09-07-09 10:57 AM
88 1234
tools
    wow u guys are about ********, did i ever say i wanted to switch, nope. just sayin we should have the option to have the phone and no data if we want. myself i think its pointless
    Well it's not going to happen. End of story. So the option is to either switch or get a dumbphone.
    08-21-09 01:22 PM
    Okay, everyone calm down. This thread has caused a lot of uproar when it was a simple question, maybe not the best one, but it was just a question...we should all relax and take a rest for a little bit LOL
    08-21-09 01:23 PM
    Verizon Customer Service Agreement. Make no mention of what the OP wants to do is wrong. They would just be responsible for the ETF of $175. I thought it might say you can't buy another phone within xx days, but couldn't find anything like that.
    08-21-09 01:26 PM
    wow u guys are about ********, did i ever say i wanted to switch, nope. just sayin we should have the option to have the phone and no data if we want. myself i think its pointless
    We aren't ********. We're grownups who, when posed with a problem with our service, we put on our big boy pants and take care of the situation. So... if its too expensive. Go elsewhere.
    08-21-09 01:28 PM
    I am not saying what the OP mentioned is wrong to do or right to do, but I am saying that this entire thread in general has caused an unfortunate response by the public and therefore should be closed. That's all...
    08-21-09 01:28 PM
    I think thinking about the pricing, say you order online: $199+175 (ETF)+80 (one month of service) = $454, which is probably near or below Vzw's cost for the phone.

I don't think you get rebates unless the line is active.
    08-21-09 01:41 PM
    I don't think this guy wants to listen. He wants to go spend the money and try this out lets let him. To the OP have you tried this yet? Or just wanted to start a thread for us all to argue about lol
    08-21-09 01:44 PM
    Screw it. lets just wait and see what happens. I doubt he goes through with it. Sorry about my horrible analogy some of us have had phones stolen. I guess its not the same he isn't breaking the law but he is knowingly trying to trick the system. Normally I am down for all of this I like the theories and ideas that ppl come up with to tricking the system but this is just dumb.
    hmm...how is this any different from people getting on crackberry and downloading and using tetherberry which clearly violates your terms of service???

just my .02
    08-22-09 02:09 PM
    hmm...how is this any different from people getting on crackberry and downloading and using tetherberry which clearly violates your terms of service???

just my .02
    It honestly isnt. I think people are making a big deal of it because it [I]seems[I] he is ripping off verizon.

But is he really?

Well, the plan he wants to go on is 49.99 a month, which means for one month, of service he will pay 100 dollars. Then he has to pay activation which is 35 dollars apiece.

Then he has to pay the reguar price for one phone, which is 300.00, and they will not give him a rebate if the phone isnt active, and also, he has to pay 100 dollars for the second, as the phones are free after rebate.

So all in all, he pays 100+70+300+100+350 for a total of 920 dollars.

Two phones full retail cost 960, it really, isnt worth it to him, and honestly, outside of the churn rates, doesnt really put a dent in vzw.
    08-22-09 02:53 PM
    you guys are ridiculous. Seems like one guy wants to flame, and all the sheep jump on the bandwagon to flame as well

Anyways, to whoever started the thread. This can be done and there is nothing wrong with it. You activate, get a new phone, let a month go by. By then you are locked into the 2 yr contract, so if you want out of the contract you simply pay the ETF ($175), and BAM just like that you are out of your contract and you can sell your phone or add it onto another line if you have one. This is no different than cancelling a few months later because you want to jump carriers. Same thing for all carriers and you will NOT be charged both the etf and the phones retail price.

But if you are doing this for profit, the only way i can see it working is if you take advantage of a buy one get one free offer. Otherwise after all the fees, you really wont be making much, if any, profit.

BTW for the doubters, I've done this before, not for profit. Just simply tried out a nextel, had it for 2 months and decided it was not for me. Paid the etf and sold the phone to cover the cost of an iphone.
    08-22-09 11:27 PM
    But if you are doing this for profit, the only way i can see it working is if you take advantage of a buy one get one free offer. Otherwise after all the fees, you really wont be making much, if any, profit.
    I don't think you could even make a profit if it was BOGO because you can only get two if you have two qualifying lines, which would mean two lines of service for a month, two activation fees and two ETFs. Cha-ching! That's a lot of moola and idk if you can get enough from ebay or CL to make up for it. I've never done it though so I'm only speculating...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 12:06 AM
    i guess it would all depend on the type of phone you get. But yeah this is really not worth the hassle if you just want to sell the phones after cancelling.
    08-23-09 12:23 AM
    Why do people argue with VZW reps who have seen this exact scenario play out?
    08-23-09 03:06 PM
    just go to best buy...add a line there, then cancel it. vzw cant make you return the equipment b/c they have no control over best buy inventory.

sure people are gonna say this doesnt work but i know someone who has done it so many times hes banned from the best buy store.

now have i ever done this? **** no. would i? i dont think so...

just get irritated w/ people that act like they never break rules yet im pretty sure some of them violate their TOS by using tetherberry...just a thought...
    08-23-09 03:45 PM
    I would like to buy a Blackberry Tour, get another one free, activate 2 data only lines, keep them for a month and then cancel the lines and keep the phones. The way I figure it would cost me about $280 per phone to do this. Has anyone had any success doing this? Or is it a bad idea?
    .. Why, though?
    08-23-09 07:29 PM
    Seems like we have another question regarding stealing..

I say you are right it is not stealing and VZW knows that people like you are out there doing this. They pay almost nothing for the phones. To be honest I have to say I think they run these promotions in hopes this will happen.

If you get any replys saying it's stealing. Please ask them if they are posting from there UNLOCKED phones. The ones they call there carriers and tell them they are leaving the country just have the code mailed to them. OR they come on here to find out how to UNLOCK them.

Not sure but I have to say that VZW might think they were stealing..

I say don't worry about it and the worst thing that could happen is you payfor the phone.
    08-23-09 07:52 PM
    The only problem I do see with whole thing is if you do it and VZW for some reason cuts you off from them and you try to sign with another company. I am not sure if they can see that you canceled another contract and if they can they might charge you a deposit.

PS> I wonder if this would show up on your credit report?
    08-23-09 08:03 PM
    Um wouldn't it get super expensive though having to pay the ETF on top of what you paid for the phones and data plans?
    08-23-09 08:16 PM
    remember a lot of people were doing this when the storm came out. They brought and then canceled and sold it on ebay. I would do it but to each is own.
    08-23-09 08:19 PM
    I guess I'll be waiting til November to get a new Blackberry. I do think the carriers should come up with a way to get you into a new device a little bit cheaper then paying full retail if it's not time to upgrade yet. I know they are in the biz to make money but it ticks me when they are coming out with the so called latest and greatest every 4-6 months when you have 20 freakin' more months to go on your contract. Each month that goes by, your phone should have a trade-in $ amount that could serve as a down payment so to speak or in terms of a Blackberry device, how about a $250.00 flat payment of upgrade if we are in the beginning or mid way point of our contracts. Just some food for thought in my head. Then perhaps people would not be going thru the "by any means necessary" to that new Blackberry. I can't speak for everyone else but at the moment, I don't have a money tree in the yard nor have I been able to eat green paper and **** money; just hate going into VZW to pay my bill each month with the new Blackberry devices sitting on their little cradles just whispering to me; psst, you know you want me, you know you want me, come touch me, send a txt from me but oh, I forgot, you can't upgrade yet! Hee hee hee. I'm sorry, that's how I feel!
    08-23-09 08:22 PM
    I guess I'll be waiting til November to get a new Blackberry. I do think the carriers should come up with a way to get you into a new device a little bit cheaper then paying full retail if it's not time to upgrade yet. I know they are in the biz to make money but it ticks me when they are coming out with the so called latest and greatest every 4-6 months when you have 20 freakin' more months to go on your contract. Each month that goes by, your phone should have a trade-in $ amount that could serve as a down payment so to speak or in terms of a Blackberry device, how about a $250.00 flat payment of upgrade if we are in the beginning or mid way point of our contracts. Just some food for thought in my head. Then perhaps people would not be going thru the "by any means necessary" to that new Blackberry. I can't speak for everyone else but at the moment, I don't have a money tree in the yard nor have I been able to eat green paper and **** money; just hate going into VZW to pay my bill each month with the new Blackberry devices sitting on their little cradles just whispering to me; psst, you know you want me, you know you want me, come touch me, send a txt from me but oh, I forgot, you can't upgrade yet! Hee hee hee. I'm sorry, that's how I feel!
    Hey I feel ya... Everyone wishes they could get a new phone every few months... Since I became a "crackberry" I drool at the prospect of a pretty new OS and how its going to be so so speedy and wonderful. My friend txt me tonite telling me that Tmo just launched that new curve with the virtual trackball... first thing I wanted to do was go down there and just touch it...
    When I come back to reality; I realize that I have a great device and even though its not the latest phone it works just right and isnt broken, I can ignore the haunting siren calls of the Bold, Storm, Tour, 8900 and soon to come Storm 2 ect ect... I guess I just have to wait.
    If what was suggested was a good idea; I think at least ONE of the major companies would have rolled on it. Unfortunately its not realistic and no company is ever going to give you a "trade in" value for your phone... it would be awsome... but they dont and will never.
    08-23-09 08:30 PM
    Well I got my Tour... I didn't use any "dirty" EFT trick to get it. I bought it out right. I chose that route mostly because I hate dealing with the Verizon morons at the store. If I go in there for the simplest of tasks... like buying a car charger, it will take 45 minutes.

I LOVE THE TOUR!
    08-23-09 10:49 PM
    IMO, it'd be just as expensive to pay full retail. You'd be charged the ETF, first month's bill, etc...

Not technically against any rules, but is it really worth that trouble? Just go the craigslist route and check the ESN to make sure it's clear before forking over any cash.

BTW, the line must be active for at least two months and be in good standing before an unlock may be done. Just making sure ya know.

just go to best buy...add a line there, then cancel it. vzw cant make you return the equipment b/c they have no control over best buy inventory.
    VERY bad idea. Indirect dealers often have their own fees and contracts.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 08-24-09 at 01:07 AM.
    08-24-09 01:04 AM
    with my corporate discount its only 30 additional dollars on top of the 2 year price to get a 1 year contract...new phone every 10 months versus 20....
    08-24-09 12:29 PM
    Any word on whether or not this worked?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 05:05 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD