To all who think they were charged wrongly for data here is one for ya.

I needed to create a new account for two of my family members and I wanted to take advantage of the Storm BOGO sale. So I started the two lines with the Storms with the intentions of switching them to mine and my girlfriends existing lines. (I drowned my existing one two days earlier)

The very next day I switched the Storms over to mine and my GF lines. Replaced them with a Palm Treo 755p (without a data plan, not needed its my mom's line) and a Motorola w755.

Everything was fine and dandy until I get the bill. $499.98!! I was surprised because it was all data charges. Even more surprised because it was all on the Palm Treo line. The biggest thing was that the Palm was sitting on my desk entirely off waiting for my Mom to come down and pick it up.

So I called CS. "Yeah your Palm Treo is on a Pay per use data plan. These charges are vaild." So I told her it wasn't even on the entire time. She said "It doesn't matter data was used these are vaild charges. Look up the bill online and you'll see they are valid."

Ok I know they aren't vaild the phone was programmed and shut off. I look at the bill and the data charges were for 12:11 am, 3 am, and 8 am. Which she did actually tell me. So I called CS back.

First thing I asked was "Is it possible to get data charges if a Blackberry is activated on our service??" He said "No never as long as it it active on the line" So I said "Good. I want these almost $400 dollar charges taken off because they are from a the Blackberry." And they did.

So what happened was the entire day of the day the Palm was activated I was on pay per use data. I never used the blackberry just had it on from 12 am till the 10AM ESN switch. In that short time it racked up almost $400 in data charges by itself.

Moral of the story is.....Unless you can prove you aren't responsible for the charges, you are. No excuses. Also why would you want a blackberry without a data plan?? It does so much more than make phone calls with out it.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 03-23-09 at 01:58 PM.
    03-23-09 11:16 AM
    Also why would you want a blackberry with a data plan?? It does so much more than make phone calls with out it.
    I think you meant without a data plan.
    And to answer your question, people want them without data plans to look cool without the bill. Basically, they want to be posers.

And I agree.
    Although the curve is a lot smaller then phones I had back in the day, they are still bigger then what I would get if I wanted just a phone.
    03-23-09 01:57 PM
    Thanks for that.. Corrected.
    03-23-09 01:58 PM
    To all who think they were charged wrongly for data here is one for ya.

I needed to create a new account for two of my family members and I wanted to take advantage of the Storm BOGO sale. So I started the two lines with the Storms with the intentions of switching them to mine and my girlfriends existing lines. (I drowned my existing one two days earlier)

The very next day I switched the Storms over to mine and my GF lines. Replaced them with a Palm Treo 755p (without a data plan, not needed its my mom's line) and a Motorola w755.

Everything was fine and dandy until I get the bill. $499.98!! I was surprised because it was all data charges. Even more surprised because it was all on the Palm Treo line. The biggest thing was that the Palm was sitting on my desk entirely off waiting for my Mom to come down and pick it up.

So I called CS. "Yeah your Palm Treo is on a Pay per use data plan. These charges are vaild." So I told her it wasn't even on the entire time. She said "It doesn't matter data was used these are vaild charges. Look up the bill online and you'll see they are valid."

Ok I know they aren't vaild the phone was programmed and shut off. I look at the bill and the data charges were for 12:11 am, 3 am, and 8 am. Which she did actually tell me. So I called CS back.

First thing I asked was "Is it possible to get data charges if a Blackberry is activated on our service??" He said "No never as long as it it active on the line" So I said "Good. I want these almost $400 dollar charges taken off because they are from a the Blackberry." And they did.

So what happened was the entire day of the day the Palm was activated I was on pay per use data. I never used the blackberry just had it on from 12 am till the 10AM ESN switch. In that short time it racked up almost $400 in data charges by itself.

Moral of the story is.....Unless you can prove you aren't responsible for the charges, you are. No excuses. Also why would you want a blackberry without a data plan?? It does so much more than make phone calls with out it.

Why wife uses a Palm Centro without a data plan and has never been charged. She uses it as a phone and sends pics and everything. I don't undestand how it could rack up $400 of data by just sitting there?
    03-23-09 03:17 PM
    Why wife uses a Palm Centro without a data plan and has never been charged. She uses it as a phone and sends pics and everything. I don't undestand how it could rack up $400 of data by just sitting there?
    I simply scanned the original post, but I think I understand it, or at least what happened.

There is no way to operate a CDMA BlackBerry without accessing data. When the phones were moved, the data plan was incorrectly provisioned, either by mistake or by goodwill (to charge the customer less by backdating the removal). BUT there was data usage and the billing system charged for it.

Small little oversights can have big consequences in billing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 03:56 PM
    It was the Blackberry that made the charges not the Palm.
    03-23-09 04:15 PM
    It was the Blackberry that made the charges not the Palm.
    Oh gotcha. Makes more sense know. Is that your suby in your avatar?
    03-23-09 04:43 PM
    **** yeah. Shes my baby.
    03-23-09 05:21 PM
    **** yeah. Shes my baby.
    Nice I have a wrx too. Owned alot of subies in my day.
    03-23-09 05:30 PM
    Those new commercials Subaru has out.... Yeah thats me. I utilize the AWD to its fullest potential. What year do you have?
    03-23-09 05:41 PM
    How can you guys handle driving a car that phonetically is pronounced "wrecks".

Of course, I guess its no worse than driving Toyota TRDs or Dodge SLTs.

03-23-09 05:45 PM
    Those new commercials Subaru has out.... Yeah thats me. I utilize the AWD to its fullest potential. What year do you have?
    Right now I have an 02 wrx. I had an 04 STi, an 05 Legacy, and and 03 wrx. I've been around the subaru block. Did you post your pin in the suby thread?

Twins that is funny especially because Subaru's are one of the safest cars on the road. So "wrecks" is ironic.
    03-23-09 06:34 PM
    Twins that is funny especially because Subaru's are one of the safest cars on the road. So "wrecks" is ironic.
    I hear you - I've just always marveled at the fact car makers often don't think of how things sound. The old Ford LTD - just how limited is your Ford? Then there was the Chevy Nova. No va, in Spanish, translates to "no go" or doesn't go.

I could go on for days...

03-23-09 06:51 PM
    We have a suby thread?
    03-23-09 06:52 PM
    We have a suby thread?
    Its in the social pin exchange forum!
    03-23-09 06:59 PM
    So you lied and said the Blackberry was active on the line when it really wasn't?
    03-23-09 10:27 PM
    So you lied and said the Blackberry was active on the line when it really wasn't?
    No Scott - I think you misunderstood him. He switched phones and the data plan was provisioned out. The problem is that the plans roll from 00:00-23:59. Instead of the plan covering the whole day, its removal was backdated. This left some uncovered BlackBerry data time in the eyes of the billing system. Billing system saw data, but data plan was not on account during this time. So the cold & cruel billing system, unable to think on its own, charged at the ala-carte data rate.

Pretty good example of why CDMA BlackBerrys & data plans go together.

03-24-09 05:34 PM
    I guess I disagree with the op -- honest mistakes do happen especially in complex systems. For example -- where I work there is a phone-based time-card system. Mastering this system is hard enough with all it's intricacies, but me and my coworkers float between five different hospitals and report to dozens of different units. Mistakes happen and management spends a lot of time cleaning them up to make sure people get paid what they deserve and that pay is billed to the right cost centers. If management just insisted that the time cards are indisputable, they'd ultimately undermine their authority.

03-24-09 06:25 PM
    I've been around the subaru block. Did you post your pin in the suby thread?
    Yes I did but my pin has changed. Last Berry drowned.. I'll have to go over and post my new one.

I guess I disagree with the op -- honest mistakes do happen especially in complex systems. For example -- where I work there is a phone-based time-card system. Mastering this system is hard enough with all it's intricacies, but me and my coworkers float between five different hospitals and report to dozens of different units. Mistakes happen and management spends a lot of time cleaning them up to make sure people get paid what they deserve and that pay is billed to the right cost centers. If management just insisted that the time cards are indisputable, they'd ultimately undermine their authority.

Why should I be charged data charges when I was on the blackberry plan with the blackberry and just needed to switch phones?? When I switched phones to another data capable phone I got charged for data that was covered under the BIS plan.

Charges were from 12am to 8am. I switched the phone at 10am to the Palm with pay per use plan. Not many people "downgrade" to a Palm from a BB this is a rare case of the simplicity of the system (12am - 11:59pm data billing). This is not a rant at all just an example of the data used by the blackberry's and that most of the time it is the users fault with data usage. In my case there was no way to avoid the charges unless I switched ESN's at 12am sharp. To also clarify the Storm went directly to my line with mandatory BIS plan attached.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 03-24-09 at 07:13 PM.
    03-24-09 07:09 PM
    It could be worse.

An example of valid data charges:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/omg-help-190239/

03-24-09 09:13 PM
    Yes I did but my pin has changed. Last Berry drowned.. I'll have to go over and post my new one.

Why should I be charged data charges when I was on the blackberry plan with the blackberry and just needed to switch phones?? When I switched phones to another data capable phone I got charged for data that was covered under the BIS plan.

Charges were from 12am to 8am. I switched the phone at 10am to the Palm with pay per use plan. Not many people "downgrade" to a Palm from a BB this is a rare case of the simplicity of the system (12am - 11:59pm data billing). This is not a rant at all just an example of the data used by the blackberry's and that most of the time it is the users fault with data usage. In my case there was no way to avoid the charges unless I switched ESN's at 12am sharp. To also clarify the Storm went directly to my line with mandatory BIS plan attached.
    Yipes -- I am truly sorry. Seems I wasn't specific about my disagreement with you. I was not doubting the claims you made about your bill/data use, and was not trying to say the charges were legit and that's that.

I simply disagree with your dictate that we are responsible for any charges until we can prove we aren't and that if we can't prove we we're not responsible then we should pay. I posted my comments about managerial discretion at my place of employment in order to demonstrate at least one case where there is often no way of definitively proving that the billing record is in error, but corrections get made. To be clear -- where I work, there often no way to "prove" whether clock punches were made in error. There is human error, there are systems' limitations, and there is no perfect real-time oversight of it all as people and systems mesh imperfectly. What managers are charged with cultivating is harmonious relations between employer and employees. Again, for my managers to insist on proof before making pre-pay-day corrections would be to undermine their authority/cede all vestiges of it to the system, squash morale, etc.

The same rules apply to matters between cellular providers and customers being explored in so many of the threads on these forums.
    03-25-09 04:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD