Background:

My parents are deaf, and they have moved out of state. They return to the state I live in for ~ 2 months out of the year and stay at a location without Phone lines or Intenet active. During these times it is very difficult to get a hold of them. They are reluctant to spend $$$ on a mobile data plan. My wife and I curretly have a family plan and I am curious what would be the best options available. And are there any other costs I should be made aware of?

Should my wife and I add a 3rd line to our plan adding the $9.99 text plan?

Should we activly encourage them to set up the Hearing Impared plan with VZW? I believe the plan with text is in the neighborood of $50-60?

Any otehr options I'm missing?
    06-02-09 04:28 PM
    You should just do the add a line. cheaper for them and convienent for you and as a son you can just pick up the tab and look like a hero to boot.
    thats my opinion
    Last edited by bigstuck419; 06-02-09 at 10:42 PM.
    06-02-09 10:38 PM
    You should just do the add a line. cheaper for them and convienent for you and as a son you can just pick up the tab and look like a hero to boot.
    thats my opinion
    Agreed...it'll be inexpensive for you...free for them...and much less of a headache
    06-02-09 10:45 PM
    My vote is that same add a third line for the 9.99 and a text plan. This would be the best option.
    06-03-09 07:26 AM
    Yup, I agree, depending on the text plan you get them, it would be pretty inexpensive for you, so it would definitely be worth it. You might want to check verizon's coverage in your parents' area first though. I'm sure it'll be fine but you never know

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 07:55 AM
    Make sure you get them a phone that can be set to vibrate (most can) and possibly one that has a LED or other visible way to see a phone is ringing.
    06-03-09 08:39 AM
    Thanks for the input guys!

I'll have to stop into a store and see what phone would be the most user friendly for them
    06-05-09 11:10 AM
    there is also the q9c from verizon, which is expensive now because it has a feature called talks for the hearing impaired.
    06-05-09 12:07 PM
    there is also the q9c from verizon, which is expensive now because it has a feature called talks for the hearing impaired.
    Ummm. It is called TALKS, however it's for the VISUALLY impaired, not hearing impaired.
    06-08-09 02:54 AM
    Cheapest route would be to add the line for 9.99. You can pick them up a EnV type phone to give them the qwerty keyboard. If you have a Select family plan the unlimited txt/pix/flix will also be on their phone.
    06-08-09 03:27 PM
    Add a line. Do not get text plan. Enable TTY mode on Cell. Job done.
    06-09-09 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD