Is there a way to activate my phone on Verizon without dialing *228? As I'm outside of the US (I'm in Canada for the summer and had my replacement shipped here), it tells me that "I've dialed a number that is temporarily disconnected and it can't connect my call". How do I got about activating it if I can't do it over the air?
    05-07-10 01:22 AM
    You can activate your phone on the verizon website. Just go to your account and there should be a link on the right side of the screen.
    05-07-10 01:31 AM
    I have done this already, but it still says on my phone that I have to dial *228 for it to do OTA programming. I just don't know how to do that since I'm in Canada.
    05-07-10 01:41 AM
    Call customer service...I've never heard of that issue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-10 02:05 AM
    Well it makes sense because I'm currently not on Verizon's network. I'm roaming, so dialing *228 wouldn't connect me to Verizon's OTA programming..
    05-07-10 02:09 AM
    Well it makes sense because I'm currently not on Verizon's network. I'm roaming, so dialing *228 wouldn't connect me to Verizon's OTA programming..
    That's it. You can not activate it in Canada.
    05-07-10 03:03 AM
    You can. A friend who lives in British Columbia under the same circumstances, and myself, did it last year. It's just a total blur as to how it is done.
    05-07-10 03:46 AM
    I am just replying to this thread in case any one searches for the same issue I am having, which is activating a phone outside of Verizon's networks (roaming). Most people will tell you the *228 is the only way, but they are wrong. I went through about four people, and you must MANUALLY program your phone. You press ##000000, SEND, then you require the numbers from a Verizon customer service employee. Once these are filled out, you have manually programmed your phone, instead of doing it over the air. It is a two step process to activate your phone. Hope this helps someone else.
    05-07-10 03:31 PM
    I am just replying to this thread in case any one searches for the same issue I am having, which is activating a phone outside of Verizon's networks (roaming). Most people will tell you the *228 is the only way, but they are wrong. I went through about four people, and you must MANUALLY program your phone. You press ##000000, SEND, then you require the numbers from a Verizon customer service employee. Once these are filled out, you have manually programmed your phone, instead of doing it over the air. It is a two step process to activate your phone. Hope this helps someone else.
    That is correct however, because you can not manually program the PRL there is no way to program the phone for roaming in Canada. Good job looking up the information though.
    05-07-10 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD