06-21-09 02:08 PM
53 123
tools
    My Dad is ready to upgrade his phone. He is on the VZW network.
    This is what he wants:
    -A phone to make and recieve calls.
    -Sync with outlook so he plugs the phone to his CPU and it updates all the most recent messages to his phone or sends all the messages he wrote on his phone out via outlook.
    -something small and compact
    This is what he doesnt want:
    -The cost of a data plan
    -internet
    -mail messages beeping all the time
    -two devices

So My idea is for him to get a pearl flip and cancel the data plan after the first month then sync with DM for his email needs. Will this work?
    06-10-09 10:01 AM
    I thought with verizon you have to have the BB data plan on the phone. You are allowed to cancel it?
    06-10-09 10:11 AM
    No. You have to have to have the data on bb. Get him an old treo or a centro.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 10:15 AM
    vzn told me that you have to get a data plan with any smartphone not just bb.
    06-10-09 10:18 AM
    VZW will not allow any BB phone on their network w/o a data plan. Consider other smartphones for his desires and save him/you sometime. T-mobile is the only one you could buy and use it w/o a data plan.
    06-10-09 10:19 AM
    vzn told me that you have to get a data plan with any smartphone not just bb.

I wonder when that changed; I have a TREO with no data plan.
    06-10-09 10:21 AM
    I had an unlocked Palm Treo that didn't use a data plan. I used it for everything else but didn't need a plan. Keyword is UNLOCKED.
    06-10-09 10:22 AM
    My Dad is ready to upgrade his phone. He is on the VZW network.

-Sync with outlook so he plugs the phone to his CPU and it updates all the most recent messages to his phone or sends all the messages he wrote on his phone out via outlook.
    I don't even think this will work if he doesn't have data, Haven't tried it in a while but when I did it didn't transfer messages and send ones I composed on it. I might be totally wrong but like I said it has been a long time since I have done that.
    06-10-09 10:28 AM
    I believe the policy changed in March or something. If you had a device on their network before then it would be grandfathered in so you weren't be required to have one.
    06-10-09 10:28 AM
    It changed this year I think. I used to have a Moto Q and the data plan was optional. When me and the wife got our storms the rep told us that changed
    06-10-09 10:29 AM
    Wow. So if your monthly bill becomes too expensive and you need to trim some services i.e. data, you have to turn your BB back into VZW.
    06-10-09 10:32 AM
    why get a bberry if you dont want/need the data stuff? im sure you can get a regular phone that has a calendar to sync to
    06-10-09 10:33 AM
    I guess that makes sense. Otherwise someone might just get a BB as a phone that plays music and video and not get an ipod or something.
    06-10-09 10:33 AM
    What if you bought a BB and tried to use it on VZW network? As in bought a ebay BB.
    06-10-09 10:40 AM
    Any phone is subject to the data plan requirements, regardless of where you buy it.

BlackBerrys have required data plans for far longer than other smartphones. VZW included all smartphones in their data requirements in November 2008.

There were a few smartphone models that were grandfathered in which do not need a data plan, but these are few in number ml all are old tech.

All carriers have plans to require data plans on all smartphones within the next year, most by the end of the year.

It costs the carrier more to service & support a smartphone, plus it costs in subsidies on the phones themselves. It stands to reason that they should require data plans so everyone else is not subsidizing those who want the prestige of a smartphone without paying for it.

06-10-09 11:52 AM
    Get one of their premium phones instead of a smartphone. They have phones that you can do all that he wants with it and not have to deal with the data plan. The best advice though is to go into a vzw store and talk to them about it.

06-10-09 11:53 AM
    BlackBerrys have required data plans for far longer than other smartphones. VZW included all smartphones in their data requirements in November 2008.

There were a few smartphone models that were grandfathered in which do not need a data plan, but these are few in number ml all are old tech.

Interesting to know that things change. I will be more careful in the future. Gracias
    06-10-09 01:18 PM
    Not all smartphones require data plans. Only blackberries and phones that LAUNCHED meaning were released after 11/14/2008.

This is all the FAQ at the top of the page.
    06-10-09 01:20 PM
    Not all smartphones require data plans. Only blackberries and phones that LAUNCHED meaning were released after 11/14/2008.

This is all the FAQ at the top of the page.
    How many smartphones are currently available that were launched prior to that date that people who frequent here might be interested in?

The whole BlackBerry line, the Omnia, Saga, the new HTCs...all require data plans.

If I go to the Website to order, last time I looked, all smartphones automatically get a data plan, else the order won't continue.

06-10-09 03:55 PM
    I had an unlocked Palm Treo that didn't use a data plan. I used it for everything else but didn't need a plan. Keyword is UNLOCKED.
    what does unlocked have to do with anything? VZW prevents usage of devices by their ESN/MEID tables. unlocking = disabling device software that prevents using other carrier's SIM cards (btw vzw doesn't use SIM cards anyway...)

so i'm confused now...what does unlocking have to do with anything?
    06-10-09 04:12 PM
    1. It changed in november.
    2. Blackberry always required a data plan. Palm devices, winmo devices like the motoq that are sucktastic are the ones that don't require one.
    06-10-09 04:32 PM
    What if you bought a BB and tried to use it on VZW network? As in bought a ebay BB.

tried that one lol a no go, if you are asking verizon to join your phone to verizon and it is a smartphone/blackberry etc they want you to have a data plan or you do not get the connection.

a sticky in this forum just under ask a vzw rep explains it...question 2
    06-10-09 04:33 PM
    You Must sign up for a data plan for any Blackberry,You Do Not have to go for a data plan on any other smartphone. such as a palm,samsung,HTC touch ect...
    06-10-09 04:34 PM
    You Must sign up for a data plan for any Blackberry,You Do Not have to go for a data plan on any other smartphone. such as a palm,samsung,HTC touch ect...
    Sorry to say this is not true. Any PDA/Smart phone released by VZW on or after nov 14th 2008, requires a data plan.
    06-10-09 04:38 PM
    You Do Not have to go for a data plan on any other smartphone. such as a palm,samsung,HTC touch ect...
    You do if you want it to work on VZW.

06-10-09 04:39 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD