After 5 storm 1's in 3-4 months the vzw tech suggested I try a S2. Well get the S2 in today and start looking through the paperwork and notice all this print about new etf fees.

My multi fru replacement s2 would cause me to accept a $350 etf if i accepted it. I sent it back and consider myself lucky for reading paperwork included in the box.

Not complaining, just trying to show the importance of looking through your packages.

That is all.

Thanks.
    12-03-09 10:15 PM
    Wow u ALMOST got screwed over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 10:18 PM
    After 5 storm 1's in 3-4 months the vzw tech suggested I try a S2. Well get the S2 in today and start looking through the paperwork and notice all this print about new etf fees.

My multi fru replacement s2 would cause me to accept a $350 etf if i accepted it. I sent it back and consider myself lucky for reading paperwork included in the box.

Not complaining, just trying to show the importance of looking through your packages.

That is all.

Thanks.
    haha.. so they "suggested" you upgrade? You would have had to call the 1-800 number to activate it where it would then advise you of the new 2 year contract with the ETF.

Something to add though - multi-fru does not create a new contract, but it will extend your NE2 date 20 months. What high life got was an upgrade.
    12-03-09 10:23 PM
    If you don't plan on leaving, I have no idea why that matters.
    12-03-09 10:25 PM
    when I was sent the S2 they offered me to replace my tour I saw this. When I talked to VZW corporate they told me that all current contracts with smart phones have the new ETF. Its in the fine print that it can change to meet the needs of business. So I just went to the storm 2
    12-03-09 10:28 PM
    haha.. so they "suggested" you upgrade? You would have had to call the 1-800 number to activate it where it would then advise you of the new 2 year contract with the ETF.

Something to add though - multi-fru does not create a new contract, but it will extend your NE2 date 20 months. What high life got was an upgrade.
    I dont think he got a multi fru- the paperwork he received is with all orders. the order fullfillment dept just boxes the orders. I got the papers too and mine was not an upgrade just a multi fru
    12-03-09 10:32 PM
    when I was sent the S2 they offered me to replace my tour I saw this. When I talked to VZW corporate they told me that all current contracts with smart phones have the new ETF. Its in the fine print that it can change to meet the needs of business. So I just went to the storm 2
    That's incorrect. All current contracts keep the same $175 etf until they renew their contract and get another smartphone. IF you upgrade and sign a new contract, your etf will go up. Or as in this case, IF you get a multiexchange the etf fee wil go up as well.
    12-03-09 10:36 PM
    From the official policy:

ETF Policy
    Updated:11/17/2009 14:56:24

Policy & Eligibility
    If a customer cancels service early or if Verizon Wireless terminates their service for good cause, then the customer is charged an ETF (Early Termination Fee) per line of up to:

$175, or
    $350 (if the customer's contract term results from the purchase of an advanced device after 11/14/2009).
    Note:

The higher ETF associated with advanced device purchases fairly reflects the higher costs associated with offering feature rich advanced devices to customers at attractive prices and investing in our network to support these devices.
    The $175 ETF decreases by $5 a month and the $350 ETF decreases by $10 a month for each full month the customer completes.
    The up to $350 ETF does not apply to CLEU (Corporate Liable End User) lines of businesses with a MAA (Major Account Agreement) and ECPD (Enterprise Customer Profile Database) profile, Government and Telemetry accounts.
    Effective 11/15/2009, refer to https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=OJNafZuv for devices that qualify as advanced.
    12-03-09 10:40 PM
    From the official policy:

ETF Policy
    Updated:11/17/2009 14:56:24

Policy & Eligibility
    If a customer cancels service early or if Verizon Wireless terminates their service for good cause, then the customer is charged an ETF (Early Termination Fee) per line of up to:

$175, or
    $350 (if the customer's contract term results from the purchase of an advanced device after 11/14/2009).
    Note:

The higher ETF associated with advanced device purchases fairly reflects the higher costs associated with offering feature rich advanced devices to customers at attractive prices and investing in our network to support these devices.
    The $175 ETF decreases by $5 a month and the $350 ETF decreases by $10 a month for each full month the customer completes.
    The up to $350 ETF does not apply to CLEU (Corporate Liable End User) lines of businesses with a MAA (Major Account Agreement) and ECPD (Enterprise Customer Profile Database) profile, Government and Telemetry accounts.
    Effective 11/15/2009, refer to https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=HoGpVIfu for devices that qualify as advanced.

Ok I stand corrected..sorry, Just another reason not to trust the verizon Employees. (corporate or stores)
    12-03-09 11:06 PM
    My guess is, the OP got a new phone, and it appears that all brand new phones, will come with the information about contracts an whatnot. But your contract will not extend unless you call the 800 number, enter some credentials, and agree to the new contract end date. Sending the phone back only delayed a resolution to your phone issue. You should have called in and just made sure you're contract end date would have remained the same, because it likely would have....

Again this may not be the case, but from what has been provided this is what I think happened.

12-03-09 11:33 PM
    Called in. No contract extension, just $350 etf added. Glad I called and checked.

It was a new phone for sure. I would have been happier with an 8330. Shame on me for wanting the "new" phone when it was time to sign a 2yr agreement. For now on I will stick with what works.
    12-03-09 11:47 PM
    No 350 unless yourcontract was extended, or signed after 11/14/09
    12-04-09 07:38 AM
    Ok I stand corrected..sorry, Just another reason not to trust the verizon Employees. (corporate or stores)
    Oh for sure, also don't trust people at McDonald's I had one guy make a mistake on my order so I don't trust them anymore.
    Tools...
    12-04-09 07:49 AM
    I too trust CrackBerry members over the employees...
    12-04-09 08:39 AM
    If you don't plan on leaving, I have no idea why that matters.
    +1 to that for sure!
    12-04-09 08:54 AM
    Principle. You never know where you will be in 6 months much less 20 months. If the etf from the start was $350 I would have never signed up in the first place.

12-04-09 10:00 AM
    Why Exactly?
    12-04-09 10:30 AM
    Well there is a simple solution to the ETF, pay full retail. No contract, no ETF, no complaining! There ya go!
    12-04-09 10:41 AM
    Looks like I'm grandfathered in for one more 175. Of course I have never incured an ETF, so what does it really matter?
    12-04-09 12:33 PM
    Principle. You never know where you will be in 6 months much less 20 months..
    If thats the case and you end up being somewhere you don't get service, that is different. That is a legit reason to cancel and fees generally get waived.

If the etf from the start was $350 I would have never signed up in the first place
    Why? Worried about something?
    12-04-09 05:46 PM
    Well there is a simple solution to the ETF, pay full retail. No contract, no ETF, no complaining! There ya go!
    But mom, I want my cake and ice cream too!

(I agree 190% with you mario)
    12-04-09 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD