I recently called VZW to have my phone SIM unlocked for my upcoming trip to the UK (I have a UK SIM through O2 that I'd rather use). They walked me through the process on the phone and it was surprisingly simple.

Today I got a prompt on my Tour to upgrade my phone. I did, and was told that it upgraded successfully. Most of my applications, etc., are working as if I have just begun using the phone. I was asked to re-enter my Facebook sign-in information, and some of my icons were re-arranged.

I am worried that my phone has also been locked again if it went back to its original settings. How exactly can I check to make sure my phone hasn't been SIM locked again?

On a related note, once I get to the UK, how exactly to I switch to my new network on my phone?

Thanks for any help you have,
    Brittany
    01-08-10 05:03 PM
    No, once unlocked, forever unlocked. Go to Opt->Adv. Opt-> SIM -> BB Button type MEPD. Network will show Inactive if your phone's unlocked.
    01-08-10 05:06 PM
    Might want to change your device profile. Curve will not work in the UK

With this in mind, when you arrive or even before you leave, make sure your moible network is set to global, if this does not work change to GSM.

options>mobile network>network technology
    01-08-10 05:24 PM
    Thanks for the help, everyone. Looks like everything is fine. Just worried about getting over there and my phone not working for six months!
    01-08-10 05:29 PM
    Hi,

"Once locked, always unlocked" is not necessarily true.
    A device upgrade can re-lock a phone. BTDT.
    Had it happen on my Storm I. Had to call and have them unlock it again after the upgrade to 5.0xxxx.

So just in case; after you do an update, check.
    01-08-10 06:21 PM
    No, once unlocked, forever unlocked. Go to Opt->Adv. Opt-> SIM -> BB Button type MEPD. Network will show Inactive if your phone's unlocked.
    When I did the check you mentioned, it says "Network Active", but at the top banner it says "SIM Card Security Disabled".

What gives? I unlocked my original Tour and then received a replacement and did the Switch Device Wizard. Is my Tour unlocked?

EDIT:
    I just inserted a TMO SIM and it asked me for the MEP Code, so Im guessing it is not unlocked.
    Last edited by cenloe; 01-08-10 at 10:01 PM.
    01-08-10 09:50 PM
    Hi,

"Once locked, always unlocked" is not necessarily true.
    A device upgrade can re-lock a phone. BTDT.
    Had it happen on my Storm I. Had to call and have them unlock it again after the upgrade to 5.0xxxx.

So just in case; after you do an update, check.
    The bad thing is, you can only have one unlock every 10 months per line. Unless it was for warranty issues.
    01-08-10 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD