06-21-09 02:08 PM
53 123
tools
    The only way you can use a bb without a data package is on another service provider besides verizon. Verizon will not be able to activate your phone on their network without it having a bb data plan. Bottom line, sorry pal.
    06-10-09 04:41 PM
    You do if you want it to work on VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Guess I'am not the VZW gru I use to be SORRY all
    06-10-09 04:45 PM
    I thought with verizon you have to have the BB data plan on the phone. You are allowed to cancel it?

Wrong. If you don't want the data, you don't want a Blackberry.
    06-10-09 05:51 PM
    So My idea is for him to get a pearl flip and cancel the data plan after the first month then sync with DM for his email needs. Will this work?
    It most certainly will work - but only if you need a Pearl Flip paperweight.

With BlackBerry or the new smartphones, you can cancel the data plan. They will disable the phone & then ask which dumbphone you have to activate on the line. Or they will happily sell you a new dumbphone at full retail.

You will have purchased a smartphone that no longer works and will be tied to a fresh two-year contract for voice service that you will need to use a non-smartphone to use.

Sounds like a workable deal to me, yes?

If he doesn't want to cough up the $30, stay away from a smartphone. About the only thing a smartphone can do that a dumbphone cannot do is (sometimes) attachments & open software downloads. But without a data plan, you won't be doing those anyway, so why go through the added complexity & problems inherent in a smartphone?

06-10-09 06:38 PM
    Let's not get into the whole discussion of why BB are only good with day or not.

If you want a BB I believe AT&T is the only one that allows it. T Mobile used to but recently switched over to require them on smartphones, especially blackberries.

06-10-09 06:40 PM
    Originally Posted by bedstraps
    So My idea is for him to get a pearl flip and cancel the data plan after the first month then sync with DM for his email needs. Will this work?
    Will not work as the DM does not sync email
    06-10-09 07:12 PM
    I myself can't see buying a smartphone without a data plan, I have to have data. There seems to be a few people that have a need ( or think they do ) for a smartphone without data. I wonder why VZ couldn't let them use it without a data plan if they brought there own phone from ebay etc.. or buy one at full retail. Then there wouldn't be any subsidy issues and no advanced tech support because of no data.

Whatever tho, I will continue enjoying my constantly connected blackberry
    06-10-09 07:18 PM
    I myself can't see buying a smartphone without a data plan, I have to have data. There seems to be a few people that have a need ( or think they do ) for a smartphone without data. I wonder why VZ couldn't let them use it without a data plan if they brought there own phone from ebay etc.. or buy one at full retail. Then there wouldn't be any subsidy issues and no advanced tech support because of no data.

Part of this is that they will still want to send MMS, block data and no MMS. these devices were designed to do data. You do not want data get a dumb phone and one of the Palm's with no phone it. Whether the device is subcidised or not does not even play as a factor as why data is required
    06-10-09 07:30 PM
    Part of this is that they will still want to send MMS, block data and no MMS.
    True, I forgot about MMS.
    06-10-09 07:31 PM
    My Dad is ready to upgrade his phone. He is on the VZW network.

No this will not work since the ESN for the Blackberry Pearl Flip will be seen as a BB. If you cancel the data package, your account will eventually be flagged (sooner than later), and they will throw on the 44.99 data package automatically. Which is more than the individual 29.99 unlimited data. So you MAY get away with it for a month, but not two years.

Part of the reason why you can't have a BB without data is the agreement VZW has with RIM. They subsidize the device price with the fine print saying that you have to have a data package. So to activate ANY smartphone (including winmo phones with wifi) as of November 2008, you must have some type of data package. The cheapest is 24.99 which is a 10 MB cap. It's better to just get 29.99 unlimited.

I am not a heavy user, but I still use over 100 MB every month of browsing/e-mail.
    06-10-09 09:02 PM
    if you want a smartphone without a dataplan you should consider simply getting a pda specifically something like a ipaq..

the downside is that it will be a seperate device...

the good side is it will do all you need it to do without having any connection and extra cost..
    06-10-09 09:35 PM

Now I know this will sound weird to you push email must haves, but just because I don't want to have a data plan it doesn't mean I want a phone that looks like it came from toys are us or from a former eastern european country

Myself I like the look of the bb pearl and I found it easy to use but on verizon it's like ..no you can't play the game...it's our ball

I DON'T WANT A PHONE THAT LOOKS LIKE JERRY SPRINGERS GUESTS WOULD THINK IT'S ALL MODERN TRICKEREEEEE
    06-10-09 10:09 PM
    i loved my storm (EDIT: my bad, meant my pearl. love my storm too!). it was a nice "training" berry to transition from my enV to the berry OS and function. and it was small. learning to type on suretype made me appreciate all of the functions of the device. but i agree, the berry is worthless w/o data plan. winmo sounds your dad's speed if he can get one that doesn't require a data plan.
    Last edited by patches152; 06-11-09 at 01:29 AM.
    06-10-09 10:55 PM
    I wonder why VZ couldn't let them use it without a data plan if they brought there own phone from ebay etc.. or buy one at full retail. Then there wouldn't be any subsidy issues and no advanced tech support because of no data.
    A good portion of the reason, at least with regard to BlackBerry, is a BlackBerry device without data is less capable than most any dumbphone. No email, no service books, even the calendar will not work correctly. And, as lastraid mentioned, no MMS either. They would have to get RIM to strip out all of the IM programs, too.

06-11-09 12:30 AM
    You can't have any PDA/Advanced device on VZW without a data plan. These include any Blackberry or Smartphone devices. There's a $29.99 BIS plan for personal email and $44.99 for corporate email users. These are bolt-on plans for devices that will also be used for voice,, so it is in addition to your voice plan. The billing system automatically puts the plan on your account (and will actually put the higher one on the plan if the rep does not specify which one you should have). The system will not allow it to be removed, but it will auto remove if a non-pda device is then updated to your account (like if you downgraded to a non-pda device). It's not optional and there is no way around it. It cannot be removed. This was changed at the end of 2008,, those who previously got these types of devices without data plans are grandfathered. You won't be able to cancel the feature without calling in to customer service to do so. If they unknowingly try to remove it (not realizing that you're required to keep it for a pda phone), it will just switch which data plan you have (toggles between the $29.99 and $44.99). A rep wouldn't be able to help you take care of that even if they wanted to help you out!

Also, it's no fun to sync your emails to your device and not being able to automatically receive them wirelessly.

Twins is correct! Without being connected to the Blackberry server at all (via a BB data plan), you will have no service books in the device and the only thing that will function on your device is the ability to make/receive calls. BB devices are heavily dependent on service books that are provided for virtually every function on your device.
    Last edited by BBchic1998; 06-11-09 at 03:36 AM.
    06-11-09 03:27 AM
    No this will not work since the ESN for the Blackberry Pearl Flip will be seen as a BB. If you cancel the data package, your account will eventually be flagged (sooner than later), and they will throw on the 44.99 data package automatically. Which is more than the individual 29.99 unlimited data. So you MAY get away with it for a month, but not two years.

Part of the reason why you can't have a BB without data is the agreement VZW has with RIM. They subsidize the device price with the fine print saying that you have to have a data package. So to activate ANY smartphone (including winmo phones with wifi) as of November 2008, you must have some type of data package. The cheapest is 24.99 which is a 10 MB cap. It's better to just get 29.99 unlimited.

I am not a heavy user, but I still use over 100 MB every month of browsing/e-mail.
    Yeah,, no work around for removing that data plan. I forgot what's the deal with that $24.99 data plan. I've seen it before, but it's rarely used. It may be discontinued or either only used as a retention plan,, not sure...I forgot.
    Yeah,, the system knows what type of device it is immediately after the ESN is entered. Although the agreement is in fact between RIM and VZW,, VZW still has a similar plan for Smartphones,, same prices, but named differently.
    06-11-09 03:42 AM
    Let's not get into the whole discussion of why BB are only good with day or not.

If you want a BB I believe AT&T is the only one that allows it. T Mobile used to but recently switched over to require them on smartphones, especially blackberries.

Sprint has some reasonable plan options for Blackberry as well. They don't require you to pay extra for the data plan. However, they do require you to get on one of their special plans, like Everything Data or Simply Everything. The Everything Data plan has different levels of voice minutes at different prices and each includes unlimited data. However, the plans combine both your voice and data at one low price.
    06-11-09 03:56 AM
    Sprint may not require a separate feature to be added but by requiring you to have one of their simply everything plan, it's the same thing. It's just like Alltel. No data plan charge but you have to have a special rate plan that just includes a data feature. Just a gimmick.

06-11-09 08:52 AM
    So about 2 years ago I upgraded my personal phone to a 8703e. Of course vzw signed me up for the data plan, which I cancelled the day I got the phone. I then reactivated my dumb phone as my personal phone. I gave the 8703e to our IT dept and they put the company number data BES blah blah blah. (I had accidentally smashed 2 BBerries within the past 3 months and felt I needed to replace the phone on my dime)So that is where the idea came from to buy a BB and deactivate the data. I guess BB have advanced since those days.
    Thank you everyone for informing me that the policy has changed. Also to all that have asked why would someone want a BB without data all I can say is my dad is old fashioned and he doesnt want to change his lifestyle 2 years from retirement. I just talked him into HDTV.
    He really doesnt want to carry two devices and he likes his devices as small as possible. thats why the pearl flip would have been perfect if you could cancel data and sync with outlook through DM.
    I think he will be getting a palm now.
    06-11-09 09:55 AM
    This is what he wants:
    -A phone to make and recieve calls.
    -Sync with outlook so he plugs the phone to his CPU and it updates all the most recent messages to his phone or sends all the messages he wrote on his phone out via outlook.
    -something small and compact
    This is what he doesnt want:
    -The cost of a data plan
    -internet
    -mail messages beeping all the time
    -two devices

DM will not sync emails to his phone. If he wants to get his email PERIOD he has to have a data plan. The data plan cannot be removed bc it will cause an error for the rep who trys it.
    I'm sorry
    06-11-09 12:27 PM
    T-mobile is the only one you could buy and use it w/o a data plan.

You can have a Blackberry on Sprint without a data plan. It's a good idea to block internet and texting though, because that is covered by the $30 BB data pack.

Obviously you would do this on a SERO or voice only plan.
    06-11-09 02:50 PM
    Sprint may not require a separate feature to be added but by requiring you to have one of their simply everything plan, it's the same thing. It's just like Alltel. No data plan charge but you have to have a special rate plan that just includes a data feature. Just a gimmick.
    But don't people really get attracted to gimmicks, no matter what they might say to the contrary?

Think about it - most everything on a mobile plan is a gimmick. If we took away all of the gimmicks, we'd be left with service that cost something like $14.95 for the monthly service only & everything else would be extra. Five cents per minute calling or data, $6/mo for voicemail, $3/mo CID, etc. Who would go for a plan like that?

06-11-09 03:38 PM
    This is what he wants:
    -A phone to make and recieve calls.
    -Sync with outlook so he plugs the phone to his CPU and it updates all the most recent messages to his phone or sends all the messages he wrote on his phone out via outlook.
    -something small and compact
    This is what he doesnt want:
    -The cost of a data plan
    -internet
    -mail messages beeping all the time
    -two devices

Dude, tell your old man to suck it up and pay the data plan or get an env. The older Palms stink and are nothing to write home about. The Pearl isn't much better with its tiny screen and bastardized keyboard. There isn't anything you're going to do with a dataless smartphone that you can't do with an env or something similar.

06-11-09 04:51 PM
    OMG YOU CAN NOW HAVE BLACKBERRYS ON VERIZON WITH NO DATA PLAN! IT STARTED TODAY!

...not really, i didnt even read the entire thread but i gathered that its just like the rest of the threads asking the same thing every other day.
    06-11-09 05:55 PM
    i gathered that its just like the rest of the threads asking the same thing every other day.
    And twice on Sunday.

The heathens!

06-11-09 05:59 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD