inside wiring for the traditional phone. Certainly a feasible circumstance.
    This unit does have built in GPS and does not triangulate off towers like a cell phone. There is caviot though that you might have to give your address to 911. This is a good call.

Also this unit does not support DSL dial up, Faxing, or Alarm systems that require a hardline. On the unlim plan you can call international at the per minute rate and on the family share plans you can add the +Mexico or +Canada plan.

This is a great replacement for the VZW Hub device, that has been a challenge for some at fraction of the price. Then again HPC does not quite have the features of the Hub either.
    Last edited by lastraid; 02-18-11 at 08:15 AM.
    02-18-11 08:12 AM
    This unit does have built in GPS and does not triangulate off towers like a cell phone. There is caviot though that you might have to give your address to 911. This is a good call.

Also this unit does not support DSL dial up, Faxing, or Alarm systems that require a hardline. On the unlim plan you can call international at the per minute rate and on the family share plans you can add the +Mexico or +Canada plan.

This is a great replacement for the VZW Hub device, that has been a challenge for some at fraction of the price. Then again HPC does not quite have the features of the Hub either.
    I understand, but remember what everyone is paying for here. To get it, you have to add it as part of a family plan. The least expensive family plan on Verizon is $70/mo., add $20 for the unlimited Home Phone Connect. Verizon Wireless includes the domestic LD, good. Most LECs do the same now with their local service. Verizon Wireless' international rates are highway robbery. Even if you pay $4/mo for "value" plan minutes and you pay $.06/min to landline and $.26/min to a mobile in the UK. $.07/$.19 to Japan. yada yada...

One can use Skype on their smartphone (quite affordable), or if they have landline, they can shop for international LD providers and get services at a fraction of the VZW published rate.

I'm simply pointing out that if you were a single line customer, paying $40/mo for the 450 minute plan, you don't pay $20 for this, you pay either $30 or $50 in the end. Compared to traditional phone services, that is not competitive on a cost basis (even if you assume other factors are equal, which we know they aren't).

Again, I think there's specific points where this is useful, a second line in a house you don't want wiring for, a line at a second home, etc. But, as a home phone replacement, caveat emptor...
    02-18-11 11:26 AM
    I understand, but remember what everyone is paying for here. To get it, you have to add it as part of a family plan. The least expensive family plan on Verizon is $70/mo., add $20 for the unlimited Home Phone Connect. Verizon Wireless includes the domestic LD, good. Most LECs do the same now with their local service. Verizon Wireless' international rates are highway robbery. Even if you pay $4/mo for "value" plan minutes and you pay $.06/min to landline and $.26/min to a mobile in the UK. $.07/$.19 to Japan. yada yada...

One can use Skype on their smartphone (quite affordable), or if they have landline, they can shop for international LD providers and get services at a fraction of the VZW published rate.

I'm simply pointing out that if you were a single line customer, paying $40/mo for the 450 minute plan, you don't pay $20 for this, you pay either $30 or $50 in the end. Compared to traditional phone services, that is not competitive on a cost basis (even if you assume other factors are equal, which we know they aren't).

Again, I think there's specific points where this is useful, a second line in a house you don't want wiring for, a line at a second home, etc. But, as a home phone replacement, caveat emptor...
    Agreed, there are specific needs to everyones application of anything and I will always keep a traditional landline as well. It will work well for some and not for others This is just another option in a world of many options.
    02-18-11 11:44 AM
    This doesn't have to be added to a share plan. Families with a home phone could easily benefit from this.

02-18-11 11:54 AM
    Depending on how much you call LD, I guess it could be a good deal. I've got a similar setup from T-Mo, but its only $10/per mo, which saved me money on just the basic line charge. I had switched to VOIP with my last ISP and when I was changing DSL recently, I looked around for options and T-Mo's was a good one. Not sure if they even offer it anymore.

As far as 911, the device/number is registered to our address, so its only a concern if I was to take the modem and use it somewhere else and then had to call 911.

The other nice thing is that calling our home line from our cells is counted as t-Mo to T-Mo minutes, not that I have a minute problem... yet. I'm going to have to get my daughter a phone soon and she's a chatterbox...
    02-18-11 12:18 PM
    This doesn't have to be added to a share plan. Families with a home phone could easily benefit from this.

Indeed you are correct. I mis-read. The $19.99/mo is a stand-alone option. The $9.99/mo is a family plan add-on.
    02-19-11 12:00 PM
    I recently hooked up one of these on an individual line. Being that my work pays for my blackberry I had to start a new contract, but for $20 a month, I think it's worth it. So far it's been great. Crisp and clear call quality. Installation was a breeze. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask.
    02-22-11 07:05 AM

Those are the main reasons that I keep a land line (home internet service is DSL that runs through the phone line, and I sometimes work from home and often have the need to send or receive documents via fax that can't be scanned and e-mailed). And, I live in a multi-unit secured building, where the land line phone is also used for the entry system.

But I can see where this might be handy for some who don't really have a specific need for a land line, or who want to set up phone service in a location where there's no existing wiring in place, and installation would be extremely expensive or impractical.
    02-23-11 12:17 AM

Good point about the E911 service. I live in a large city, in a multi-unit high-rise development with a total of 540 units between the two buildings just on this property. GPS will help find me within a 1-block radius that includes probably around 500 more dwelling units. So if I'm unable to speak clearly, due to being hurt or ill, I don't think I'd get located promptly enough to get real help in a critical emergency.
    02-23-11 12:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD