I just bought an unlocked alltell blackberry curve trying to turn it on with my verizon service but all the verizon stores say I cannot do it is this true??? and why not
    12-24-08 11:13 AM
    that's a good question...I thought they had an "open handset policy" or something like that. Where you could use any CDMA phone on their network. Sorry for the lack of a good answer, but I know I read about something like that.
    12-24-08 11:15 AM
    I would try calling Verizon customer service and asking about that. They should be able to tell you if it possible and probably even set you up ove rthe phone. BTW, since it is an Alltel curve it isn't really "unlocked". The unlocking is a GSM thing. Saying that it is unlocked may be the reason some people are telling you that you can't.
    12-24-08 12:09 PM
    I would try calling Verizon customer service and asking about that. They should be able to tell you if it possible and probably even set you up ove rthe phone. BTW, since it is an Alltel curve it isn't really "unlocked". The unlocking is a GSM thing. Saying that it is unlocked may be the reason some people are telling you that you can't.
    There's nothing customer service would be able to do over the phone. What's supposed to happen is you take the phone to a Verizon Wireless store ( not an authorized reseller ), and let them know what you want to do. They're supposed to take the phone, and send it off to Device Evaluation Center where the phone is tested and flashed with Verizon Wirlesses approved software, they enter the ESN/MEID into their Device Management Database ( so the phone can be activated on their network ), and a couple other things, then send the phone back with approval or rejection letter.....

That's what's _supposed_ to happen.
    12-24-08 02:19 PM
    If the phone is not locked in to s specific vendor, then I see no reason why they wouldn't let you add it to their service plan.
    12-24-08 03:17 PM
    Verizon does not accept Alltel phones I tried switching back to Verizon but they told me the software was incompatible. Such as the apps only on alltel

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 03:33 PM
    Many people have misconceptions about the open handset initiative.

That simply means that any provider may petition verizon wireless to allow a device to access their network. If verizon finds that the device meets all the requirments to work on their network they will allow it to.

Their are several devices that already work. Most of them are cell phones.

If you had an existing verizon account then you could simply try adding the device to your accoun tby doing an esn change through my verizon.

Technically alltel and verizon use the same technology but i believe that the infrastructure of the netowrks are slightly different when it comes to data.

An example would be sprint. They run a CMDA network but they dont exactly use MMS. they do a variation called picture mail.

So that might be why it doesnt work. I know regular phones are sorta interchangeable between vzw and alltel.

probably won't be an issue pulling this off once the merger is completed though
    12-28-08 05:36 PM
    Whats going to happen when Alltel and verizon merge in the next month or so? either someones going to flip a switch and all phones will be compatible or everyone at alltell or verizon is going to have to go to the other for an upgrade. I remember when cingular and att combined, there were people standing at ATT kiosks in the Mall for days getting updates.... I felt bad for the employees who had to deal with all the customers.
    12-28-08 10:43 PM
    Your problem should be resolved soon...keep callin in...VZW just aquired Alltell on Thursday or Friday...so it may take a few weeks but should be possible soon...GOOD LUCK!!!
    01-12-09 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD