After 3 hellish years of broken cell phones and awful cust. reps. at T-Mobile, I made the switch to Verizon in October of 2008. I've become addicted to my Curve 8330 and the most devastating thing happened two nights ago.

Accidentally knocked over a bottle of water, only a small splash landed on my BB. Took off the back cover, there was water on the battery and there appeared to be some wetness in the other crevices of the phone. I took the battery out and dried both that and the device. Put the battery back in (really stupid...I know. I didn't know that it would cause the device to short circuit before doing some research.) Phone turned back on and seemed to work fine, woke up the next morning and it wouldn't turn on. Placed it against a small fan for a period of time, then let the phone sit in a bed of rice for about a 24 hour period.

Results: When I remove the battery and put it back in, the phone will turn on and has a normal screen etc. I can scroll with the trackball but none of the buttons work. I can click away as I please both on the trackball and the letter buttons and nothing happens. Not even the convenience buttons on the side work. People can still call me and my laptop still recognizes the device when I plug in the USB but again, when I press the buttons nothing happens. After a few minutes of power, the phone always shuts off.

The water damage indicators on the device are still pure white and I can still see the pink X's on my battery.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm so in love with my BB and this is driving me crazy! I'm sure all of you can relate.

Soooooo here's my two part question:

After about a period of 36 hours, is there still hope to save my BB? What can I do to fix it? (have tried the rice, compressed air.) How much longer should I wait before bringing it to a Verizon store?

Second question, if the phone continues to fail and I have to bring it to a store, has anyone been in a similar situation and how did the Verizon reps handle it? If the water damage indicators are white are there other ways they can check for water damage? I've had this phone for less than a year so will they give me a new phone? How should I explain the situation to them?

I would appreciate it sooo much if you gave me any advice
    03-12-09 02:10 AM
    I had the same issue happen with my Curve. I work in a bar and got some water on my phone. I had the same issue with it loading and no buttons working and then it shutting off. I had had my phone for about 3 months at the time, and also had the warranty option. Both of my water indicators were fine, like yours. I took it in and didn't mention the water issue since the indicators were ok. After the tech looked at it for about ten minutes, he said he thought the operating system just crashed and put me on the phone with Verizon Tech support. They sent me a refurbished one from the factory, and all I had to pay was two day shipping (3-5 day shipping is free, but I couldn't wait). I sent my old one back, they make you do this, and never heard anything else about it.

I would take it in and play dumb about the water, they'll give you a refurbished one in the store if they have one, or send you one like they did with me.

Hope this helped.
    03-12-09 04:26 AM
    If you have insurance make a claim. If you play dumb as stated above. You could be charged full replacement cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 09:31 AM
    If you have insurance make a claim. If you play dumb as stated above. You could be charged full replacement cost.

Just return it. Don't don't take any $hit from dumb Verizon Reps. The first thing they accused me of was getting water in the phone. Then when I told them there was no way that had occurred, and if they could find the water indicators that had changed colors I would believe them. They couldn't find the indicators and I had to point them out. I ended up on the phone with Verizon since my OS had crashed and wouldn't reload. Same deal, sent me one overnighted, and sent mine back. Haven't heard a word from them since.
    03-12-09 10:38 AM
    Just return it. Don't don't take any $hit from dumb Verizon Reps. The first thing they accused me of was getting water in the phone. Then when I told them there was no way that had occurred, and if they could find the water indicators that had changed colors I would believe them. They couldn't find the indicators and I had to point them out. I ended up on the phone with Verizon since my OS had crashed and wouldn't reload. Same deal, sent me one overnighted, and sent mine back. Haven't heard a word from them since.
    lastraid is FAR from a dumb Verizon Rep, he is one of THE most helpful of their Reps/techs that are also CBers. He has helped many people here and I don't appreciate you calling him dumb! He's offering his opinion, and he did say could. I might be inclined to play dumb myself on this issue, BUT he is correct there is ALWAYS a chance you will get caught and charged full retail, he was just trying to point that out. There was no need for a personal attack! I suggest you do the right thing and rewrite, or delete your post. (in which case I will delete mine. )
    Last edited by pkcable; 03-12-09 at 11:12 AM.
    03-12-09 11:06 AM
    I don't think he was saying the forum member is dumb.

My girlfriend's Sprint phone was set in some water from condensation from a glass, I quickly wiped it off and months later the phone wouldn't come on. We took it into a repair store, they of course checked the water indicators first thing and said the phone had water damage that we had to call the insurance company.

Any time you make a claim with Asurion and send the phone back though, you'd better not be trying to pull their leg because they will charge you for the replacement device when they check it and see it's damaged. I'm not sure in your case if they have other ways to know.
    03-12-09 11:37 AM
    Thank you so much everyone for your help! I really appreciate it, I think I'm just going to bring into a Verizon corporate store and see if they can give me a refurbished phone.
    03-12-09 01:05 PM
    I think some of you are making more of this than needed.

From what I understand, having the insurance takes you off the hook altogether. If warranty, VZW replaces. If damaged, lost, stolen, sat on, water-skied or played basketball with, then Asurion covers.

It doesn't matter what you say the issue was.

The big difference is in the $50 deductible, an amount not worth arguing about.

With my insurance (not thru VZW/Asurion) it doesn't matter what caused the issue. If the phone doesn't work, it gets replaced with a new one. Or I can go through one of several credit-card protection plans I have.

03-12-09 01:46 PM
    I would certainly try to get Verizon to replace it. We all know it's entirely hit-or-miss with the reps.

One time I had to pay full retail because my water-damage indicators had turned, but it was from a non-fatal event months before where I saved it from dying. When it totally stopped ringing months later, I couldn't prove that it wasn't related to the water exposure. And maybe it was, how would I know?

Anyway, worst-case scenario, hit up eBay. I just scored a mint silver 8330 for $175.
    03-12-09 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD