Hi all - could use some help here. I travel to Europe very often and use my Verizon GlobalEmail plan to get internet access (Gmail app and/or the Internet Browser).

I'd say half the time, my Blackberry works fine - full 3G reception and great performance. However, the other half of the time, it will say full 3G reception but have absolutely poor Internet access. It will time out when loading pages and or just stop for 30+ minutes at a time. I can't explain it- then out of the blue it will start working again without warning. It's almost like the network is blocking my access periodically. It's particularly bad in France and Spain I've noticed. The UK seems better usually.

I thought this was just a problem with the Storm's OS, so I expected this to be fixed with my new Tour. However it's just as bad.

I've tried resending the service books, rebooting the phone, battery pulls, etc., and nothing seems to work. I'm at my wit's end here - anyone have any ideas????

Thanks
    07-20-09 07:14 PM
    Could very well be the network that your on over there isn't working properly.
    07-20-09 08:18 PM
    where are you traveling?
    07-20-09 08:52 PM
    sounds like a location issue and not your device.

i'd call the local carrier in the area you're having the issue with and confirm coverage
    07-20-09 09:01 PM
    Not all European networks can be expected to allow you access or to provide 3G performance. Some limit 3G only to their subscribers.

If it happened on your Tour as well as your Storm, we can assume it is one of three things - local network, your settings or BlackBerry devices in general.

I'd check with tech sopport to verify your settings. If those are okay, see if they can check on the network persormance claims where you are at - I don't knoe if they can check, but it is worth asking. Lastly I would look at BlackBerry devices in general. I can't vouch for them in Europe, as I have never relied on them outside of North America. When overseas, I use WinMos or Palms, as I can't see tolerating the latency of an overseas network & running through RIM servers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 09:12 PM
    im using the tour in australia right now. its faster on 3g vodaphone than on verizon
    07-20-09 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD