Hey...i was wondering if there were any hidden data fees with the unlimited blackberry data for verizon...like is there a 5gb cap or not...and do they screw you with the tether app or do they not even notice it....thanks
    08-06-10 01:15 PM
    No. Unlimited BlackBerry data for $29.00. That's data used on the device itself.

Tethering through VZW cost extra. It's another $30/month for that. i, like many others, use the Tether app with no issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 01:17 PM
    Use Tether at your own risk. That is all I can say.
    08-06-10 01:19 PM
    thanks chrisy520
    08-06-10 01:30 PM
    I haven't heard a single person who's said they've been screwed over because they use Tether.
    08-06-10 01:35 PM
    Can we move this to the Verizon forum? It might find a better audience there.

I'm not flaming, just sayin'

08-06-10 01:37 PM
    srry arrow.......how does it get moved?
    08-06-10 01:50 PM
    No need to apologize, I just figured you'd get a better audience there. And moving it is something the moderators have to do. The message was mostly for them.

08-06-10 01:57 PM
    FYI --

If you are planning on using the Tether app, please use constraint and practice safe browsing. If you have a sudden spike in data usage, it will cause a red flag and cause your carrier to question your usage.

I.E. don't watch movies or download lots of things while tethered. It can and will come back to bite you.
    08-06-10 01:59 PM
    Well, that and the modem tunnel itself has a distinctive signature on the network. If they decide to review your account (because you have a sudden spike in data usage, for instance) they'll nail you will charges for it.

08-06-10 02:02 PM
    Yes there has been people who have problems. I remember a college kid who got his parents lines suspended because of tether.

08-06-10 02:11 PM
    Yes there has been people who have problems. I remember a college kid who got his parents lines suspended because of tether.

That was what I was referencing when I said don't watch movies. IIRC he got busted from streaming music and videos. I want to say his bill was several thousand dollars.

If you're a responsible browser, you should be fine. Never use Tether as your only internet connection, unless all you do is read the news and occasionally check facebook, etc. Anything highly data intensive should be used on some other type of internet connection - go to the Library if you have to download some massive files or something.
    08-06-10 02:18 PM
    What is tether? This phone does things I don't even understand.
    08-06-10 02:43 PM
    Tethering is when you connect your phone to your computer to use it as a wireless modem.

08-06-10 02:46 PM

This is exactly what I mean....everyone has heard of someone or they have a friend or their aunt or their uncle's horse. Not one single person on here has come out and said they got hit hard because of the Tether application.

Now it could be because crackberry users are smart enough not to use it so much they get busted, but until someone comes on here with their own story/experience, then everything is a myth.
    08-06-10 02:51 PM
    Can we move this to the Verizon forum? It might find a better audience there.

I'm not flaming, just sayin'

srry arrow.......how does it get moved?
    No need to apologize, I just figured you'd get a better audience there. And moving it is something the moderators have to do. The message was mostly for them.

One of us just has to notice it, OR you can use the report button and indicate that a thread needs to be moved. Report button is the ! in a triangle (on HTML) or the !!! (on WAP). Of course in this case I saw it and moved it as requested.
    08-06-10 02:55 PM
    thanks man sorry for the trouble
    08-06-10 02:57 PM
    This is exactly what I mean....everyone has heard of someone or they have a friend or their aunt or their uncle's horse. Not one single person on here has come out and said they got hit hard because of the Tether application.

Now it could be because crackberry users are smart enough not to use it so much they get busted, but until someone comes on here with their own story/experience, then everything is a myth.
    They were referencing a college kid who did post on here about how he used tether to stream video and music. He was on his parents plan and their phones got shut off also because the bill ended up being serveral thousand dollars. There have been more people on here that have said the same thing.
    08-06-10 03:11 PM
    Regarding the college student --- here's the thread we're referencing.

Omg!!! Help!!! Unexpected data charges for Tetherberry use
    08-06-10 03:11 PM
    Well he was an *****. If you just do basic stuff and don't abuse it, you are fine. I used tether on verizon forever and never had a problem.
    08-06-10 03:51 PM
    Well he was an *****. If you just do basic stuff and don't abuse it, you are fine. I used tether on verizon forever and never had a problem.
    Well, just be careful. Like I said, a modem tunnel has a very specific signature on the network, so if they ever decide to review your activity, for whatever reason, you could end up getting slammed.

08-06-10 03:54 PM
    I only use it when I travel (sitting in an airport or at a hotel that charges). It has already paid for itself. I only send emails and checkup on Facebook and looks through here. I agree with the others- just be SMART about it.
    08-07-10 01:52 PM
    I haven't heard a single person who's said they've been screwed over because they use Tether.
    You havent been here very long then.
    08-08-10 10:55 AM
    For devices with mobile hotspot capabilities, I have been told by a store rep that it is $20/month for 1 or 2 GB (I forgot) on top of $29.99 unlimited data plan. I hope they don't put a cap on data plan like att has done.

08-09-10 02:59 PM
    Regarding the college student --- here's the thread we're referencing.

Omg!!! Help!!! Unexpected data charges for Tetherberry use
    And of course, there's absolutely no chance that a person with a total of five posts, who managed to generate 27 pages of replies, is a troll.

There were apparently some Bell Mobility users who got screwed using Tether. However, Verizon has many, many times more users and I've never heard of anybody getting burned.

Old thread on Bell Mobility.
    08-09-10 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD