I have a curve and am spending more time over in europe recently.

I don't want a storm, and am waiting for the niagra, but until then, let me know if the following will work:

1. Get an ATT go phone phone. If I understand this correctly, I can just use this phone with a sim card that I purchase over there? I realize that it will be a different phone number.

1a. I could also use this phone here for a younger child who doesn't have a phone and I don't want pay for a monthly plan. So I could just purchase minutes via a card or something like that? (not sure how this works, if anyone knows, please enlighten me).

2. Do the same thing with an 'unlocked' phone. I am not quite certain what unlocked exactly is, but if I understand, I can get an unlocked smartphone, like treo or htc, and get a sim card when overseas. However, can I use an unlocked phone here in states with prepaid minutes, or do I need a plan? Assuming unlocked phones are all gsm, and have to be on tmo or att?

Thanks for any help.
    02-21-09 09:43 AM
    I doubt your curve will work in many places in europe. 8330 does not have SIM capability at all. You can check out www.vzw.com/International This site is awesome for international info and VZW does have a global phone rental program, or you might rent one in europe.
    02-21-09 09:47 AM
    right. I know that my curve does not work overseas. not doubt. it wont. what i am asking about is about using a go phone or unlocked phone as a secondary device.
    02-21-09 02:10 PM
    Go phones are pre-pay, not sure if they have global go-phones. If you get unlocked phone from another network, I doubt VZW will let it get activated. again, I would look at global rental or rent over there.
    02-21-09 02:14 PM
    thanks for the help, but you are missing the point. I am not trying to activate on vzw. i was hoping that i could just get a go phone from att, and get a sim card over in europe and it work.
    02-21-09 04:08 PM
    Then in this case - I would call ATT and find out
    02-21-09 04:15 PM
    I have a curve and am spending more time over in europe recently.

I don't want a storm, and am waiting for the niagra, but until then, let me know if the following will work:

1. Get an ATT go phone phone. If I understand this correctly, I can just use this phone with a sim card that I purchase over there? I realize that it will be a different phone number.

1a. I could also use this phone here for a younger child who doesn't have a phone and I don't want pay for a monthly plan. So I could just purchase minutes via a card or something like that? (not sure how this works, if anyone knows, please enlighten me).

2. Do the same thing with an 'unlocked' phone. I am not quite certain what unlocked exactly is, but if I understand, I can get an unlocked smartphone, like treo or htc, and get a sim card when overseas. However, can I use an unlocked phone here in states with prepaid minutes, or do I need a plan? Assuming unlocked phones are all gsm, and have to be on tmo or att?

Thanks for any help.
    Hey, AT&T rep here, with some answers to your questions.

AT&T's go-phones are not quad-band, with the exception on the motorola razr if you can still find one. This is important because the other gophones do not have the frequencies required to get signal in Europe. On a related note, if you did find a Gophone that is quad- band, it would be programmed/"locked" to only accept an AT&T SIM card. So without paying a 3rd party for the unlock code, it wouldn't work either. AT&T will not provide unlock codes for GoPhones. So, this also pertains to your other question about unlocked phones. A phone either gets unlocked, or comes from the factory unlocked and will take any GSM SIM card, however the phone itself needs the frequencies of the area you are going to be traveling. If you are going to use it in Europe and the US, the easiest way to do it is purchase an unlocked quad band phone, as this will guarantee you coverage capabilities. At any time you could use it for a youngster for prepaid, or postpaid with AT&T or tmobile when you are done traveling. Hope this helps, PM me if you have more questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 12:17 AM
    Hey..

VZW rep here.. lol..

Anyway, how long are you going over seas for? VZW has a program called the Global Travel Program. With this program we would loan you a 8830 world edition for up to 30 days. This is a one time fee of $9.99 for shipping which covers to you and back to us.

Now you arent supposed unlock these loaner phones; however, I dont think anyone would know the better if you did. lol. But in all reality, I dont know that activating a go phone would be the best idea provided the information above from the AT&T rep..

What I may recomend if you are not interested in the global loaner program would be contacting Vodafone directly and seeing what they may have in the way of something prepaid for you while you are in Europe.

You are welcome to hit me up if you have any other questions
    02-26-09 09:17 AM
    hi, livinitup68 - -are you still with VZW?
    12-16-09 04:08 PM
    You may want to ask your VZW question in the VZW Rep area. You'll be more exposed there.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ask-vzw-rep-74197/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD