I am looking for a new phone for my daughter. She currently has a dare and is looking for an upgrade. She loves her Dad's Droid, but we don't want to spend Droid money on a phone for her. She loves the new Curve 3G, but I don't know if it will have enough of the "fun" factor for her. We would like a phone that is durable allows her to play some games, text and has a good music feature. She does like a real querty board but is used to a virtual keyboard. She does spend some time online, but the smaller data plan would be more than enough for her needs. We are on verizon and she is due for her upgrade. Thanks for all suggestions.
    12-04-10 02:48 PM
    Since she already has the Dare, she can get the all touch Droids: The Vortex or the Citrus. They are decently priced and offer the Droid experience.

I was trying to post a link but it didn't work.

Go to Set Your Location to look at the line up and compare the two...along with the others.
    12-04-10 04:29 PM
    There are other doid devices. While they have smaller screens the wow factor is there. Check out vzw.com to see what is available

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-10 06:37 PM
    Thanks for the help, I will look into the Citrus as well. Posted in the Android forum as well, but thought people might have ideas that didn't necessarily visit the android thread.
    12-05-10 02:32 AM
    If she goes BB don't forget there are lots of games and other apps she can get here at cb.com free & cheap. So, even though Androids may be more geared to entertainment, you can add your own to a BB and in doing so she adds only what she wants and doesn't have a bunch of apps that come w/the phone that she'll never use.
    12-05-10 02:36 AM
    If she goes BB don't forget there are lots of games and other apps she can get here at cb.com free & cheap. So, even though Androids may be more geared to entertainment, you can add your own to a BB and in doing so she adds only what she wants and doesn't have a bunch of apps that come w/the phone that she'll never use.
    She looked at the new curve and loves my BB, I was just worried that she would miss some of the "fun" features of the android. She uses her Dad's Droid a lot and kind of think the android phones have more fun features where I think of my BB as more of a work horse. Sounds silly I'm sure but I'm not used to thinking of BB as a teenager phone.
    12-05-10 03:04 AM
    Well, if that's silly then we're both silly together. I think of an Android as more of an entertainment center, too. You can prolly customize it just like you do a BB.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding or missing something so please don't take this as me being snide. If she's old enough to have a cell phone, isn't she old enough to make a decision which one she wants within the spending limits you set? Or if she wants something that costs more than what you tell her she can spend, is she old enough to help pay for it like with babysitting money or maybe work it off at home or ???
    12-05-10 04:14 AM
    The household teen had all the ATT current options and went with the Curve. Played with Droids and IPhones but is in love with that Curve. BB is a fine teen phone IMHO.

12-05-10 05:53 AM
    Well, if that's silly then we're both silly together. I think of an Android as more of an entertainment center, too. You can prolly customize it just like you do a BB.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding or missing something so please don't take this as me being snide. If she's old enough to have a cell phone, isn't she old enough to make a decision which one she wants within the spending limits you set? Or if she wants something that costs more than what you tell her she can spend, is she old enough to help pay for it like with babysitting money or maybe work it off at home or ???
    Yes she is, and she really likes the curve but I think she likes the look of it. I don't know if she has really thought about how she actually uses the different smart phones. She uses her Dad's Droid to play games and grabs my bold do other things. I personally prefer BB's but I don't want my preference influencing her decision either and want the best match for her needs. She's been looking at phones and there just isn't a ton of feedback on phones that aren't high end. I want her to have the research behind her decision so she doesn't have buyer's remorse later. This will be her phone for the next two years so she needs to be happy and informed about the pros and cons of the phone she chooses.
    12-05-10 05:07 PM
    If you purchase from Verizon directly, there is always the 30 return policy. She can get what she thinks she'd like, try it out and if not, swap it out for another one. Of course there is the restocking fee so that may not be ideal, but you kind of have to "live" with a phone for a few weeks to know if it's really for you or not.
    12-05-10 05:10 PM
    Very true @KJoFan. Remember you only get one swap though in that 30 day period. So if she gets a Curve 3G, swaps for a Droid, and than wants to go back to a Curve 3G...she won't be able to. If she likes the keyboard but wants the gaming and "fun" factor of the Android...the Droid Pro is on sale at Best Buy for 50 bucks!

12-05-10 08:23 PM
    True, I didn't necessarily consider you only get one shot at exchanging. I think if a physical keyboard is key factor I'd consider the Droid Pro. That's what I would get if I were getting a new Droid.
    12-05-10 08:42 PM
    My daughter was a "Dare" user also, & when she turned 16, the hubby & I allowed her to get a bb. She chose the S2, once again all touch, and she L.O.V.E.S.! It! (She does not game tho, she mainly bbm's, FB's & txs) Also, the factor helps here is that she works in the business her career is going to be, so she pays for her own data plan only. The hubby & I pay the "phone"part of the bill. Just another opinion
    Edit: One other thing I thought of with a bb, the $15 data plan may not be enough if your daughter starts using bbm, keep in mind that uses data as well. It might be a good idea to start with the unltd data plan, and then adjust down if need be

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 12-06-10 at 06:26 PM.
    12-06-10 06:12 PM
    If you haven't already done this, take your daughter to a Verizon store and let her check out what's available... nothing like actually having a phone in your hand to help figure out if it works well for you. And, there are plenty of user reviews available for each phone model on the VZW website too. Letting your teen do her own research will help make the decision hers, so she's more likely to be content with the phone until it's time for the next upgrade.
    12-06-10 11:56 PM
    We just got my 15yo son a Curve 3G...seems to like it so far....FWIW
    12-07-10 10:00 AM
    I'm 18 y/o and had an iPhone. I loved the ability to play music on it but it wasn't quite the texting experience I wanted. My parents switched to Verizon and I decided to get a BB. I never used games and the such on my phone so switching to a BB for me was amazing because of the full QWERTY keyboard and BBM
    12-07-10 12:15 PM
    Daughter had a BB Curve for several years and was teased to the point it was driving me nuts! At first she was the cat's meow with the BB she had everything at her finger tips, even her yahoo email! I forget the name of the phone she originally wanted, but it had **** poor rating as far as anything was concerned. Then like the weather she hated the BB and said only the geeks have them and she wanted a multimedia device. Basically a flip phone with a full size keyboard. They don't use the phone for email or talking it's a texting machine! I could save a **** load of money if they made a phone strictly for texting and nothing else.
    12-07-10 05:01 PM
    If you haven't already done this, take your daughter to a Verizon store and let her check out what's available... nothing like actually having a phone in your hand to help figure out if it works well for you. And, there are plenty of user reviews available for each phone model on the VZW website too. Letting your teen do her own research will help make the decision hers, so she's more likely to be content with the phone until it's time for the next upgrade.
    ^^^that is great advice

12-08-10 02:57 PM
    With all due respect, this thread could have been condensed with the one this person had put weeks prior, asking the same question in Android forum.
    12-08-10 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD