I switched to Verizon on April 14th. My billing cycle is up on the 24th, why I have no idea. This does mean that for those 10 days I have my full 450 minutes and 500 out of network texts correct?

If so then Verizon is probably less than 10 dollars off, they originally charged me all these overages since I guess they gave me around 10/31 of my full allotment of minutes and texts. They then credited my account something around 110 bucks but I don't know exactly what that went to credit, I am a very anal detail oriented person and very curious at the same time.

Also here is a list of the taxes I was charged, idk what some of them are and how can I calculate them myself.

Verizon Wireless' Surcharges and Other Charges & Credits
    Fed Universal Service Charge 5.29
    Regulatory Charge .14
    Administrative Charge 1.40
    Gross Receipts Surchg 8.86
    Cellular Service - Activation 35.00
    $50.69

The activation fee, I was never told anything about that but they gave me 35 bucks off for porting my number so I guess that is standard? I probably agreed to it somewhere in a contract I'm sure.

Taxes, Governmental Surcharges & Fees
    NY State E911 Fee 2.40
    Nassau Cnty 911 Surchg .60
    NY State Sales Tax 6.61
    Nassau Cnty Sales Tax 7.03
    NY Local McTd Sales Tax .61
    $17.25

These taxes I am assuming are for 4/14-4/23 and 4/24-5/23.

Thanks for all the help. I hate paying for things that I don't know what they are.
    05-01-08 06:48 PM
    I called Verizon and they told me how to calculate all of the surcharges and taxes.

First question I still need answered, thanks.
    05-01-08 07:07 PM
    from what i understand, they prorate, so 450 minutes/30 days= 15 minutes a day, they put you on a 10 day cycle, so technically if you go over 150 minutes in the short cycle, they can charge you for the over mins.
    That being said, i've never had a problem getting the overages taken off my bill.
    05-01-08 09:50 PM
    Yep, they prorate the first bill's minutes. Kind of stupid if you ask me. I never understood why they do that. It's just stupid.

Have I said it's stupid yet?
    05-01-08 11:01 PM
    With cell phone companies you are charged 1 month in advance for all charges and 1 month in arrears for minutes used.

Use a $100.00 service plan for the example below.
    If your bill cycle is from the 1st - 30th and you get your service activated on the 15th then your bill will be $150.00 plus act fee and taxes.
    You'll also get only half of your minutes and half of your text messages.
    05-01-08 11:12 PM
    I didn't know I only got a prorated share of the minutes and texts, I could of been paying out of my nose if they didn't credit my account. The credits come up about 10 bucks short, but if there is a possibility that they will say haha we're gonna now charge you the overages maybe I should keep my mouth shut. Anyone got any idea on what to do here. Plus where did this activation fee come from, I guess I have to pay that right?
    05-02-08 07:43 PM
    Verizon does not prorate the first partial month's minutes, only the charges. Texts might get prorated, I can't remember.
    05-03-08 06:59 PM
    Verizon does not prorate the first partial month's minutes, only the charges. Texts might get prorated, I can't remember.
    Verizon does prorate the minutes and the texts for the first partial month because this bit me in the *** when I upgraded my phone the last time....
    05-03-08 10:28 PM
    If you were upgrading, how was it your first month?

Again, the first month of service is not prorated for minutes, only the charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-08 10:35 PM
    If you were upgrading, how was it your first month?

Again, the first month of service is not prorated for minutes, only the charge.

I signed a new contract because I added a line and changed plans (added the unlimited text), and if they didn't prorate my minutes explain to me the overage charges from where I went over by 300 minutes (on a 1400 minute plan) when I only used like 500 minutes? I even called CSC and they said the plan was prorated.

This is a quote from: Verizon Wireless eStore
    "If I begin subscribing to wireless service in the middle of the month, do I still get all of my included minutes?

Not all, but a prorated portion in the first month.

Your rate plan provides included minutes based on a 30 day billing cycle. Therefore, if you activate service in the middle of a billing cycle, you will receive a prorated portion based on the number of days your service was active during your billing cycle. If you activate service mid-month, your monthly access charge will also be prorated."
    Last edited by mthomas1987; 05-03-08 at 10:42 PM.
    05-03-08 10:37 PM
    When I bumped to 1400, had overages my next bill, called cs and when they realized I am slow, they got rid of the overages, just be polite when you call.

05-03-08 10:48 PM
    IMO, Verizon has great customer service. As the previous post states, be polite, and they usually are very gracious about removing charges that you didn't expect. I've been with them for just over two years now and I've had instances where I had text messaging on my kids' phones (thought I had the right plan for them) and they went totally over on them. This was caused my a misunderstanding on my part, not anything Verizon did, and they upgraded both their phones to unlimited text and removed the enormous overage amounts.
    05-03-08 10:57 PM
    I've had great experiences with all their customer service reps, and had charges that were both their fault and my own refunded. And even though they shipped my Curve the wrong way (not Saturday delivery, just next business day), they gave me 100 exra minutes per line. The lady I spoke to was extremely nice, I have NEVER had a rude CSR at Verizon. I have called Sprint CS before and had the worst experience ever, I was on hold for over 30 minutes while they pulled up the account, and then transferred and placed on hold, and then they dropped my call.

(it was actually a good thing anyway that they shipped it wrong...I had a final presentation for class tonight and if I would have gotten my Curve today, at like 5 I would have realized I hadn't worked on it at all...LOL)
    05-03-08 11:03 PM
    Hmmmm cant really get a concensus here. I think that you do get the prorated minutes but customer service, in an effort not to **** you off in the first month, will credit your account, I was credited but not correctly, but can I really expect anything different.
    05-03-08 11:30 PM
    Haha thomas so true about being distracted.

Verizon customer service, both in store and on the phone, is just a complete disaster. The amount of incompetence on their part is unreal. They are nice however, but I am a smart a****** and would take that any day over incompetent a** kissing.
    05-03-08 11:33 PM
    The first months minutes as well as the charges are prorated. You also pay the first full month of service on the first bill. Im sure if you go back to the store, your salesman will waive the activation fee. I just paid my first bill, and it was almost 400.00. I had like a 28 day prorated period!
    05-04-08 10:17 AM
    Just curious...If you go into a VZW store can the rep do credits on your bill without the mgr's permission?
    05-04-08 10:23 AM
    No they cannot.

05-05-08 03:08 PM
    If I begin subscribing to wireless service in the middle of the month, do I still get all of my Included Minutes?

Even though you only pay the partial month access fee for your new Calling Plan, you do receive your full monthly allowance of minutes. Your Calling Plan provides Included Minutes based on a 30-day billing cycle. If you activate service in the middle of a billing cycle, you will receive a prorated access charge based on the number of days your service was active during your billing cycle. However, you will receive the full monthly allowance of minutes.
    Last edited by adamtech; 05-06-08 at 03:09 PM.
    05-06-08 01:47 PM
    Please read the billing FAQ on the Verizon wireless website. This has been their policy for about 2 years.

05-06-08 02:50 PM
    Verizon Wireless has many ways for us to check our MINUTES, TEXT MESSAGES, DATA USAGE and an EXPLANATION for BILLS on their MY ACCOUNT self serve website. It's free, easy to use and most informative. From your handset try #MIN or #646 for MINUTES USED, #DATA or #3282 for DATA AND TEXT MESSAGES, and from your PC login to my account click the "view my bill" link then under TOOLS & TIPS Understanding Your Bill select "view demo" it might take you a few attempts for the page to load.

To the fella that changed his calling plan in the middle of his bill cycle by adding a line and switching to a FS plan this is quite different than opening a brand new acct. You will most definitely see prorates with this kind of change because it is a CHANGE. Brand new customers should always expect to pay an activation fee as almost every cell carrier has one, but you will get your full allotment of minutes and text messages for the partial month. When looking at taxes and adjustments that are being made to your acct you have to consider that the government does not allow carriers to manually credit these charges you will see a tax credit automatically on the next invoice. I've had my issues with a few carriers and by far VZW does the best when assisting customers even if it's OUR MISTAKE not a billing error. Sometimes we have to take responsibility when we make purchases and ask questions as well as reading what we are to sign before signing it.
    05-08-08 09:07 PM
    Brand new customers should always expect to pay an activation fee as almost every cell carrier has one, but you will get your full allotment of minutes and text messages for the partial month.
    And thats not what they told me in store...they didn't say anything about proration. They said changing the plan wouldn't affect it.

Thats not what the Verizon website says...this is a quote directly from the website. The quote was found at the following link: Verizon Wireless eStore

"If I begin subscribing to wireless service in the middle of the month, do I still get all of my included minutes?

Not all, but a prorated portion in the first month.

Your rate plan provides included minutes based on a 30 day billing cycle. Therefore, if you activate service in the middle of a billing cycle, you will receive a prorated portion based on the number of days your service was active during your billing cycle. If you activate service mid-month, your monthly access charge will also be prorated."
    05-08-08 09:17 PM
    Omg Why Cant Verizon Do Math. Seriously!!!!
    05-09-08 11:58 PM
    Well according to VZW FAQ you get the full allowance of minutes, rep on phone insisted I was wrong. I had to refer her to the website and then she agreed with me, how is this not something they all know.

Do you also get the full allowance of texts or just a prorated share? I do not see anything on the VZW billing FAQ regarding this, the rep said you get a prorated share but she was wrong about the voice so I'm totally disregarding her comments.
    05-12-08 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD